Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asie from having a pretty good opener with many killable bucks and tons of does you guys should hear this.

At first light I kept hearing a clank clak and I thought it was a trespasser loading their gun...a Remington 1100 to be exact but it turned out to be a nice little 8 point with an arrow in it neck. He might score 110 on a good day and I never shoot anything less than a 130...ever. I felt bad for him so I shot him and probably screwed up my big buck hunt for the day. An hour later I went down to tag him and pull him into some thick grass because the deer were freaked out by seeing a dead deer in their path. When I did that was overcome by the stench of rotting flesh, my shot was all heart but I discounted the stench because deer just stink sometimes I gutted him and his guts smelled better than him. The bottom line is I have a deer that is worthless because of stinky and sour meat. I called the CO and it's a no go I'm SOL.

Real nice eh. Maybe he can issue me a ticker for waste when I make it coyote bait.

Out west they say SSS ....Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I may be missing something here but I don't see what there is to think twice about here. This animal was obviously hurting and yes would've eventually died from the infection that he was suffering from. Maybe you "wasted" your tag but do you not think you owed it to this animal? :confused:
It just seems as though some people get caught up in this big buck greed and don't think anything about the animals. Don't get me wrong, you did the right thing here but I guess maybe I'm missing something but I just don't understand what there is to think twice about.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've got to agree with Moe. You did the right thing. Maybe you don't have a wall-hanger this year, and the meat maybe worthless, but as a sportsman you owed it to this suffering animal. Look back on this in 3 months, you'll agree with your actions.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read the post again.

I'll keep the "trophy greed" comment in mind the next time I place a $3000 food plot seed order and spend 4 months planting it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
milmo1 said:
I've got to agree with Moe. You did the right thing. Maybe you don't have a wall-hanger this year, and the meat maybe worthless, but as a sportsman you owed it to this suffering animal. Look back on this in 3 months, you'll agree with your actions.
I still have another tag, but it's a one scenerio now.

I would have shot the deer under any cirumstance at anytime whether the season was open or not its the legality that I have a problem with. It appears that complex thought may be difficult so let me summarize.

If you shoot it, you have to tag it, if you tag it you legally have to take it home and its illegal to trhrow the meat away. So when you do have a mercy kill find some bushs and leave it at that.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I'll keep my comments to my self, but I hope the mods put this post out of it's misery. No, wait untill the wind dies down, it will be great reading!!! :) Riverman

·
Super Moderator
37,657 Posts
I have never regretted doing the honorable thing. I am sorry that you regret doing the right thing after the fact. Would you feel differently if you had merely put out a bait pile instead of investing in growing one?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me rephrase I don't have any regrets and I will do it again if it happens today.

but remember LEGALLY

If you shoot it you have to tag it
if you tag it you have to take it out of the woods and attempt to use the meat
if you can't you have to dump the deer so it's best to notify a CO so you don't get cited for waste.

I'm not avocating doing anything illegal but when you do shoot wounded game and it stinks, start thinking about an alternitive to stinking your truck up.

·
Banned
559 Posts
Howitzer said:
I still have another tag, but it's a one scenerio now.

I would have shot the deer under any cirumstance at anytime whether the season was open or not its the legality that I have a problem with. It appears that complex thought may be difficult so let me summarize.

If you shoot it, you have to tag it, if you tag it you legally have to take it home and its illegal to trhrow the meat away. So when you do have a mercy kill find some bushs and leave it at that.
O.k., now you have my attention. What did you mean by this statement.
I would have shot the deer under any cirumstance at anytime whether the season was open or not

I believe the law say's that you can not shoot an animal if it has been hurt. Unless you have a proper tag in the proper season. I may not agree with this law, but the law is the law! Mercy killing with out a tag or in the proper season in the DNR eyes is not an legal! Let nature take it's path!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe the law say's that you can not shoot an animal if it has been hurt. Unless you have a proper tag in the proper season. I may not agree with this law, but the law is the law! Mercy killing with out a tag or in the proper season in the DNR eyes is not an legal! Let nature take it's path![/QUOTE]

Sorry IR John, maybe following the letter of the law makes you feel good, and to each his own, but I would anytime put a suffering animal out of its misery and sleep better knowing I did.

It would have to be an awful prick of a CO to fine you for finishing off a mortally wounded animal.

SSS

FishHog

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
well, we now know where your priorities are.

HOWITZER said:
Asie from having a pretty good opener with many killable bucks and tons of does you guys should hear this.
boy i wish i had your troubles. i didn't see a deer yesterday. being that you ...don't...ever.... shoot less than 130"'s, and there were plenty of shooters yesterday, i'd say you had a great day.

i'll be the guy to say it - no one wants to hear someone complain about legal issues, when its clear what the right thing to do is. the law has read that way for years, this comes as a surprise to you?

i find it deplorable that you'd advocate breaking the law, especially given the opportunities you've been blessed with. most guys on this site wouldn't think twice about doing what you did, and they don't see 130 class deer on a regular basis, nor have $3000 to sink into a food plot.(and wouldn't find a way to work that information into a thread like this, either.) its troubling to see that you had a moral dilemma.

good luck filling your second tag.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
sorry to hear you didnt at least get the meat , but killing the already dead on its feet buck was the right thing to do..lots of does out there for the freezer if that big brusier doesnt trot in on ya...

i had the same problem...i shot (with my bow) a big 9pt a couple of weeks ago..he had a mark on his back from a fight and he stunk bad...gan green...

loped off the head and the rest is for the yotes...(i tagged it )

Mikie

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
I shot a big stinky one a few years back. He was moving fine, I didn't know he was "green" until I started guttin' him. This was on opening day and after I skinned him, I realized all the green spots were from buckshot that littered his hind quarters. I just cut away all the green spots and ate the rest. Kinda like moldy crust on the bread,, just peel away the mold and awaaaaay we gooo.

·
Registered
167 Posts
EXITPUPIL said:
The tragedy here is that they were not able to release you a new liscense for doing the right thing. Thats a shame.
:yeahthat: I for one would be pretty upset, about not getting a new tag as I am from out of state and have to fork out $138.00 for a license. I would however feel great about being able to end that bucks misery! You did the right thing in this instance, and you will be rewarded in the future for it. To tell you the truth, even if it were a bambi I would feel better about finishing it off even though my season would be over. It kind of sounds to me like you have too much money for your own good spending $3000 on a food plot. If this is the case I would gladly take a few thousand off of your hands. Good luck on filling your second tag with a deer that makes is worth it for you to spend 3k on! Happy hunting to all. I am finally getting over my poison sumac tragedy and will be joining you all in the woods soon.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
There is sooooo much wrong information posted in this thread it is pathetic. Amazing what some believe to be legal and illegal. I'm not going to even attempt to correct the information in this case because I know it would be useless. I'm outa here!

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
boehr said:
There is sooooo much wrong information posted in this thread it is pathetic. Amazing what some believe to be legal and illegal. I'm not going to even attempt to correct the information in this case because I know it would be useless. I'm outa here!

LMAO,, I noticed that too, figured I'd let someone else throw in their 2 cents on that part.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
boehr said:
OK, tell me what is legal. I did cover this with a CO maybe there is some inconsistency with CO's, could that be the problem?

I would value your opinion and find it to be useful for the forum because most hunters encounter this situation at some point in their endeavours. My hunting privileges are highly valued to me and I don't take any risks in losing them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.