Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're from Lake Huron
And you can find 'em along coast

PORT SANILAC -- People who have written off Lake Huron's salmon fishing may have acted prematurely, at least as far as the early season goes.

Lake Huron's salmon harvest peaked at 130,000 fish in 1998, averaged 60,000-100,000 through 2003 and then began a precipitous drop to about 10,000 in 2006. In part, that's because when word spread about the salmon decline, many anglers moved to Lake Michigan, creating something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070503/SPORTS10/705030387/1058

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
That is Getaway from the site.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Yup. That's me.

Cool article! Eric really did a nice job!

One little thing I noticed:

"The fish we caught this year were smaller than last year. We noticed we didn't see the 13-17 pounders that we usually see this time of year. The biggest chinook was 10 pounds, 2 ounces."

What I actually said was "we are missing the 13-17#ers we used to see in years past."

Actually, the fish I saw this year are bigger than last year's fish.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Just shows that while it might be more difficult for the newer guys, seasoned anglers still get the job done. Great article Bob. Glad to see your still out there taking care of business.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Getaway said:
Yup. That's me.

Cool article! Eric really did a nice job!

One little thing I noticed:

"The fish we caught this year were smaller than last year. We noticed we didn't see the 13-17 pounders that we usually see this time of year. The biggest chinook was 10 pounds, 2 ounces."

What I actually said was "we are missing the 13-17#ers we used to see in years past."

Actually, the fish I saw this year are bigger than last year's fish.

That's what I was thinking when I read the article. I didn't remember anybody talking about 13-17lbers last spring. Good to hear the fish are actually getting bigger:D Good to shed some good light on Huron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts