Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to those of you who weighed in on the "time to followup a hit" thread a couple weeks back. Brother-in-law hit a buck opening morning that bedded down, then got up and bedded down a short distance away. He waited a couple hours, then went looking. No hair, no blood. Jumped it but could not make a safe shot, watched it run onto neighbor's property(corn field) and figured it would keep going.

I took the advice given of just leaving it alone--waited until 8 PM to go looking. Walked the corn field and found a drop of blood. A couple rows later, another. Not much, very low, on both sides of the deer. And the smell...rumen all the way. No blood for 5 rows, 6, 7. Headed downhill to a weedy waterway. Then a drop of blood and there he is! Small 5 point, hit low inside the second-to- last rib. Nicked the liver and opened the stomach. Died in his last bed, legs were tucked under him, stiff as a board.

Not exactly the way you'd like to tell a successful deer story, but as I told my brother-in-law--I'd feel a lot worse if we hadn't spent the hour it took to look and have the neighbor find the deer when he combines the field!

That buck tagged him out as he killed a 4x2 half rack earlier in the day.

Thanks again for the good advice!

Eric

·
Super Moderator
11,733 Posts
Howdy-

Glad to hear of the successful recovery !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts