Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used a Thema-cell while bear hunting?? I have one for my trip, I also have a Bug-tamer jacket, My question is how effective is the therma-cell. I shoot much better without the headnet{ I will be shooting with it on everyday to get used to it ] but.. I would much rather not use the headnet part of the coat. Do they work as well as they are promoted to? I'm hunting the third week of June in Quebec I'm pretty sure bugs will be thick at this time.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I was in Saskatchewan last June bear hunting, Greg Abbas from A-Way outdoors and his crew were leaving the day I arrived. Several people in Greg's party had the Therma-Cell, they all raved about it. After a couple of them tagged out they loaned them to the guys still hunting, they too were very impressed. I bought one when I returned from Canada and have used it several times, it truly is a great product and it works every bit as well as it's advertised to.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
i used one last year while i was bear hunting and it worked great and i seen bears both nights i sat....first night i had a sow and 2 cubs 7-10 yards below me and they never smelled anything and the second night the bear i seen is hanging over my fireplace now...and it didnt smell anything either and as far as masquito's it works great!!! i would use it for sure.
good luck,
tjstebb

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I haven't used it bear hunting yet, but it has already saved some turkey hunting days for me.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
spectr17 said:
Best thing for skeeters I've found. Wouldn't leave home without it.
Absolutely. The one caveat that they make is that its effectiveness is decreased in windy conditions, although I haven't necessarily found that to be the case. These little gadgets are great - its like an invisible, odorless bug barrier around wherever you're sitting. Only down side is that they are fairly expensive to use (gotta replace the "mat" and little propane cartridge fairly often if using for any length of time), but in my opinion they are well worth it.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Another vote here for the Therma-Cell. This time of the year, never leave home without it. Be sure to get some refills to take with you.

btw, Cabela seems to have about the best price that I've found so far, but I'd definitely check out Ninja first.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Two Thumbs UP! I built a tower blind last summer and the skeeters were terrible. Fired it up and I was barely bothered at all. I tend to use pore butane than the mats though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Works great, Went turkey hunting and had 20 mosquitoes by my head the whole time. Next time out same thing but took dads new therma-cell after 10minutes not a single bug around, I didnt think it would work when they were just that bad, but it did.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
I have a question. Do you take the little "chips" and propane cartridge out of them between uses or just leave them in?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
775 Posts
MichiganHunter1971 said:
OK it works on mosquitos what about Gnats in october while bowhunting?
:yeahthat:
I'm rarely ever bothered by mosquitos while bow hunting but the nats drive me absolutely nuts. I was thinking of getting a Th. cell but only if they get rid of the nats too.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Bowslayer said:
:yeahthat:
I'm rarely ever bothered by mosquitos while bow hunting but the nats drive me absolutely nuts. I was thinking of getting a Th. cell but only if they get rid of the nats too.
I was reading reviews from the Cabela's website on the Thermacell's and a couple of reviews stated that they work for nats as well.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I warned my son about the possibility of bugs when he told me he wanted to get married in the afternoon on Memorial Day weekend on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay.

With all those women wearing all that perfume, it was terrible...my oldest son, best man at the wedding, hauled out two thermacells, attaching one to his belt and another to his brother, the bridegroom.

They were the most popular people at the wedding...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I used one for the first time during turkey season, they work great. I was in my popup blind and a buck came within 15 feet of the blind and didn't pay me any attention. I will be using mine during this bear season and during bow season. I recomend getting one. Bass Pro has them on sale this week and they also have the replacement packs on sale.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts