Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

The waiting game

695 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  waxico 
#1 ·
Well, I live in Chicago now (aka the land of no guns, no public land, and no clean rivers) but I will be doing all of my hunting in northern MI. Will be heading up this month a couple times for grouse, but really can't wait until october when I can make it up for the ducks. I have been to cabela's countless times, bought ridiculous amounts of gear, and it is killing me not being able to use it yet. Also got a new Citori, which shoots like a dream.
To all of you who have already been out for the early goose, keep the pics and threads coming, since it is all I have to keep me sane until I make it back up!! And hey Kenny Marble, you out there???
Jackson

#2 ·
I know a couple of guides that can help you out around chicagoland.

lived there for 6 years myself (and enjoyed some of the best/consistently awesome goose hunting I've ever had).

If you're interested in some contacts, send me a PM.

#3 ·
Well, I live in Chicago now (aka the land of no guns, no public land, and no clean rivers) but I will be doing all of my hunting in northern MI. Will be heading up this month a couple times for grouse, but really can't wait until october when I can make it up for the ducks. I have been to cabela's countless times, bought ridiculous amounts of gear, and it is killing me not being able to use it yet. Also got a new Citori, which shoots like a dream.
To all of you who have already been out for the early goose, keep the pics and threads coming, since it is all I have to keep me sane until I make it back up!! And hey Kenny Marble, you out there???
Jackson
Man check around chicago there are plenty of places to get out and hunt. Especially once if you go west on 55, plenty of farm fields to try and snag a few permission slips from.. and from what I saw last few years geese were always around, plenty of nuisance geese to be shot

#4 ·
Jackson
I'm originally from the Chicago area, Hoffman Estates to be exact it's a northwest suburb of Chicago and although I didn't get into hunting until I moved here I can tell you there is plenty of hunting opportunities in Illinois. If you live in the city then you might have to drive a bit. I would like to tell you of a time a few years ago I was driving along Randall Rd. in Algonquin and the best way I can describe what I saw was it looked like a scene from the movie The Birds. The sky was literally black with geese flying out of fields. I think you will find plenty of guns and public land if you look hard enough and maybe a clean river or two outside the city :lol:. I will help you out with a link to some public land for waterfowling and even dove, yes dove hunting is legal in Illinois ...imagine that. They even have an early teal season. I hope this helps.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hunter_fact_sheet/index.htm

#6 ·
Your money is being held by a kid named Larry Sellers. Real ****ing brat, but I'm sure your goons can get it off him. I mean, he's fifteen.

Flunking social studies.

try NW indiana... newton county. couple public bingos there that can be good.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have also seen amazing numbers of geese and ducks in the area. I suppose I have just felt a bit defeated lately, since finding out about needing a FOID, and having to knock on doors to hunt. I am used to going wherever I please, without running into another hunter or anyone for that matter. I think once this season is over, and I've got more time to explore and prepare, I will be ready to hunt in this area next fall. I am working on my house up in michigan this fall, so hunting there over the weekends makes the most sense right now. I will definitely check out the links, and brant, I will get in touch with you. The dude abides.

#8 ·
If you have any questions about the area just PM me I will help in any way I can. I can steer you in the right direction on where to start. If you take I90 west toward Rockford there should be plenty of farmland past Elgin and Algonquin. I haven't been out that way in 8 yrs. and I know urban sprawl has been on the move in that direction. Also if you head north on I294 toward the Wisconsin border there should be some opportunity up that way. Anywhere along the Wisconsin border there is plenty of country to scout out but you will have to knock on doors for permission. Maybe a public place to check out is in Spring Grove on Grass Lake which is part of the Chain O'Lakes. It's a managed waterfowl area about 5,900 acres of it that has lot's of blinds to hunt in. Check out the link about the rules and such. There is plenty of public hunting along the mighty Mississippi River from pool #16 near Moline, IL. all the way to pool #26 just north of St. Louis. They tell you if it's boat access only or if there are walk in areas but most walk in areas seem to be further south.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.