Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some low life piece of no good dirty rotten ******* stole
4 - brand new convector 55's with 250, 300, 350 copper and 10 color lead core.
2 - Diawa Sealine 45's with 5 and 7 color lead core. all on 8' Okuma copper/ lead core rods
1-Fifth of Grey Goose
1-box of 30 assorted Rapala HJ, J9, J-11, and Walleye Divers.

We parked at the Tawas Beach Resort dock, ran in for late dinner and a drink Thursday night 11-12:30
came out a few thousand dollars worth of gear lighter. Was only 150 yards away at most. I can't belive some one would steal anoth mans fishing rods. If anyone sees them for sale or hears of anything please P.M. me with details. Cops are investigating but I don't have much faith in that...

·
Premium Member
29,959 Posts
Wow, that's crazy! Wouldn't expect that up there at all. Hopefully they get caught trying to pawn it. Sorry to hear this happened. It should be covered under your homeowners insurance, make sure to check it out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
that really sucks, we work hard so others can steal from us. I have been a victim myself of a quad, its a sick feeling!

·
Registered
15,000 Posts
Some real pieces of sheot out there. My equipment is getting aged but I still won't leave it unattended. I hear too many stories like this and I've been cleaned out before. I won't stop to shop or eat while traveling with my equipment, just walking in paying for fuel has a pucker factor at times. Hope they bust their azzez.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Some low life piece of no good dirty rotten ******* stole
4 - brand new convector 55's with 250, 300, 350 copper and 10 color lead core.
2 - Diawa Sealine 45's with 5 and 7 color lead core. all on 8' Okuma copper/ lead core rods
1-Fifth of Grey Goose
1-box of 30 assorted Rapala HJ, J9, J-11, and Walleye Divers.

We parked at the Tawas Beach Resort dock, ran in for late dinner and a drink Thursday night 11-12:30
came out a few thousand dollars worth of gear lighter. Was only 150 yards away at most. I can't belive some one would steal anoth mans fishing rods. If anyone sees them for sale or hears of anything please P.M. me with details. Cops are investigating but I don't have much faith in that...
I worked in the Soo as a PO in the 90's and had a case where an 18 yr old kid was going around to the various motels at night. When he saw a boat he would sneak into them and steal rods and tackle boxes. All of these were fishermen that came up for various fishing events. One of our officers got information on him and served a search warrant and got back the equipment for that case but was talking about all that he had. We obtained another search warrant and went into the house where he lived with his parents. We took about 25 rods and reels, many duplicates and triplicates of various spoons. Between 20 and 30 little cleo's, the same for red and white daredevils. He had between 500 and 1,000 lures that we knew he did not buy. When he was raided the first time he got scared because he had so many rods in the house that he cut up a number of them and threw them in the power canal. When he was found guilty his mother pleaded with us to speak up for him as he told her that all he wanted for Christmas was a picture of Jesus. I told her that if he said "Good Morning" I would go out to check the sun because I did not believe anything he said. He was sent to prison for 2 to 5 yrs which was not enough. His mother continued to believe he was just misguided. He lived in the parents house and they did not have any idea that he was stealing all the rods, reels and tackle that he had in his basement. They must have never went down there as anyone with half a brain would wonder where an 18 year old kid could get that much equipment with little or no money. She was the problem and I could not talk to her anymore. Your case in Tawas sounds very similar to this as I can't imagine many fisherman that would be crawling around the docks at that time of night.

·
Premium Member
29,959 Posts
I worked in the Soo as a PO in the 90's and had a case where an 18 yr old kid was going around to the various motels at night. When he saw a boat he would sneak into them and steal rods and tackle boxes. All of these were fishermen that came up for various fishing events. One of our officers got information on him and served a search warrant and got back the equipment for that case but was talking about all that he had. We obtained another search warrant and went into the house where he lived with his parents. We took about 25 rods and reels, many duplicates and triplicates of various spoons. Between 20 and 30 little cleo's, the same for red and white daredevils. He had between 500 and 1,000 lures that we knew he did not buy. When he was raided the first time he got scared because he had so many rods in the house that he cut up a number of them and threw them in the power canal. When he was found guilty his mother pleaded with us to speak up for him as he told her that all he wanted for Christmas was a picture of Jesus. I told her that if he said "Good Morning" I would go out to check the sun because I did not believe anything he said. He was sent to prison for 2 to 5 yrs which was not enough. His mother continued to believe he was just misguided. He lived in the parents house and they did not have any idea that he was stealing all the rods, reels and tackle that he had in his basement. They must have never went down there as anyone with half a brain would wonder where an 18 year old kid could get that much equipment with little or no money. She was the problem and I could not talk to her anymore. Your case in Tawas sounds very similar to this as I can't imagine many fisherman that would be crawling around the docks at that time of night.
I remember that Bob! The beginning of the 90's is when I started going to the Soo every year fishing from the rail by powerhouse for the kings...I was thinking someone younger also when he had mentioned the vodka being taken also. If someone was out for a quick buck to steal equipment and sell, or use, I think they would have overlooked taking that, but to a person under 21, that's GOLD. And I'd say more than one person to grab and go with all that in one stash.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't worry about it on my trailer as it is 7 feet to the edge and I need a 8' ladder to get in the boat. There where 27 rods on the boat, they grabbed the 6 in rod holders closest the the edge. It was one of 3 boats on the dock that took them, the resort has security video and no one walked down the dock with them.

·
Premium Member
29,959 Posts
I don't worry about it on my trailer as it is 7 feet to the edge and I need a 8' ladder to get in the boat. There where 27 rods on the boat, they grabbed the 6 in rod holders closest the the edge. It was one of 3 boats on the dock that took them, the resort has security video and no one walked down the dock with them.
If the footage showed no one walking off with any, then they're probably in a boat not far away from where yours was?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two of other boats left and did not come back. My guess is they were in the bar, came out grabbed my stuff and cruised into the darkness.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Two of other boats left and did not come back. My guess is they were in the bar, came out grabbed my stuff and cruised into the darkness.
Cops should have talked to the bartender/waitresses. They might have been able to describe who might have been in those boats local or otherwise. If not local they might have given a description for them to look at other places like restaurants, gas fill ups etc. You would be surprised at what the people working in those bars notice or can remember. It would be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Wow.....

It is one thing to park someplace and have someone do a snatch and grab but to think that someone who, like you, had a boat and stopped for few minutes is pretty hard to swallow. I doubt they will be selling your stuff. They sound like they were "upgrading" their equipment.

I'm sure you are like me: we work hard for our stuff. We don't get it for free. I've stopped utilizing a lot of local businesses simply because I am afraid of what might happen while I am inside. It is a true shame. I'm sorry for your losses

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Sorry to hear about the theft. It really gives our town a bad name whether the theaves were from here or not. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Did you happen to notice anything about the other boats? Make or style etc.?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Sorry to hear that your equipment was taken. The local businesses need you. The community doesn't take kindly to this type of crime. I hope they catch the SOBs and hang them out to dry.

Reactions: niteeyes

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Sorry to hear that your equipment was taken. The local businesses need you. The community doesn't take kindly to this type of crime. I hope they catch the SOBs and hang them out to dry.
Actually Frank creeps like those are in almost every city. I remember a thread on here 3 or 4 years ago about someone needing a motel in Saginaw. Someone mentioned that they should avoid a motel in the Shields area as that was where fishermen were going and a number of them had equipment stolen out of their boats. It was not the motel owners fault however he probably lost a lot of business from people on here that did not want to rent a room only to find that their equipment was stolen before they could use it. If people would pay attention and become involved when they see something unusual it could help out a number of potential victims including the business people.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Cops should have talked to the bartender/waitresses. They might have been able to describe who might have been in those boats local or otherwise. If not local they might have given a description for them to look at other places like restaurants, gas fill ups etc. You would be surprised at what the people working in those bars notice or can remember. It would be worth a shot.
Or they may have a credit card receipt if they paid with one worth a shot.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Resort would not let me review the camera footage and didn't really want to give me the time of day, they said it doesn't view well at lower light. I wanted to see the boats that parked next to me in the light and they wouldn't let me. they said they would review and get back with me if the thought anything was out of the normal. The officer was in Training, his trainjng officer didn't want to waste his time to even see where it happened or talk to the resort for me. They called me from there squad car and asked me to walk 3 blocks to a different property to talk to them because it was starting to sprinkle. He was a @&$! and was questioning why I would want to make out a report over something so petty. I plan to write a letter to the Chief and also the resort. Needless to say this will be my last trip to Tawas. I have spent thousands in that town this year and last.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
The Resort would not let me review the camera footage and didn't really want to give me the time of day, they said it doesn't view well at lower light. I wanted to see the boats that parked next to me in the light and they wouldn't let me. they said they would review and get back with me if the thought anything was out of the normal. The officer was in Training, his trainjng officer didn't want to waste his time to even see where it happened or talk to the resort for me. They called me from there squad car and asked me to walk 3 blocks to a different property to talk to them because it was starting to sprinkle. He was a @&$! and was questioning why I would want to make out a report over something so petty. I plan to write a letter to the Chief and also the resort. Needless to say this will be my last trip to Tawas. I have spent thousands in that town this year and last.
If I were you I would call and make an appointment with the Chief and explain what happened. He will give you better satisfaction with a face to face meeting rather than by letter. Also write down some things that the officers could have done so you will remember them and ask if he could get them to do them. The police can get that film but you better hurry because a lot of businesses will not retain the tapes and normally tape over them within three days just as a cost savings. Sure sounds like the young officer needs a better training officer. Most chiefs want their officers to be a little more responsive to a complainant and realize that they answer to those businesses that will be losing your money.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
As a former deputy this was the type of case I would have worked by butt off to solve. I'm sorry the cop was a prick. Maybe try calling the sheriff department directly if it was a city cop you talked with. This prick is exactly why cops get a bad rap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
As a former deputy this was the type of case I would have worked by butt off to solve. I'm sorry the cop was a prick. Maybe try calling the sheriff department directly if it was a city cop you talked with. This prick is exactly why cops get a bad rap.
Are you talking about the state dock? The City of East Tawas has recording cameras operating at the foot of the dock and at the water fountain. The officer should have immediately reviewed that video footage. You should schedule a joint meeting with Chief Mark Ferguson and City Manager Blinda Baker. The lazy cop needs a different career.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts