Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did wrangle a 10lb sheep earlier in the summer on my 6'6" L when fishing white bass. That was a lot of fun. Thought I had a carp until I got it in netting distance lol

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate you, as I am green with envy of all your beautiful rods/reels. JK Nice setup!
Lol thanks. Most of it I buy used or deeply discounted. Some of these cost a pretty penny if buying new, let somebody else take the hit. I found a place in Japan that sells used rods and reels, ended up getting this rod for half of what it cost new. The plastic wrap was still on the grips when I got it, looked like new. It ran me $190. A year ago when the yen was stronger, it was $450 if bought new. This rod is also sold in Europe and the shops over there have it listed for €500.

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a certain joy to catching fish on ultra light tackle that a lot of people never seem to experience. Nice looking setup Tin.
This is a ML stick, not UL. This rod was actually designed for fishing steelhead and cherry salmon in smaller rivers where there isn't enough room to swing a broomstick like the guys here use. In Japan, floating bait really isn't a thing like it is here, most fish smaller plugs, or minnows as they call them. It will be right at home on the Clinton and would also be good in the upper Jordan, Rifle, etc. The idea is to cast accurately without smacking trees, but having enough ass to fight fish.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Well its no Fenwick HMG but I suppose it will do (j/k)

I tried to look it up through your link but was mostly written in Japanese. I'm guessing you got the shorter model?
Have fun, hope you tie into some steel with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well its no Fenwick HMG but I suppose it will do (j/k)

I tried to look it up through your link but was mostly written in Japanese. I'm guessing you got the shorter model?
Have fun, hope you tie into some steel with it.
Yep got the 6'5", a good size for throwing hardware on smaller streams and rivers. It's a 3-8 rod, but in Japan they primarily use braid and it's rated for #0.6 to #1.0, or 12lb to 20lb braid in that regard.

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suck at baitcasters and am to lazy to learn better.
Here's what I tell people in your shoes. Start with your brake turned all the way up. You aren't going to get distance but don't let that concern you just yet. As you get familiar, slowly back it off. Eventually you'll find your rhythm, then you can swing for the fences. I think where most people get frustrated is that they try to get those bomb casts which really don't work until you've trained your thumb to some degree. Brakes are your friend no matter your skill level. I forced myself to learn about 20 years ago, took only a baitcaster on the water and I got the hang of it in about a week.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here's what I tell people in your shoes. Start with your brake turned all the way up. You aren't going to get distance but don't let that concern you just yet. As you get familiar, slowly back it off. Eventually you'll find your rhythm, then you can swing for the fences. I think where most people get frustrated is that they try to get those bomb casts which really don't work until you've trained your thumb to some degree. Brakes are your friend no matter your skill level. I forced myself to learn about 20 years ago, took only a baitcaster on the water and I got the hang of it in about a week.

Had I had that info a decade ago, I probably would give them a go again. I have swapped to only spinning gear and can cast accurately and without any tangles or issues. Now actually catching fish is a different story….

- VHR

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
Lol thanks. Most of it I buy used or deeply discounted. Some of these cost a pretty penny if buying new, let somebody else take the hit. I found a place in Japan that sells used rods and reels, ended up getting this rod for half of what it cost new. The plastic wrap was still on the grips when I got it, looked like new. It ran me $190. A year ago when the yen was stronger, it was $450 if bought new. This rod is also sold in Europe and the shops over there have it listed for €500.
Nice, I did the 45000 yen conversion and came up with $311. Must be super high quality.

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nice, I did the 45000 yen conversion and came up with $311. Must be super high quality.
It's a sweet rod for sure, I'm actually about to take it out on the Clinton with my 2500C and get the reel dialed in for river fishing plugs. One thing I love about Japanese trout rods are the wooden reel seats, and this one even has a wooden trigger so it doesn't freeze your fingers in the cold, very well thought out rod. The American brands really can learn a lot from the Japanese in this regard, they can't seem to get past the cheaper graphite reel seats no matter if it's a Loomis, Edge, TFO, or St. Croix. The blank itself is a progressive taper instead of the more common parabolic taper of steelhead rods found here, so more like a bass rod. This is a common action for a plugging rod whereas a spoon/spinner rod will be on the parabolic end.

Office supplies Font Cigar Gas Publication

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's a sweet rod for sure, I'm actually about to take it out on the Clinton with my 2500C and get the reel dialed in for river fishing plugs. One thing I love about Japanese trout rods are the wooden reel seats, and this one even has a wooden trigger so it doesn't freeze your fingers in the cold, very well thought out rod. The American brands really can learn a lot from the Japanese in this regard, they can't seem to get past the cheaper graphite reel seats no matter if it's a Loomis, Edge, TFO, or St. Croix. The blank itself is a progressive taper instead of the more common parabolic taper of steelhead rods found here, so more like a bass rod. This is a common action for a plugging rod whereas a spoon/spinner rod will be on the parabolic end.

View attachment 857745
I love the look of the wooden reel seat. Japanese rods seem to be as much a work of art as a functional tool. My walleye jigging rod is a fast action and my trout rod is a moderate action and I can tell the difference. The moderate action has the right amount of give and just feels right.

- VHR

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The tip on this is super limber and a can fire off casts without much of a back cast. I'm throwing 4g Silver Creek minnows, not really fishing as much as getting familiar. The reel is spot on, haven't had to make any adjustments, about as easy as it gets. It's nice out and I'm finding a lot of good looking holes with the water being so low. Other than me tripping over suckers, it's nice to be on the water whether I'm catching anything or not.

Water Plant Tree Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

1 - 20 of 27 Posts