Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
It appears to be on posts, sitting on the bottom, not floating/anchored. If that's the case, then TECHNICALLY it's first-come, first-served. But we've had that whole "discussion" here MANY times. :)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I'm not sure if the 1st come rule applies to duck blinds actually on the land or if that just applies to blinds IN the water on the Great Lakes...i'm sure someone. With more knowledge on the subject will chime in.
Unless this is somehow placed well above (elevation wise) the normal high-water mark (and personally I don't see how that is possible based on the map provided), then this is on public "bottomlands", and is subject to the first-come, first-served rule. That's what the lawsuit a few years ago determined.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Absolutely but if they are there first then missed out. I bet if you get there before them bet they sit right outside your blind
which is one of the issues we've discussed in the past.

Bottom line....anyone can post a blind "for rent". In this particular case though, if they do rent it out, they'd better damn well sleep over in it or else their "renters" may find someone else in the blind when they arrive. This is just a soap opera waiting to be video taped LOL

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Excllent, craigslist provided me with a map....wanna give it a try JD.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
coming to a YouTube near you
I can see it now. Screaming across the marsh on October 10th at O'dark thirty when they find another group in the blind they "rented", someone yelling "first-come, first-served", the RAP line being called....yeah, this will be good. Anyone hunting within a mile will hear it all :)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Can a blind on public water be locked?
Well...it depends (did you read the other thread from a couple of weeks back?). The Wildlife Conservation Order (WCO) for great lakes waters (which is what this thread is about) appears to be pretty clear (pertinent provision below). For non-great lakes areas, it's muddy (as we found out in the previous thread):

3.401 Waterfowl hunting blinds; erection and removal, name and address; assessment of costs; hunting rights.

(3) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to deprive a riparian owner or their lessee or permittee on inland waters of their exclusive right to hunt over the riparian's subaqueous lands, nor shall the posting of the name and address of the person erecting a blind or other structure attached to the bottomlands of the Great Lakes and Lake St. Clair, used or to be used in the hunting of waterfowl, be deemed to constitute the exclusive privilege of hunting therefrom, or to reserve or preempt a shooting location for such person, nor shall such blind be locked to bar use when unoccupied. An unoccupied blind attached to the bottomlands of the Great Lakes or Lake St. Clair may be used for hunting by the first person to occupy the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts