Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arrowport replied to Tony's thread and stated he was in. So, he will be our sixth.

So, what's the plan?

Where is everyone hunting?
Which tag are you hunting?
Weapon of choice?

For me, I will be doing hunt 234 as it works best with my schedule. Probably will do some hunting all over. All on private. Likely in Tuscola and Arenac Counties. Did have a friend offer up some private in the Mesick area. We'll see.

Have a Mossberg 500 I will be dedicating to turkey hunting. I got a red sight earlier this month. Need to get it patterned still.

Lets hear it everyone. I am excited!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Arrowport replied to Tony's thread and stated he was in. So, he will be our sixth.

So, what's the plan?

Where is everyone hunting?
Which tag are you hunting?
Weapon of choice?

For me, I will be doing hunt 234 as it works best with my schedule. Probably will do some hunting all over. All on private. Likely in Tuscola and Arenac Counties. Did have a friend offer up some private in the Mesick area. We'll see.

Have a Mossberg 500 I will be dedicating to turkey hunting. I got a red sight earlier this month. Need to get it patterned still.

Lets hear it everyone. I am excited!

I'll be hunting second season in ZA around the Saginaw, Bay City, Midland area on public. I'm also heading to Indiana for a week to try my luck in Hoosier National Forest.

I have a little more patterning to do yet since the last time I was shooting got cut short for work and only got to pattern 1 choke and shell per gun. Around here I'm wanting to use my new Remington 870 Fieldmaster and I'll be taking my Stoeger M3020 and Stevens 301 20ga to Indiana for hiking in the hills.

The picture without a description is the StoegerM3020. I'm going to have to try some different shims to get the pattern to get more centered up. I'm out of adjustment on my rear fiber optic sight.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
be hunting kent county. have seen some Jake's on camera so far.
have first season on public.
as I said I am going in handicap this year with a 5 year old daughter.
but for me the hunt is enjoying the time I get a field
my best small game hunts have been with her and coming home empty handed.
Wish you all luck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I Hunt all Private in Monroe and Hillsdale County. I missed a big Tom close to home last year and he's my primary target this spring. I opt for the ZZ tag since I hate only having a smaller window to hunt. In years passed I've gone the statewide route and hunted Public in Gladwin and Arenac, but not this year. I will dig up a photo of my last if I can find it. Same size as my son lol

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Sorry I didn't know a team thread had been created.

My name is Derek and I hunt St. Clair County and pulled a tag for last week of April/first week of June, though i've rarely ever needed more than a few days to get it done. I've gone 5/6 on birds over the last 6 seasons. I killed my first turkey (a hen) out of a treestand with a bow when I was deer hunting in 2013 (got sick of seeing flock of 20+ birds milling underneath me) and figured how hard could this turkey hunting thing be? Lost a nice gobbler the next year and have been hooked ever since. I have access to a few smaller private parcels near my house where turkey numbers are generally good throughout the year. If private is a bust i'll make my way up to state land to see if I can't get it done.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
was starting to worry have been a couple weeks with no bird picks.
my second camera caught a bird this morning about 250 yards from the spot I thinking about sitting in for the opener.
sitting about 400 yards off the road. across the road is private with a corn and hay field.
other side of me will be a two track used by hikers and horses. than a nice marsh to one side and a clear cut on other.
I'm just about center of all this.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
31,556 Posts
2022 Newbies. Possible champs? Possibly?

Team Members:

tom_the_chemist
d_rek
wildcoy73
Snowhunter
matt76cmich1

Still trying to identify sixth and final member, but we are here and ready to rock.

Add Arrowport to this post.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Picked up a new shotgun that I think will be my new number 1. I was impressed with the quality improvement of the, now Rem Arms, 870 Fieldmaster 12ga I bought that when I saw a 20ga Fieldmaster for sale I had to buy it. It's an all black synthetic compact with a 21" barrel. If I hunt with it this year it will be as is, but I plan on swapping the stock for a pistol grip or Magpul stock and then getting it dipped or cerakoted.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anyone using something new this year?

I picked a few things up over the winter to try out this year. Can't wait to try out the Grounded vest outside of the house and I'm having fun learning to use a trough call for the first time. The new 20ga should be good to go as well, just have to check poa/poi and a quick pattern test.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Last year I bought a marsupial gear chest rig for binos and just ordrered a few extra pouches that attach to it to store calls and whatnot. Other than that not much changing with my setup. Could use a fresh set of dekes but maybe next year...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone using something new this year?

I picked a few things up over the winter to try out this year. Can't wait to try out the Grounded vest outside of the house and I'm having fun learning to use a trough call for the first time. The new 20ga should be good to go as well, just have to check poa/poi and a quick pattern test.

I may have mentioned it earlier, but I bought a red dot sight for my shotgun. Excited to give it a try.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts