Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

The walleye are not gone

2080 6
I just want to reminisce a little from earlier this year when everyone screaming that the walleye were gone from saginaw bay. (Back when the water was so clean the fish wouldn't bite). 3 month later (today) i know someone who got 18 keeps in 6 fow. I went 7 for 11 in 11-12 fow.. had a report of over a dozen caught in 80fow and read a report from a charter out of oscoda got a few mixed in with there silver in over 130fow.. seems the walleye are around.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
My rational self kept telling me that it was just a down period and the fishery was ok but dark thoughts kept creeping in Nick!
I just want to reminisce a little from earlier this year when everyone screaming that the walleye were gone from saginaw bay. (Back when the water was so clean the fish wouldn't bite). 3 month later (today) i know someone who got 18 keeps in 6 fow. I went 7 for 11 in 11-12 fow.. had a report of over a dozen caught in 80fow and read a report from a charter out of oscoda got a few mixed in with there silver in over 130fow.. seems the walleye are around.

I knew they were there, on one of my ealry season skunks on the bay this year (i had only ever been skunked once prior to this spring on the bay) i could see them on side scan. With the lack of rain the water was unbelievably clear.. like could make out individually gravels on the bottom in 19 fow..I also marked them by the hundreds through the ice in February and watched them on camera also not bitting! Between the clean water and piles of bait around the inner bay... i just knew the fishing had changed. I was picturing lindy rigs with 6lb test to catch a few walleye every day. Then the rain came.. muddied the water up and boom.

My rational self kept telling me that it was just a down period and the fishery was ok but dark thoughts kept creeping in Nick!
Moral of the story!
Don't jump the gun with the sky is falling narrative. LOL
Definitely enough around to keep you busy that’s forsure.
Kept 12, lost a few eyes and a bunch of junk fish mixed in. Probably one of my more relaxing days out because it wasn’t a fire drill for hours, just set the auto pilot crack a beer and enjoy the day.
East side 13 fow, 1-1/4 Oz inline with meat
25 back,,Blue and pink caught the most
Took a little bit to get out of the green slim but once we did it was steady action.
Finally got a lip ring after 20 some years of beating these eyes up on the bay
Fun day that’s for sure 🍻🍻
Thanks for a great report. Now if I could get away from doctors visits to get over on a good day. 🙃 Those wonderful "golden years". Only gold in them is that going to the medical people.😂
Definitely enough around to keep you busy that’s forsure.
Kept 12, lost a few eyes and a bunch of junk fish mixed in. Probably one of my more relaxing days out because it wasn’t a fire drill for hours, just set the auto pilot crack a beer and enjoy the day.
East side 13 fow, 1-1/4 Oz inline with meat
25 back,,Blue and pink caught the most
Took a little bit to get out of the green slim but once we did it was steady action.
Finally got a lip ring after 20 some years of beating these eyes up on the bay
Fun day that’s for sure 🍻🍻
Agreed, it was quite comical watching everyone blame the dams breaking causing all the fish to leave. I've never seen the water as clear as it was this spring. Even noticed that during ice fishing season. Wife and I took our almost three year old out for a quick trip last Sunday and got 14 in three short passes. I've never marked fish and bait like I did then. Good to see the glory days are back.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.