Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 718 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Well fellas, I'm pretty dang excited for this season.

I usually get the first season YY private land tag so I'll be in the pines from opening day till May 5th or whenever it is. I thought about getting a guaranteed May tag this year to focus on getting my GF a bird and give me more time to hunt around my school schedule, but remembered how bad the mosquitoes and 75 degree temps can be in May and decided otherwise :evil:

I'll be getting out to turkey paradise in the next 3 weeks or so once I get a break from school to give the landowner a nice steak house gift card and put my cams up. 2 years ago, I had a double bearded jake running around so hopefully I'll catch up with him this year or at least get a couple pictures of him.

What seasons and where abouts will you guys do most of your hunting?

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
18,921 Posts
Checking in fellas. Lets get this deed done boys! I got a lease with bucksnbows in Hillsdale this year. We were on the lease in Jan. and saw pretty close to 100 birds. Should be good:lol:. I plan on using a bow again. I got hunt 301 so I will be ready to do some bug crushing on April 20th.
Jim, it would be pretty cool to document our snood crushing event on video this year, that way they can cry over and over again.:lol:
I am going to make up some team calls for us so I will keep yas all posted when they are done.
Love the graphics Jim, well done!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Checking in fellas. Lets get this deed done boys! I got a lease with bucksnbows in Hillsdale this year. We were on the lease in Jan. and saw pretty close to 100 birds. Should be good:lol:. I plan on using a bow again. I got hunt 301 so I will be ready to do some bug crushing on April 20th.
Jim, it would be pretty cool to document our snood crushing event on video this year, that way they can cry over and over again.:lol:
I am going to make up some team calls for us so I will keep yas all posted when they are done.
That's awesome!

Always encouraging to see a lot of birds like that in the winter. A week before the season last year, I drove out to turkey paradise 1 and there were 4 toms showing off to 6-8 hens right where I usually put my blind.....Talk about encouraging! :lol:

I was planning on using my bow for the first time this year but upon being recruited by RMH for the contest, I think I'll be taking the boom-stick out to tilt the odds a little more in my favor.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Glad to be on the team! I can't wait for the season to begin. Just bought a Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2 kickstand vest, and I've been setting that up and organizing my calls. I have the first season private land tag. Last year, I shot a triple beard, my biggest yet. Going to do a few things different this year, though. One, record longer and get more footage of the birds, and two, stake my ground blind down. When I set it up last year, there wasn't any wind... Until the turkeys started committing, then it was blowing straight in my open window, turning it into a kite. I basically had both feet on each edge, and had to use the gun to hold it down. As you can see in the video, because of that, I didn't put a good first shot in my bird, and needed a second to end it.
Here's the video of his demise:

MI Turkey 2014:

·
Premium Member
14,930 Posts
Tominator calls...........sweet.

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
18,921 Posts
Glad to be on the team! I can't wait for the season to begin. Just bought a Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2 kickstand vest, and I've been setting that up and organizing my calls. I have the first season private land tag. Last year, I shot a triple beard, my biggest yet. Going to do a few things different this year, though. One, record longer and get more footage of the birds, and two, stake my ground blind down. When I set it up last year, there wasn't any wind... Until the turkeys started committing, then it was blowing straight in my open window, turning it into a kite. I basically had both feet on each edge, and had to use the gun to hold it down. As you can see in the video, because of that, I didn't put a good first shot in my bird, and needed a second to end it.
Here's the video of his demise:

MI Turkey 2014:
http://youtu.be/eA2kCQvkESk
Sweet video, I love that purring hen pecking on the decs head

·
Premium Member
14,930 Posts
Nice video's Jim and Luke!!! Cool pic Jim, I knew elitists left their corn standing until turkey season. The turkeys are in the corn stubble out by my place, a half mile down the road. Soon as this snow melts I will see them in my woods again. With so many options this season, I am not sure where I will end up killing a bird. Problems, problems!!!:)

·
Premium Member
18,921 Posts
Here is a prototype of the calls. Corian with slate over glass. They should be all turned by tommorrow eve. Monday I will see if the guy in town can engrave the slates for us.
Cool video Jim.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I bet you had to pick a few bb's out of that birds breast when you cooked it up, ay Luke? lol With that close of a shot, I'm sure that pattern was still extremely tight when it hit him.

Great birds fellas. The GF and I almost had a bird for her to shoot on camera, but couldn't them to close the last ten yards to get into her range.

Brush, that is a thing of beauty! Very cool

My turkey paradises consist mostly of fields with skinny woods so I spend most of my time on the edges. It is pretty cool chasing them in the woods so I'm a little jealous, Rich.

Jim, don't think I've forgotten about you! I plan on giving you a call in a week or so to come down and give you a hand. A had a bunch of assignments sneak up on me all at once and have been crazy busy but the semester ends in a week and a half.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Checking in fellas............

I was at mine and brushbusters Hillsdale lease a couple weeks ago and saw a ton of birds all over the place through out the day.
Between Hillsdale, Montcalm and some access I have in Lenawee I should be able to get on some birds.

Snoodes are going down this year with this team of allstars and prime properties.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Funny, I thought the same about hunting fields. I have only hunted woods.

Ha, it sure seems to be a bit easier to hunt field edges compared to woods but you can also experience a lot more heart breaks, in my opinion. It really is a bummer when you see a group of 3-5 mature birds fly down 200 yards away and strut for an hour, not step an inch in your direction, then disappear. In the woods, you can't see the bird too well until it's within 50 yards or so. It's less of a letdown when you have active birds in the timber I guess is what I'm trying to say.

But then again, it sure is nice to set up the pop up on the field edge and have a mature Tom fly down 25 yards in front of your blind gobbling his head off. That's how my cousin shot his first bird last season.

We had 3 mature birds strutting in the corner behind him in the picture with his bird, I was sitting to the right of him on the other side of the field and had one fly down just out of range, and then his flew down from one of the trees right behind the blind. :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Did you ever try setting up in the middle of the field? I used to try edges and "hide" my blind, a lot of times they would never fully commit. Now, I stick my blind in the open field, no cover, birds walk right up to it no problem. I use decoys though, and I think they lock onto those and ignore the rest.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Did you ever try setting up in the middle of the field? I used to try edges and "hide" my blind, a lot of times they would never fully commit. Now, I stick my blind in the open field, no cover, birds walk right up to it no problem. I use decoys though, and I think they lock onto those and ignore the rest.
I've done it once at a different property and as you said, they didn't seem to mind BUT I hardly ever use decoys anymore. I've had more birds hang up with them being used than not, so I keep them at home. When I did have my blind in the middle of the field, I had jakes and hens come in no problem, but watched this Tom strut for 20 minutes just inside the woodline and never step out in the field. I am going to experiment with the tail fan of the Tom I shot last year.

At the two main properties I hunt now, most of the turks I see stay within 30 yards of the edges the whole time. This year, I think it will be more the case than ever because they let the field go fallow and it is pretty thick and stiff weeds and the "path of least resistance" follows the edge.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Gotcha. I learned about the path of least resistance the hard way. Called a bird in, but he would never come in front of my blind. I could hear him right behind me, but he would not come out in front. Finally, after about 30 minutes, we both gave up. When I went to pack up, I noticed a big limb had fallen over the path leading in front of my blind. He wouldn't even walk through the field to get around it. Infuriating.
This year, I bought a kickstand vest from Cabelas. Thinking of trying some run and gun in the woods this season.

·
Tornado Jim
20,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bet you had to pick a few bb's out of that birds breast when you cooked it up, ay Luke? lol With that close of a shot, I'm sure that pattern was still extremely tight when it hit him.

Great birds fellas. The GF and I almost had a bird for her to shoot on camera, but couldn't them to close the last ten yards to get into her range.

Brush, that is a thing of beauty! Very cool

My turkey paradises consist mostly of fields with skinny woods so I spend most of my time on the edges. It is pretty cool chasing them in the woods so I'm a little jealous, Rich.

Jim, don't think I've forgotten about you! I plan on giving you a call in a week or so to come down and give you a hand. A had a bunch of assignments sneak up on me all at once and have been crazy busy but the semester ends in a week and a half.
I am coming over your way soon. Going to help RMH do some cutting. Perhaps we could work out a time when you are available? Would love to have somebody manning the video camera.

1 - 20 of 718 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.