Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would you guys think of allowing a crossbow during turkey season? we already use bows, shotguns, and muzzle loader. so i was thinking that we should allow the use of crossbows just as we do during the rifle season.:help: :idea:

·
Registered
287 Posts
makes sense to me to allow them. a crossbow is no more at an advantage than firearms

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
if ya wanna use a crossbow you still have to be able to call, and get them in close. maybe not as close as with a shotgun, ML, or bow. to each his own. i'd support the use of CB's for tukey hunting, or any game animal within reason.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I own a turkey 12 guage, compound, and crossbow. I am convinced that I can be more accurate with my compound than the crossbow. Therefore I would rather hunt with it. I am for the crossbows being used. No advantage to the hunter on this one! Besides you can use a crossbow during deer firearm season, why not Turkey Season?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
FISH said:
if ya wanna use a crossbow you still have to be able to call, and get them in close. maybe not as close as with a shotgun, ML, or bow. to each his own. i'd support the use of CB's for tukey hunting, or any game animal within reason.
I have no problem with them being used for turkey hunting

You would have to get them in alot closer than a shot gun and at least into good bow range if shooting a cross bow.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I don't know much about crossbows, but I think they're very powerful and much more accurate than a lot of compounds, so they'd be fine with me. Fewer crippled birds than we already have out there every year. Every year I get two or three phone calls from people with birds in their back yards with arrows through them. Never hit any vitals. I'll bet the CO's can't even begin to get to all the birds they get calls about.

Where there would probably be problems would be with people who would think they now have rifle caliber range by using crossbows

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Bring them on for hunting anything we use bows for now. I'm going to be hunting this spring with an xbow for turkeys. My shooting is dead on:D . I will make his day:D Come on 234 hunt............m:D

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Linda G. said:
I don't know much about crossbows, but I think they're very powerful and much more accurate than a lot of compounds
?????
that comment is un-deserving to the archer
I ain't gonna turn this into a pissin match over the types of bows but
you need to look at the shooter not the bow wether it be compound recurve or cross....

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
sullyxlh said:
?????
that comment is un-deserving to the archer
I ain't gonna turn this into a pissin match over the types of bows but
you need to look at the shooter not the bow wether it be compound recurve or cross....
"un-deserving" to the archer"??? Where did an ARCHER come into the discussion?

BTW, I would have no problem allowing people to use them for turkeys as longs as guns are legal for them. I do have a problem with crossbows in an ARCHERY season.

Dan

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I don't know much about them. They're described as "archery equipment" so that's who I have to assume would use them-archers.

And that's what I've heard about crossbows-that they're quite powerful, and very accurate. If that's an issue, sorry. Is that not the case? Please explain. I don't know anything about them except that all the older folks want them to archery hunt with, and they've very popular in other states.

Like I said, I don't know anything about them, I don't do any bowhunting at all. Gave up my compound about 20 years ago in favor of bird dogs. Which means I don't archery hunt at all anymore, not that I'm worried about my dogs and bow hunting. I bird hunt now in the fall. And squirrel and waterfowl hunt. And hunt fall turkeys. With a shotgun.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
linda
cross bows get a bad rap. yes in many ways they are like a morden compund, but as you stated earlier was wrong about range. like a bow you are very limited on your shot after about 40 yards the bolt just drops. but in my opinion if a hunter is going to spen a grand for a cross bow he is also going to shoot it and know his limits. to many fellow hunter fear this method of hunting due to not knowing the facts. most believe a crossbow to shot like a rifle, when the facts are looked at they are weaker than most mordern bows and don't have the range as a modern compound bow.
i for one would not mind the use of a crossbow for hunting. i believe it would help out our state to do whatever we need to to get more hunters in the field

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't matter to me , they shoud be able to hunt with whatever they want

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Fine with me, any season when you can use a gun should be open to all forms of archery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts