Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2012/06/12/sports/doc4fd7770cf2acb883921041.txt#photo1

The article in the above link recently appeared in the Allen Park newspaper recently and is based on a presentation at an NRC meeting in May. The perch replica will be displayed at the Ralph A. MacMullen Center at Higgins Lake North State Park. The DNR will also take it to display at several big outdoor shows around the state each year.

In the event that some of you don't get the opportunity to see it in person, here is a bigger photo of it. The length is 21" but is distorted at both ends by the camera lens being in the center.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No age and no girth was given. Neither one is required for contemporary record entries either.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The last couple that I caught that big, I let go. Partly to help ensure a good fishery in the future, to let him grow up a little more, and also so that people on here wouldn't give me a hard time over keeping a mature spawning fish.

·
Premium Member
29,962 Posts
The last couple that I caught that big, I let go. Partly to help ensure a good fishery in the future, to let him grow up a little more, and also so that people on here wouldn't give me a hard time over keeping a mature spawning fish.
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Pics are nice, i think anyone would of liked to see a perch of that size congrats and next time take pics and post

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
When I went to school at NMU in 1988, lake independence had their ice fishing contest and that board had some of the bigest perch I have ever seen...I think one went 17 inches and plenty of 15-16 inchers...my biggest perch to date is fromthere, a 14.5 incher.

Not sure if gets the fish like that anymore on a consistent basis, like they did when I went there..could be wrong though, have not fished it since.

Short story: While students me and another friend built a 6x6 shanty...and one storming night, by morning had like 8-10inches of snow, drug that thing behind my small truck from Marquette to Big Bay..I think it was 21 miles! 12 pack of beer and a long time later..we reached the lake...we past 1 vehicle that whole time. We still can't believe we did that till this day...ah college!

Another: New to UP fishing, we were killing the walleyes every evening up there on tipups for a week or so(last ice), took my girlfriend(wife now) up there one evening and we caught 5-6 walleyes...came back tothe store there to get stuff...told the clerk and she asked how we did, told her...she looked at us and said, "you know walleye season has been closed for a week now". Oops..I assumed the season closed the same as NLP at the time. Well, it was a damn good week or fishing!!...ahhh college!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When I went to school at NMU in 1988, lake independence had their ice fishing contest and that board had some of the bigest perch I have ever seen...I think one went 17 inches and plenty of 15-16 inchers...my biggest perch to date is fromthere, a 14.5 incher.

Not sure if gets the fish like that anymore on a consistent basis, like they did when I went there..could be wrong though, have not fished it since.

Short story: While students me and another friend built a 6x6 shanty...and one storming night, by morning had like 8-10inches of snow, drug that thing behind my small truck from Marquette to Big Bay..I think it was 21 miles! 12 pack of beer and a long time later..we reached the lake...we past 1 vehicle that whole time. We still can't believe we did that till this day...ah college!

Another: New to UP fishing, we were killing the walleyes every evening up there on tipups for a week or so(last ice), took my girlfriend(wife now) up there one evening and we caught 5-6 walleyes...came back tothe store there to get stuff...told the clerk and she asked how we did, told her...she looked at us and said, "you know walleye season has been closed for a week now". Oops..I assumed the season closed the same as NLP at the time. Well, it was a damn good week or fishing!!...ahhh college!
:lol::lol: Had some green horn buddies do kinda the same a long time ago. They were in a salmon tourney and caught and kept a bunch of lake trout:yikes: Well needless to say the announcer said in front of everyone "just so everyone knows trout season is closed". These guys had a whole cooler full of them!! Said they couldn't believe how good they were biting!!:dizzy::lol:

Funny stuff there B&N

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Pics are nice, i think anyone would of liked to see a perch of that size congrats and next time take pics and post

Nah, I don't need to post a bunch of pics, bragging it up.

On a side note, did you know that "Gullible" is the only word that was accidentally left out of the Webster Dictionary?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting criticized by C&R extremists for keeping any XL game fish is getting more and more common. Some guys have quit posting photos of their catch fot that reason. We really need a thread on the issue because while releasing XL fish might seem to be a common sense thing to do to sustain a fishery, studies clearly show that very large fish are also almost always very old and are not the best spawners. There are many factors that are required for a fish to reach great size and genetics is only one. Big fish may very well have gotten that size without having a big momma!!!

Back to Lake Independence. I just talked at length to the fisheries biologist in charge of the western UP inland lakes. He said the size and numbers of perch are down and have been for up to 15 years. Factors involved are invasive rusty crayfish eating vegetation and eggs, competition from local introduction of panfish, and predation by smallmouth bass, pike, and walleyes. The DNR is planning a large scale(pun intended) survey of the lake this fall. Walleye stocking has been discontinued as a way to reduce predation on perch.(I hope the guys who promote stocking of more and more walleyes on the bay are reading this!!) The perch fishery seems to have rebounded somewhat in the last 2 years but is NOT what it was back before 2000. I hope to get up there again before Labor Day to see for myself. :D

·
Premium Member
29,962 Posts

On a side note, did you know that "Gullible" is the only word that was accidentally left out of the Webster Dictionary?
And a second one....:lol::lol::lol: your on a roll today...RAFLMAO.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Yeah you got me jokes are good keep at them and good fishing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts