Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a brand new ATV ...

So what precautions can be taken to keep someone from stealing your trailer and/or your ATV off of the trailer?

What kind of locks or security devices do people use?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good luck with the new ATV. I use a MasterLock cable when its in the garage. I thread it through a hole in the rear wheel and around the suspension.
I also bought a motorcycle alarm. It has a remote like a car alarm as well as a remote start and disable. Great for camping. You activate it and if anyone even sits an the bike the alarm goes off. About 50 bucks on ebay. Just search motorcycle/atv alarms.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea on the alarm! I'll check it out.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Several years ago I was comming back from ice fishing stopped to eat .had my snowmobile chained to my trailor my hitch locked to the ball , when I came back to my truck everything was gone they took the nut off the hitch ball. L put the ball on with two 24 in pipe wrenches I now tack weld the nut to the stud I guess if they want it they will take it;)

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
I would insure if its new and not sweat it. I have an 88 and a 92 so my only worry is someone doesnt ticket me for littering when I park them on the ice.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is why I called the thread theft "Deterrence". Man it pisses me off that we even have to worry about it.:rant:

I was thinking of rigging a trail cam up in the bed of my truck somehow. :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
:lol:bust out the good ol spray paint and make it looks trashy
or just roll it a few times and make it look like a peice of crap

i dont think anyone would want it then..maybe not even yourself
:lol:

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
for the trailer hitch was recommended by many in the bussiness the Gorilla Lock....they say don't loose the key because there a son of a ***** to get off!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I got the new honda rincon . kinda expensive, So I got insurance . & if it gets gone ... I get a new one! :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have an old crappy 3 wheeler so I dont really concern myself with it. But I have a friend that has a new machine that he keeps in the garage and when he is not using it he takes all of the tires off and puts them in the basement. If he is too lazy at the time to do that, he will usually let all of the air out of the tires and chain it to one of those giant tent tie downs he had cemeted in his garage floor. A little extreme but it works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When i have it in the garage i throw a log chain around the bottom of the frame where it is hard to cut down there. it still can be cut, but it will take a while. i like to lock my trailer to my jeep by padlocking the safety chain to the back. if i'm going to leave my atv on my trailer somewhere, i'll take that trusty log chain and throw it around the frame and through the a hole in the tire rim. that way they both stay put. i don't like locking the tounge because it's real easy to unbolt the tounge. i live at a fraternity house at central and i keep my atv there, i just lock it up with the chain, and cover it and no one has ever messed with it. most people couldn't figure out how to turn it on if you gave them the key.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I try to keep all of my Toys in LOW profile, covered up, move them in the dark, don't load untill the morning of the trip , two 100 lbs hungry dogs, and a $50.00 motion detector, :corkysm55 ,now in the state of Michigan you can not use deadly force to protect privite property, oxie moron, it takes you all your life to get your toys, record all serial numbers, and most of all if you feel something out of place investigate, buy good insurance, and watch out for the rif/raf........:yikes: ~~~~~><>... Jumbo.!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I use the Louisiana Guard Dog with locking hitch pins to keep it on the trailer. The trailer is locked to steel fence posts in the yard with 1/2" coated cable. I've had the cable and a HURD padlock since 1972 when I bought my first snowmobile. When hooked to my truck I padlock one of the safety chains to the hitch and use locking pins on the hitch and receiver. If parked at a motel I also have a 15' 3/8" cable that I run through the ATV frame and padlock it to the hitch brackets. My buddy's think I'm anal but I currently have a 2005 ARCTIC 650 V2 and an aluminum trailer and yeah the insurance company may pay me off but then I'll have to trick it out all over again. Some places you can't have enough, especially if fishing Lake Simcoe. Lot's of guys have had their machines stolen around Beaverton! Lots of paperwork in a foreign country.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Jumbo said:
I try to keep all of my Toys in LOW profile, covered up, move them in the dark, don't load untill the morning of the trip , two 100 lbs hungry dogs, and a $50.00 motion detector, :corkysm55 ,now in the state of Michigan you can not use deadly force to protect privite property, oxie moron, it takes you all your life to get your toys, record all serial numbers, and most of all if you feel something out of place investigate, buy good insurance, and watch out for the rif/raf........:yikes: ~~~~~><>... Jumbo.!
Well lets be teal, if someone is stealing my machines, I'm going out, then deadly force would be used to protect me, the machine would be incidental

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I had 2 brand new CBR 600 motorcycles, the first one had 15 miles on it when it along with a pickup in the neighborhood were stolen. The thieves used the truck to steal the bike. Insurance replaced. Lesson learned! The second one had a huge master lock and chain along with an alarm system with parameter scensor and pager. The alarm would chirp if movemement was detected within a specified distance, if the movement around the bike continued for, I believe 10-15 seconds or if the bike was touched, the alarm would go off. The thieves, cut through the chain but by that time the alarm was going off and so was my pager. Unfortunatly they were gone before the 357 had time to go off.:rolleyes:
The cops found the first one a year later almost to the day when it was stolen riding around in Detroit, so the thieves eventually did get caught.

no 357 was actually involved in the incident, but this was the straw that broke the camels back and so I moved my family back north, Ahhhh!
The bottom line, is who wants the atv more, the theives or you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts