Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not fishing again till wed, and I'm laying in bed contemplating what would happen if they lowered the limit to 13" and 6 fish for one season. Do you think it hurt or help the fisherie?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
684 Posts
it's nice to read your laying in bed thinking of our fishery:lol:. I personally think it would help for a couple of years, but I'm sure this is gonna be a highly debatable topic. Isn't that what they have in Lk. St. Clair? Their fishery is still strong as well correct? Where are you headed wenesday? I thought about headed to the mouth tuesday and decided to see what everyone did this weekend.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
St Claire isn't even close to a walleye fishery compared to what's up north, and to prevent the tears of a few certain members I will be fishing the river I can only fish the morning I have class at 6pm
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Maybe they'll change it so you guys can use spears and gill nets too.

Does anyone really see any sense in destroying the next couple of years class fish.

The river is obviously slow. Now the Bay is really starting to heat up.

Get out on the big water. Not one undersized fish caught in over a month. All very plump healthy fish.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who you talkin you guys ? I was looking for opinions from someone who might have a little actual biology knowledge, or someone that could reference another body of water that the dnr did this. Hey soup why do you talk trash to everyone? Spearing and gill nets lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Who you talkin you guys ? I was looking for opinions from someone who might have a little actual biology knowledge, or someone that could reference another body of water that the dnr did this. Hey soup why do you talk trash to everyone? Spearing and gill nets lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is'nt trash talk it's common sense. It's like saying change deer season to just fawn's. There is'nt anything wrong with the fishery. If you have'nt noticed yet the river actually works as a nursery for the young fish. I wish they would close the entire river system to ice fishing to protect those little ones. Wonder what the biologists would think about that?

Do some research on the trouble they are having down south with their wallleye numbers. 6 fish and the 13 inch rule did'nt pan out all that well.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see thats were you are mistaken . your second post was more productive than your first. could you not have simply said " There is'nt anything wrong with the fishery. the river actually works as a nursery for the young fish. I wish they would close the entire river system to ice fishing to protect those little ones." now thats a productive post because i never thought of the river like that and i agree with you . but you try to belittle with your "Maybe they'll change it so you guys can use spears and gill nets too" maybe someone should call the rap line on you and see how many fish are in your freezer . bet its not 10 fillets. talk about ruining the fishery.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
see thats were you are mistaken . your second post was more productive than your first. could you not have simply said " There is'nt anything wrong with the fishery. the river actually works as a nursery for the young fish. I wish they would close the entire river system to ice fishing to protect those little ones." now thats a productive post because i never thought of the river like that and i agree with you . but you try to belittle with your "Maybe they'll change it so you guys can use spears and gill nets too" maybe someone should call the rap line on you and see how many fish are in your freezer . bet its not 10 fillets. talk about ruining the fishery.
Mr. Deadshort is a moderator here now and a CO. He would be more than welcome to come to my house and take a look. I don't, have'nt and never will eat any of those fish. Geez now I'm a poacher?

Ask ANY of the guys I fish with and they will tell you the same about me. If I have people that want them they get em but for the most part they go back.

And from your reports they probably should'nt waste anytime checking your freezer.............:lol::lol::lol: Ok gotta go to work. Have a good one.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol. It's true my keeper ratio is certainly not the best. But I will say this if I lived up north and fished as much as you I certainly wouldn't be so negative. I would help people out . Lol have a good day soupy.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
That wouldnt make any sense at all!! Like Soup said why kill all those smaller fish!!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Scott

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i ice fished Lake Vermillion in Minnesota a couple years ago and was crazy wierd being able to keep 9" walleye, while the same size as a perch and the same amount of meat, just different, I dont really care for slot limits, I wouldnt care to keep anything under 15" for eyes unless there was some scientific research that says its OK or necessary to assist the fishery. Good question tho

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
What would you do with a 13" walleye? I dont usually keep the 15 inchers unless I really need a good fish sammich. Not enough meat on a 13" walleye to put in a hot dog bun.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I was wondering . I have never ate a 13" walleye. Although I imagine they're delicious.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I hope they dont do that. No meat on those fish at all, plus taking out year classes is not good. We already had some generation gaps before recent history...Dont need that again.

·
Premium Member
29,761 Posts
That's what I was wondering . I have never ate a 13" walleye. Although I imagine they're delicious.
Posted via Mobile Device
succulent like a spotted fawn..:lol:

I used to think the same thing when we had 50 or more undersize fish days on the river alot just 2 or 3 years ago, but it seems to be equaling itself out. I definately don't want the river closed, come on Jeff, you'd have to haul my butt out on bay then. Due to my work schedule, the river is very conveinent for me. Lake erie used to have a 6 fish limit, and never closed the season during the spawning run on the Maumee. They never had problems for years. Used to be they had the numbers and we had the size, than the bay and Erie switched places. Now Erie is on a downswing again. They also have netting allowed by the Canadians and we don't. Too many factors to change it right now. There's plenty of nice fish coming, just wait and see;). Sorry, I'm no bioligist either, but had to jump in here. And yes, Soup does give his fish away for what its worth.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is'nt trash talk it's common sense. It's like saying change deer season to just fawn's. There is'nt anything wrong with the fishery. If you have'nt noticed yet the river actually works as a nursery for the young fish. I wish they would close the entire river system to ice fishing to protect those little ones. Wonder what the biologists would think about that?

Do some research on the trouble they are having down south with their wallleye numbers. 6 fish and the 13 inch rule did'nt pan out all that well.
Close the entire river system seems like a good idea soup!

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol. I don't care I was just thinking out loud today. But regardless I'm fishing wed on the river and I'm guessing the report will go like this 2 keepers 30 short fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you think about it, lowering the keeping size would just make people go lower.... How many people step on a 14.5 inch fish to make it a 15:lol:... what would stop someone from making a 12.5 inch fish to a 13? no meat at all on those things

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good point. I'm sure there is plenty of people who keep way more than 5 fish and keep way smaller fish also.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 88 Posts