Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no more does for me the deer are just about killed off on the public lands n private so please dont shoot any does i will not shoot any does at all. hopefully i am not alone in this. god bless

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome Tom,

The area that me and my father hunt has been bad as well. Even when we get a doe permit, we don't shoot any. That is public land in Cheboygan County. Never see any bucks(does either), so it is more like an up north trip. To me, it is spending time with Dad and the deer hunting comes second. Can't change areas because my Dad has been going there since the sixties and he has too many emotional ties with those woods.

On a brighter note....

I got a buck in Lapeer county. Also two bucks in CA as well as a buck and elk in MT.

Maybe try another state if you can pull it off. If my Dad would change, I would like to go up to the UP.

JAS

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
tom wilde said:
no more does for me the deer are just about killed off on the public lands n private so please dont shoot any does i will not shoot any does at all. hopefully i am not alone in this. god bless
Every time you pull the trigger, buck/doe, young/old, it should be a thought out managment decision. There are some places that you absolutly should not shoot any doe, and there are some places that you should shoot every doe you can. You need to know your area.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks DAD :gaga: , but I'll take any animal during thier respective seasons.
Have you thought about catch and release?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
tom wilde said:
DUDE don't you think it matters what area your are hunting?
I would be careful with comments like that on this site. These guys will rip you apart and feed you to the moderators.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If everyone has the mind set to shoot does out of an area that has low numbers and are doing it legally,I don't have a problem with it.What I do have a problem with is,if they complain about the low numbers after having shot a couple of does.I passed on everything this year simply because I personally did'nt think our areas needed to have the doe population thinned at all.Just a personal choise made by me.

·
Registered
19,237 Posts
skulldugary said:
If everyone has the mind set to shoot does out of an area that has low numbers and are doing it legally,I don't have a problem with it.What I do have a problem with is,if they complain about the low numbers after having shot a couple of does.I passed on everything this year simply because I personally did'nt think our areas needed to have the doe population thinned at all.Just a personal choise made by me.
Well said and I follow the same reasoning.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
There is a personal responsibility aspect that should govern anything we do when hunting of fishing. For example, I can take my beagles in and clear out a patch of snowshoes in just a few outings and it will take several years for that patch to build back up to huntable numbers....it's legal, but is it the right thing to do? Same with grouse hunting. I know people up here that will shoot all they can from a single patch, until there are literally, no more. They are legal, but is it right? Fishing. On a local lake, weekend vacationers will keep full limits of walleye every weekend, until every fish you catch in the lake is under 15inches. Again, they are legal.

Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right, or even ethical for that matter. Every time someone adds a fish on the stringer, or pulls the trigger, we are making a management decision, whether we admit it, or not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
tom wilde said:
I agree with overdew. Their are a few people on this sight that really like to start negative arguments on this sight. I know from experience. I made a strong comment and opened a bee's nest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the thing is the does are allmost gone to have bucks you need does so think about that we dont have to shoot every deer we see my doe hunting for my county is over.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Sounds like the DNR agrees since they had no public land doe permits this year and only 100 last year.

I wouldn't burn a buck tag on one during archery so I guess I'm doing my part already for the good of the Mason County herd as per your request.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
tom wilde said:

I am with you and have been saying and doing the same thing for years. My land is also in NE Michigan (Alpena). I've said it many times in these forums; we need to assess the herd we hunt and harvest accordingly. When the numbers are extremely low we need to spare the doe. In such situations since I am a meat hunter, I will take any 1.5 year or older buck for the freezer.
I disagree with the comment that we "Shouldn't shoot any bucks then either". There are always enough bucks to breed the doe in my area. I like racks as much as anyone, but I hunt primarily for venison. The good news? After the decimation and slaughter of the herd by the ignorant few, they move on to greener pastures and your management decisions have more of an impact. I actually noted a small recovery of the herd in my area last season.
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Joe Archer said:
I actually noted a small recovery of the herd in my area last season.
<----<<<
Yepper Joe although seeings wasn't great I saw mainly small deer on my place with again no mature buck sign. I say one thing it was nice to sit in the woods without rifles cracking off all the time during archery:yikes: ......m;)

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
marty said:
Yepper Joe although seeings wasn't great I saw mainly small deer on my place with again no mature buck sign. I say one thing it was nice to sit in the woods without rifles cracking off all the time during archery:yikes: ......m;)
I saw a few doe, some spikes, a three-point and had a freakin' 4.5 year old "Booner" pass 5 yards behind me!
My daughter took a small doe with her bow because it was her first year hunting.
I passed on everything during archer season waiting for a chance at that big one. I ended up taking a three-point opening morning of rifle and called it a season.
<----<<<

1 - 18 of 18 Posts