Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt public land, archery, three to five days a week, mostly evenings, through October. I need to hike 1/2 to 1 mile in to the area.
Last year I used a hanger, but would like the freedom to move from hunt to hunt. I like the summit line. Is the broadhead backpacker model a good choice?
I may go with the 180 model, because the top wraps around the climber as you move up the tree. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Summit is the only line of climbers i use...if your a little bigger like myself. 6,1" 235. then the goliath is the way to go....really roomy and just as silent as the rest of em...any one of the summit stands is good.. It depends if you like it open in front or closed in also...good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
Yes I'm 6,2" and 225 lbs. With back issues I need support in the seat also!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I bought my first climber last year.. A summit viper.. I have no complaints a about it really..Nice roomy stand...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I like the Summit backpacker it folds down flat, soo it makes it easier to backpack in.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have the viper. I bought it last year as well and really like it. If money were of no issue, I'd probalby look at Lone Wolf as well, they are really nice stands.

I have a lot of fixed stands up, but it was nice to be able to try new spots last year with the climber as well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
you gotta try the api's out..alot more stable..my dad has one of the summits but wants to get rid of it now and go with the api..i own 2 api's..grand slam supreme and grand slam star extreme...my dads summit we had to file the "So-Called" spikes down to it would grip into a hard oak tree..before it would slip a little..well 20-25ft up i dont want my stand to slip..api's spikes are sharp and solid and will grip into any tree and not move..just check em out you wont be disapointed

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Anyone remember the old "Baker" climbing stands? I still have one and NO it never goes to the woods anymore!:lol: That thing is a death trap. I've rode it down to the ground, or had it fall out from under me more times than my wife will ever know.;) Now I use an 'Ol man climber. It's a little on the heavy side, but very stable and comfy. I think they may be out of business though?:confused: I do think climbers have a lot to offer though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nimrod1 said:
Anyone remember the old "Baker" climbing stands? I still have one and NO it never goes to the woods anymore!:lol: That thing is a death trap. I've rode it down to the ground, or had it fall out from under me more times than my wife will ever know.;) Now I use an 'Ol man climber. It's a little on the heavy side, but very stable and comfy. I think they may be out of business though?:confused: I do think climbers have a lot to offer though.
i slid down the tree in my ol'man that i used to have..i'll stick with API..more solid and better locking system and more comfy

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
steelhead05 said:
you gotta try the api's out..alot more stable..my dad has one of the summits but wants to get rid of it now and go with the api..i own 2 api's..grand slam supreme and grand slam star extreme...my dads summit we had to file the "So-Called" spikes down to it would grip into a hard oak tree..before it would slip a little..well 20-25ft up i dont want my stand to slip..api's spikes are sharp and solid and will grip into any tree and not move..just check em out you wont be disapointed
Thanks for pointing out that they made climbers. I love the Baby Grand hang on. Talk about quality, but I just didn't know that they made climbers. I probably would have gone that route had I known that when I bought the Summit. API definately makes a good product.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also have a summit Viper. I go on an out of state hunt every year using my climber as well as hunt around here using it all the time. I like it alot.
With that being said, I would without a doubt buy the Lone Wolf sit and climb if I was going to get a new one. It is lighter, better to pack and carry, and is in my opinion easier and much quieter to use. Two of my friends have them that I hunt with all the time and in my opinion they are a big upgrade from what I have. They are also quite a bit more expensive.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I'll take the Summit or the Lone Wolf.....they sell more than all the rest combined. The API's are comfortable, but their so so quality about put them out of business a couple years back, so I'll pass for the time being. When properly set up, very few of them today will slip. 99% of the time it's operator error.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Climbers are definetly the way to go for public land IMO. You never have to worry about it getting stolen and can easily move if someone else is close to or in your spot. I have an API Shootin' Star(it was Cabelas signature series at the time when cabelas was still selling API) and have no complaints, never had it slip, is the most comfortable stand i've ever sat in, and I can set it up in the dark without making a sound. After 7 seasons of hard abuse the plastic coating around the chains is starting to wear off (but i'm pretty sure you can buy replacements at bass pro relatively cheap.) My three hunting partners all have summits and they all love them, I've used them and they are good stands. I feel my API is quieter setting up and climbing but I might be partial. Look into lone wolf stands as well, they make one around 14lbs which would be nice since you're hiking in so far. Mine is 21 pounds and I hate packing it more than a few hundred yards, and nearly impossible for me to go farther without breaking a sweat. Its a trade off between weight and comfort. Whatever you choose, be sure to practice using it before the season, even practice in the dark. The last thing you want to do is get to your opening day hot spot and clunk around before day break.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the Broadhead backpacker and could not be happier. More comfortable than a Lone Wolf, but like Steelhead said file down the teeth on the back of the platform and your in business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I purchased a Loggy Bayou last year. Its light and backpacks easily and I only spent about $140. If I had the money I would have liked to purchase an Equalizer. The Equalizar looks easier to setup and adjust. Cool video.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts