Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully one of you outboard mechanics can comment on this. I started my motor this weekend and noticed water coming out of the motor in an unusual spot. I did not notice this during winterization last year or maybe I didn't notice it.

Doesn't look right to me, what do you guys think? Water coming out above lower unit. Couldn't get video to post so it is a photo.

· Registered
10,368 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo. Likely the water supply tube from the pump up to the motor is disconnected, loose, broken, worn out or all of the above.

How old is the motor? Have you replaced the water pump? Has any work been done on the motor in the past couple of seasons?

Rule out the obvious, which is to check for any cracks in the lower unit or intermediate housings. Unlikely to be the source of the problem, but good to be sure.

· Registered
324 Posts
I’m guessing it’s shooting out at the lower unit seam? Possible causes:
  • water tube / grommet failure
  • Water pump housing broken/worn out
  • plugged water passage in the motor.

You’d need to remove the lower unit to inspect. I’d put my money on the water tube or grommet.

· Registered
871 Posts
If it was his water pump, wouldn't he not be getting any water out of the piss hole?

OP, I noticed the same thing last time I had muffs on our motor. I had just changed the lower unit oil though and it had no water in it. Motor was pissing water normally too. Went down to Erie the next day and ran the motor for 6 hours. Ours is a 2006 Mercury 115 4 stroke. Maybe there's something wrong with ours too, you got me wondering now.

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the water is leaving the motor at the seam above lower unit. There is good flow from the telltale (piss hole). This is a 2014 Evinrude E-tec 250 with pretty low hours, under 250.

Thanks for the input.

· Premium Member
12,453 Posts
Mud Dabber wasp plugged you pee hole. Take a wire and check to see if it is clear. I use to pick up little zebra mussels in mine so I drill it out to the next size and that solves a lot of things. I check mine every time for a mud wasp plug

· Registered
2,038 Posts
The force of the water pressure from your hose will actually make your pisser piss. The only true way to check water pump is by filling a container with water and lowering your unit into it and allowing the motor to pull water into the pump. As for the water exiting above the bottom unit, my guess is water was under the shift shaft seal and froze which lifted it upwards. Take it off and inspect

· Premium Member
12,453 Posts
The force of the water pressure from your hose will actually make your pisser piss. The only true way to check water pump is by filling a container with water and lowering your unit into it and allowing the motor to pull water into the pump. As for the water exiting above the bottom unit, my guess is water was under the shift shaft seal and froze which lifted it upwards. Take it off and inspect
It won't piss if that hole is plugged by something. I had to take mine apart while in Canada and fix it. That pump has pressure but the mud wasp nest may go in a inch or so. Mine done the same thing his i doing.

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did run the boat around the lake and the pisser pissed fine. Just can't tell if water is coming out the seam when it is in the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.