Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Was thinking about making a river trip in a week or two to northern Michigan. How long will the steelies and other fun fish to catch be around in rivers of the North?

·
Registered
344 Posts
You will find steelies in the rivers they run in from now until sometime in may depending on how hot it is. This time of year the bite is lite and harder to come by. Things will start to heat up sometime in mid to late Febuary.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If your in the right spot the bite can be as good or better right now as it is any other time of year!! Winter steelhead fishing is the best

·
Registered
344 Posts
bigdog is right. It can be great in the winter. The right hole on the right day can be a blast. Just have to work a bit harder to find them than when they are stacked up like cord wood during the spawn. ;)

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
There are Steelhead in the Big Manistee River every single day. More at some times than others. Most rivers do not have a year-round fishery for Steelhead, but a few do. December is a good month on every river that gets Steelhead runs @ MI. Mostly because so many people have other things that conflict with fishing - holiday celebrations, and whatnot. Add to that lousy weather to be out (but good for fishing), and you can have some really good days without much, if any competition.

First light isn't usually as important at this time of year, as it is when the days are longer, and the skies are sunnier. Later in the day often has a better bite. Last light can be the very good, and it happens at 5:00PM, right now. :yikes:

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Small spawn bags
Waxxies on a steelhead jig
Wrigglers on a jig
Fish deep, slow holes
Close to overhead timber
Stay on or near the bottom........bouncing it's called

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Yep, definately there will be fish around. Try the deeper waters and fish the deepest parts. IF the sun comes out enough to warm the water even a little bit, than work your way up the hole in to a little shallower water. Just MHO.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Yep, definately there will be fish around. Try the deeper waters and fish the deepest parts. IF the sun comes out enough to warm the water even a little bit, than work your way up the hole in to a little shallower water. Just MHO.

Don't let that Toto guy fool ya with his "IMO" comment. The guy knows his stuff. We've fished together a number of times and on the river........fishing for steelheads......he almost always out fished ol' Whit. Do you notice that "wood" in the background that overhangs the river?

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Ah ya just don't know how to fish it, theres certainly still some fish that get in there, that holes deep enough I'm sure they'd still hole up in there. Maybe you should try floaters!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Is that "Sir Toto" wearing a John Deere colored hat and holding a Steelhead caught from the "Honey Hole" behind him? ;)

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Ah ya just don't know how to fish it, theres certainly still some fish that get in there, that holes deep enough I'm sure they'd still hole up in there. Maybe you should try floaters!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
The problem is caused by that tree having taken a serious downstream swing over the past three years. It now covers the deepest part of that hole/run making it almost impossible to fish effectively. But then...........we haven't given it a whirl lately.

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Thats actually one of original MS hats. Its now at the bottom of the same hole somewhere, long story there, but funny non the less, at least now it is.

One of the last times I was up there I tried fishing that hole, and yes it did change, but there is still some decent water below that tree. Actually the whole stretch there holds fish at times, but a lot of it is bobber water, real snaggy. I still love that stretch of the river, and some other spots on that river as well. Ah who am I kidding, I just love fishing up there more than anywhere else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fished the little Man earlier this season, but I'm going to be staying near lake Bellaire, which is almost a 2 hour drive, even to the Northern parts of Bear Creek. I know naming specific rivers is against the forum's rules, but could anyone PM me a river closer to Bellaire that might be good to check out this time of year? Looks like from the DNR website that only a handful are in season in the area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts