Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been after the same group of Tom's all season long. The first couple of days they were talking but then went totally silent. I tried every combination of decoys and calling with absolutely no luck. Those Tom's would look my way but would never leave their hens. They definitely had a pattern going so I decided to put together an ambush. I decided no decoys and no calling. They always entered a stubble field from the same spot every morning after fly down. I really only had an idea of where they were roosting but decided to try to get between their roost area and the stubble field. This morning I headed out a lot earlier and put the plan in action. As soon as it started to get light those Tom's lit up in the trees. Finally some gobbling! I knew there was 4 good Tom's and a couple Jakes in there and they all were going nuts. Suddenly I saw a bird fly down and start heading for the field. Turned out to be the biggest hen I've ever seen. She got to the field and kept right on going, yelping all the way. I turned to face the direction she flew down from just in time to see a Tom hit the ground and start strutting. As he came around a big old cotton wood and stretched his neck out to gobble I put the bead on his head a squeezed off a round. It was a long shot but it dropped him in his tracks. Turned out to be a little over 24 lbs, 10 1/8" inch beard and 1" spurs. I know one of the other ones is bigger but this old guy wasn't waiting any longer
20210511_073811.jpg

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Is there a pic? If so, I am not seeing it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Nothing better than a plan that works.Nice Bird!!...

Reactions: old graybeard

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Ambush style, that’s how I got my bird last year.....I’m starting to think this isn’t going to be my year. I have to drive to all my turkey hunting ground and I have logged a ton of miles, I’m starting to get road weary and I haven’t had a bird close in a while. Congratulations on a great bird OGB !
Flight

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Great bird. Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Congrats! Well deserved, sir!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I see a pic but just incase
I can both pics today, lol. Very nice! Yesterday all I saw in the first post was line of computer jargon like a link, that wouldn't open. This new format is still a little glitchy. Probably should have just refreshed everything to see if it showed up.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Congrats sir, great bird.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts