Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a call about 3:00 today from my hysterical mother in law. The neighbors dog (german shepherd) came into their yard and attacked one of her Yorkies. It puncture the lung, and the poor little fella didn't make it.:( This was the third time this dog came into their yard causing problems. Each time the neighbor was informed of the problem.:rant::rant::rant:

PLEASE be a responsible pet owner and keep your dog tied up, or fenced.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
See.... sad story but law suit come on its a dog,

The aggressive dog should be put down and the owner of that dog should have to pay to replace the other dog (or vet bills) not be milked for thousands and thousands of dollars

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I am sorry for the loss of a friend. What a shame when someone does not have the decency to respect anothers rights, home and property. You would of thought that after one such event, the neighbor would of had some common sense and prevented it from ever happening again.:(

·
Registered
524 Posts
sorry to hear about her dog.if she had a neighbor like mine there would have been no second time, when we were clearing trees to put up our house the neighbors dog came over and was growling and acting very aggresive toward my 12 year old daughter and 7 year old nephew i chased him off and then went and seen the neighbor, i was very nice introduced myself (we kinda already knew each other since i grew up in the area) explained what happened he said he was sorry and it wouldnt happen again, a few minutes later we hear a gunshot no big deal its out in the boonies, found out later that it definatly could not happen again with that dog, that is exactly how i would handle it problem solved,

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
I hate german sheperds...I'll trust a pit or rott 1st...and that aint saying much.

I was attacked by the neighbors GS when I was 8...sitting on my back proch with our dauchund when the damn thing came around the corner of the house and straight for us..

Fortunantly, my old man was a cop, so the 9mm was always close by....and he was a good shot.

Sorry to hear about the yorkie....What a bunch of BS...

I would, at the very least, file an incident report with the local PD though....next time it might be somebodys kid.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The neighbor has offered full restitution, and had the GS put down yesterday. It's a shame two dogs had to die over one negligent owner.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I wouldn't blame an owner in most cases. Some dogs are escape artist and get out no matter what. All dogs bite too, and some people that provoke them get what they deserve. Not saying in your case. Glad to hear it didn't end up in court wasting tax money.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't blame an owner in most cases. Some dogs are escape artist and get out no matter what. All dogs bite too, and some people that provoke them get what they deserve. Not saying in your case. Glad to hear it didn't end up in court wasting tax money.
I blame the owner because the dog was not fenced and he knew the electric fence in his yard was broken, and he had been notified that his dog was being aggressive 3 times.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"Sounds like grounds for a law suit."

there is no need for a law suit... people get together find out how much the dog costs and replace it.
in my eyes law suits are needed only 20% of the time

none the less I am glad the owner had offered to pay for the dog and had is put down.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Sorry to hear about the yorkie. In my eyes, the other owner is now acting responsible only because the serious situation that his animal caused. We at my house seriously despise negligent dog owners, like the GS owner is. Again, sorry for the loss of the dog.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
"Sounds like grounds for a law suit."

there is no need for a law suit... people get together find out how much the dog costs and replace it.
in my eyes law suits are needed only 20% of the time

none the less I am glad the owner had offered to pay for the dog and had is put down.
in some cases people treat their dogs like kids u just cant go to the corner and replace a kid

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
in some cases people treat their dogs like kids u just cant go to the corner and replace a kid
So true, we have three little girls here, 2 beagles and a basset, and all 3 have different traits and personalities. Sure you can get another dog, but you just can't replace that something special each one possess's.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
So true, we have three little girls here, 2 beagles and a basset, and all 3 have different traits and personalities. Sure you can get another dog, but you just can't replace that something special each one possess's.
No, but the day you can go to court and sue because you lost a family member will be a sad day for all animals.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
No, but the day you can go to court and sue because you lost a family member will be a sad day for all animals.
Sorry, not following your meaning here, I've only remarked as to what a pity it is to lose a dog that somebody cares about. I don't believe in lawsuits myself.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog, I've got Yorkies myself, great little dogs. As far as a lawsuit, dogs are considered property in Michigan so you would only be able to sue for the value of the dog, no punitive damages or anything else.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Sorry, but in all cases it's the owners responsibility. I you can't totally control your pet you shouldn't have one.

Sorry to hear of her loss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts