Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you find them? My go to early season pike lure...
ordered them straight from the MFG. do you troll or cast with them? Favorite colors? We’re going late May so these will be used for sure. This was the original model trolling 8-10’

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Those Wigglers are equivalent to big Flatfish lures. Most people slow troll them with a long line. They also wrap/tie a smelt/sardine on the body of the Wiggler for scent. They have youtube videos showing how the lures are wrapped. Another good lure for trolling would be the MagLips by Yakima Baits. The main advantage of the MagLips is you can troll them at very high speeds with out the lure spinning or surfacing. They also make jointed Wigglers which are normally slow trolled.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Hopefully you plan to use your SpoonPlugs on your trip? Main advantage is the speeds you can troll them(slow to high speed) plus you can control the depth of the SpoonPlugs by their size and amount of line let out.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully you plan to use your SpoonPlugs on your trip? Main advantage is the speeds you can troll them(slow to high speed) plus you can control the depth of the SpoonPlugs by their size and amount of line let out.
Yeah I bring a lot of tackle on trips. It pretty much all comes with me. First thing I’ll be trying is 1 - spoonplug, 1- wiggler, and 1 - crawler harnesses (3 rods out total) We have fished the lake before and know some good spots. We usually go late June and this year it’s late May so not sure if the walleyes will be a bit shallower or in the same spot. We have a week to find out.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Is there a problem with Black Flies during that time(late May)? I know a lot has to do with weather but I've always had problems during late May with Black Flies!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Yeah I bring a lot of tackle on trips. It pretty much all comes with me. First thing I’ll be trying is 1 - spoonplug, 1- wiggler, and 1 - crawler harnesses (3 rods out total) We have fished the lake before and know some good spots. We usually go late June and this year it’s late May so not sure if the walleyes will be a bit shallower or in the same spot. We have a week to find out.
That’s a speed mismatched combination. The harness and wiggler are both best at slower speeds, and the spoonplug is better at high speeds. When you have the slow stuff on, work in any balsa lures as they are more of a low speed lure as well. Match other high speed lures with the spoonplug.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s a speed mismatched combination. The harness and wiggler are both best at slower speeds, and the spoonplug is better at high speeds. When you have the slow stuff on, work in any balsa lures as they are more of a low speed lure as well. Match other high speed lures with the spoonplug.
i didn’t think about speeds... solid point.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what are other higher speed trolling options? The water will still be cold I imagine so I’m guessing slow would be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You can use big spinner baits 1/2-1oz trolled along with casting them. There's also Believer Lures both straight and jointed. The bigger sizes you would use for Muskies(think of trolling them in Lake St Claire by Muskie Guides) they can also be trolled at high speeds for pike walleye and even bass! Come in all colors. If you go onto a muskie website you'll see a list of all kinds of lures used for trolling. All these lures will work on Pike and large bass. I remember trolling a jointed Believer in late Oct for pike in a small lake in Washtenaw Cnty and caught a 23" largemouth.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Only issue I have with these lures is the weight, so fish carefully... Metal lure casts a mile...

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m on a couple forums and after I’ve seen such glowing reviews on these I have ordered some more in a small 4-6’ depth. Getting pretty pumped for the trip.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts