Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to laugh at this one. I live in a small community where like most places there are deer in the city limits. Fortunately I am able to see deer out my windows frequently. Anyway, I feed these deer with corn for the entertainment. Tonite when I got home from work(bone shift) there where numerous deer eating my corn pile. These deer let me walk from my truck to my front door(my front door is 30 yds. from the corn) without even spooking. I decide to go out on my balcony to watch them feed. I watch them for no longer than 30 seconds on my balcony, they look up and start snorting at me. Keep in mind I snuck out on my balcony undetected. I had to start laughing. I guess im going to have to wear scent lok to watch deer from an elevated balcony. It amazes me how well conditioned deer are to evelvated threats.

GOOD HUNTING:)

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
What's even more funny is that you posted this at 3:08 A.M. ......work the bone shift?? or did the thought of those deer .....being there.....give you some IDEAS........just kidding..............who knows why deer spook one time and not another...but they do keep an eye on each other...and their surroundings..I've noticed that sometimes if you make noises ( like around your house ) they stand and just look at you...other times it's bye bye.......MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
No doubt those deer have watched you get out of your truck and walk into the house many, many times that you weren't even aware of. The expect certain things to happen, but when you went onto the balcony, they weren't expecting that so spooked.

I have several deer on our place and every time I see them I actually talk to them. They seem to like it. I have noticed when I'm on the atv and see them, if I don't talk, they will take off like crazy but if I start talking to them they will either slow to a walk or most of the time they'll even stop. Another thing I do during the year is if I come upon one without seeing it first, I'll stop the atv and sometimes even shut it off, sit there and talk. Sometimes I'll just back up for quite a ways before turning around and just leaving them alone. Those deer get pretty accustomed to me.

I took my neighbor and his young girl in back a couple times this past summer and they couldn't believe how the deer would just stand there and look. The little girl really got a kick out of it.

Earlier this week I took the atv in back and pushed snow so we could get back to cut wood. There were several deer on both ends of our property. Both times, I stopped and started talking and both times the deer stopped. Now that is amazing considering that on some of the property around ours it is being hunted heavy yet. Now, is it because they trust me, that is, they are accustomed to seeing me or is it that they think that crazy guy can't hit us anyway if he shoots?!!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The deer around our house run when they see me but just stand there when my wife walks outside and she talks to them too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts