Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I believe is a thornapple tree beside one of my food plots. It has a lot of apples about the size of my thumbnail. They are all over the ground the past couple of weeks and the deer don't seem to touch them. This seems very strange to me. What experience have the rest of you had with these trees. The tree has long 2 inch thorns on all it's branches. RubyCreekTed

·
Registered
570 Posts
They eat some here and there, they'll come back to 'em after a couple hard frosts and the other browse declines.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It is on the edge of a plot with BFO and turnips which they are hitting good. I guess they will get to the apples eventually maybe. I just thought this would be a good attractor as soon as the fruit started to drop.

Ruby Creek Ted

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
ted,
I've got the exact same thing going on at my place, and it's a bumper crop this year. There's just to much other prefered food sources for the deer to focus on the crabs.
The doe I shot during the EAS was FULL of apples (not crabs), corn, beans, and alphalfa. Kinda hard for a crabapple to compete with that menu.

Big T

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have what I believe is a thornapple tree beside one of my food plots. It has a lot of apples about the size of my thumbnail. They are all over the ground the past couple of weeks and the deer don't seem to touch them. This seems very strange to me. What experience have the rest of you had with these trees. The tree has long 2 inch thorns on all it's branches. RubyCreekTed
Thornapple is also known as hawthorn. It is not a true apple (from the same genus; prunus) so you cannot graft an apple tree scion on to it (more's the pity!). It is also poisonous. So I wouldn't taste too many!

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
It's not a apple or a crabapple. Another invasive species that's everywhere. I took a yearling years ago that was full of them during bow season.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Prof,

Same order- rosales
Same family- rosaceae,
Different genus- malus for apples, crataegus for hawthorns.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. I will watch and see if the drops from these 2 trees get picked up this year.

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
Those fruits....haws, I think they are called......WILL get eaten in time. Deer certainly, but also turkeys, pheasants, partridge, possum, coon, fox, coyote, etc. A whole host of critters use 'em.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The ones on my property got torn up last year in about 2 days in the middle to late part of december.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yea, I've got dozens of these trees on my property. The deer will hammer them in a couple months. I love the trees for the 'apples' but damn the needles are brutal. They either have some sort of toxin or I'm allergic to some degree, cuz when I get stuck the site will hurt and swell. They aren't real healthy on tires either~

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
damn the needles are brutal. They either have some sort of toxin or I'm allergic to some degree, cuz when I get stuck the site will hurt and swell.
I have had the same issue, to the point that my entire arm has swelled up. They will get you right through the best pair of leather gloves. You have to watch those thorns as they are a bad deal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts