Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got back to my computer. I was up a week ago in the UP for five days. I had a good time, but did have much luck. The few locals I spoke with said they were really grouping up, so seeing them in ones, two, and threes was not happening. Needless to say I did not find a group. But I had fun and was able to hang out in Hulbert on that Saturday night for a few hours with my breeder and some of his dogs ( Sammy's Dad, a cousin, a second cousin, and my two). We had five at one point running around in the the Happy Hour Bar. They are all family up there and love to have the dogs around. The bar owner owns the Sire to my Sammy, and her daughters family own the others. It was interesting to spend some time with some people that really know the breed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pardon my stupidity but are all Vizslas smaller than the Weims? (won't attempt spelling it)
I thought they were they same size, temperment etc. Well, anyway, you have a nice looking group of pups. Was there a ton of snow? If so, how'd they do in it?

John

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
V's are quite a bit smaller than weims, averaging about 45 to 60 lbs...

·
Registered
358 Posts
pporonto said:
V's are quite a bit smaller than weims, averaging about 45 to 60 lbs...
Thanks...thats how big my GSP is (perfect)...i'd really love to add a Vizsla. It's that little voice in my head saying "no John we can't do that"...or is that my wife?

:bash:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ballgame19 said:
Pardon my stupidity but are all Vizslas smaller than the Weims? (won't attempt spelling it)
I thought they were they same size, temperment etc.
John

Vizslas standard reads for size:
Ideal Dogs 22-24 inches Bitches 21-23 inches....

They may range 1.5 inches out of the ideal:
Dogs 20.5-25.5 / Bitches 19.5-24.5
anything outside of that is a DQ within the breed.

Weims:
Ideal Height
dogs, 25-27 inches; bitches, 23-25 inches.
Can be one inch over or under-
Dogs 24 -28 inches
Bitches 22-26 inches

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Weim is an abomination anyways. He is the largest I have ever scene at all of one hundred pounds and Paws the size of cats:) . Though the larger Viz in the photo was huge. He was 2.5 and was all of eighty or eighty-five pounds, I was suprised. What those breeders are working on is the more block headed style, lean Viz's with the darker coats, weeding out the rat faced look they get from the grey hound. They and I agree like the Viz's with the nice dark stripe down their back and little white. One thing I have scene right away is that the leaner smaller pooch can beat the brush longer and harder for sure. I like my big weim, but the Viz runs circles around him in the field.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
WEIM-VIZ said:
My Weim is an abomination anyways. He is the largest I have ever scene at all of one hundred pounds and Paws the size of cats:) . Though the larger Viz in the photo was huge. He was 2.5 and was all of eighty or eighty-five pounds, I was suprised. What those breeders are working on is the more block headed style, lean Viz's with the darker coats, weeding out the rat faced look they get from the grey hound. They and I agree like the Viz's with the nice dark stripe down their back and little white. One thing I have scene right away is that the leaner smaller pooch can beat the brush longer and harder for sure. I like my big weim, but the Viz runs circles around him in the field.
I've seen hundreds of Vizslas. The heaviest being 73 lbs. - 85 lbs. is way over size. As for the head and face. It shouldn't be pointy, the muzzle should end squarely but the head shouldn't be blocky like a lab's. This has nothing to do with grey hounds which were not part of the Vizsla's probable foundation stock. The dark "stripe" you described is called the "Esterhazy Saddle" it's very common but not normally bred for. When present in Weimaraners it's referred to as an "Eel Stripe".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Barry- The guy's name is George Plank. But it was his reference to grey hounds not mine. He has serveral different colors from light to dark as he explained it. Apparetnly he has one or two of the offspring that came from "Just Howard" who recently passed that Grychk's owned sp?. If I remember the explaination, Just Howard was purchased straight from Hungry years ago. I am not an elitest that really cares about that stuff. I personally just liked the darker, silkier coat mine has. He was giving me his logic on how he was breeding together particular dogs he had because he liked that characteristic also. I think one thing that impressed me about George and his family was their interest in me and my dog. They were really curious of how he was doing, what type of home he was now in. They even took the time to buy my pup a new toy as I had phoned them, letting them know I would be in town. My goal with the Vizla purcase was to get a dog that:

A: Was like a Weimaraner, clean, sharp, sleek, and not on every street corner
B: Had a lot of drive and ability to hunt
C: Would make a good, loving pet
D: Had a temperment that would allow him to come to my office

After having had my pup for a while now, and spending more time with George. I am considering signing up for another one from their summer litter.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
They look like nice dogs weim-viz. Are you sure they're over 80 lbs. though? They don't look that big. That would be a huge Vizsla.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
WEIM-VIZ said:
After having had my pup for a while now, and spending more time with George. I am considering signing up for another one from their summer litter.
Just keep saying to yourself. . .wait until this one gets older, wait until this one gets older. . . at least that is what I had to do. ;)

You should see BMACs weim Orion. . .I think he is only 90-95 lbs, but I think he is taller than I am. :lol:

And Sky is as they say, a small bitch. . .she was about 52 lbs in this pic, I think she is around 55-57 lbs right now since being on the seizure meds.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They only had one V I saw that was huge. To be honest I did not really like the way it looked, it was almost like a lab in Vizla fur. I would say mine will most likely fall in the 70 lb or under range. Sammy's pop was about 70lbs named Elvis. They actually called Sammy Lil Elvis before I came about him due to his reseblence to him. I actually hope he stays smaller, His agility is what really impresses me.

And that is a nice looking Weim. I once owned a Skyler myself, I had a Skyler and one named Darby. They were both completely nuts form head to toe. It's funny beauce my Cody I bought right out of college with no research. And he turned out to be the best dog ever. Then the two I bought after that I researched and they were terrible dogs. I would imagine they are most likely driving those they found new homes with, NUTS!:bash: That being one big reason I did not buy another, I was one for three.

·
Registered
967 Posts
BarryPatch said:
I've seen hundreds of Vizslas. The heaviest being 73 lbs. - 85 lbs. is way over size. As for the head and face. It shouldn't be pointy, the muzzle should end squarely but the head shouldn't be blocky like a lab's. This has nothing to do with grey hounds which were not part of the Vizsla's probable foundation stock. The dark "stripe" you described is called the "Esterhazy Saddle" it's very common but not normally bred for. When present in Weimaraners it's referred to as an "Eel Stripe".

I am pretty sure the Vizsla doesnt have grey hound in its breeding However i cant speak for the Vizla :evilsmile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts