Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, what a day/night on the Saginaw. It was beautiful for January 12th. Clear skies, Full Moon, and 48 degrees. Last year at this time, I was ice fishing on 16 inches of the hard stuff, 3 miles out on the Bay. And tonight, Ol' Captain Dan had the hot hand, but also had the fast ice fishing wrist. I hooked and missed 6 walleyes tonight. With one giant next to the boat getting off right when the net hit the water. I attribute this good/BAD luck of mine to fast river currents that had us using massive amounts of line, with the walleyes hitting our shad raps short, and in the weirdest places in the river. Near shear cement ledges, behind Bridge abutments and under floating docks. And my knee jerk reactions setting the hook to fast and hard when they hit, sure didn't help either. And even though I told myself "STOP IT" it seemed that I just could not. But not all was lost. We also hit a nice one just at dark, 15 minutes before I exchanged one bud for another at the ramp for the night shift. I'm guessing 11 pounds or so. I was actually surprised how swollen and developed her eggs were for this time of year.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SNAPPY said:
Nice job Capt! Gettin booked up for river fishin yet?:fish: :sad:

Called all seven client teams waiting for a trip (open water or ice), but nobody could go today/tonight. And I just had to get out.:p

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
While I'm sittin' in the Freightliner working, You're out catching Walleyes :rant: ! Have worked 27 1/2 hrs. the last two days, will have a long day today, plus Saturday and Sunday:help: . Good job on the 'Eyes ! Interested to hear the trolling bite is going, what's the water temp? Remember - feel a bump, count to three and then set the hook:lol: ! Softer action rods, lighter/differant mono ? Good luck and I'll be talking to You. Bob

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chamookman said:
While I'm sittin' in the Freightliner working, You're out catching Walleyes :rant: ! Have worked 27 1/2 hrs. the last two days, will have a long day today, plus Saturday and Sunday:help: . Good job on the 'Eyes ! Interested to hear the trolling bite is going, what's the water temp? Remember - feel a bump, count to three and then set the hook:lol: ! Softer action rods, lighter/differant mono ? Good luck and I'll be talking to You. Bob

I'm afraid your right Bob. I was using my favorite lure pumping rod, My "Berkley 6' Rough Neck" last night. This rod gives the lure that sharp (enticing) stop and go action I want because it is so stiff, and always seems to outfish anybody in the boat with me. Hell, I use this rod for Whippin on the St.Claire, so you know how stiff it is. But for short hitters and my quick reflexes, its not the best choice. I simply have to learn to haul back easier when I get a strike, versus throwing a punch.:lol: And the surface temps varied between 38 and 39 last night. They were 34 back in early December, so its going to be a weird year to plan strategies if it don't straighten around soon.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for inviting your buddy last night Dan,I'll remember that when those big perch start biting......LOL Also a friend of mine put his boat in at Catawba island yesterday and 2 guys caught 43 walleye yesterday and 20 jumbo perch.leaving for simcoe in the morning I'll P.M. you when I get back and let you know how we did.Taking some freash water shrimp with us.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rayed said:
Thanks for inviting your buddy last night Dan,I'll remember that when those big perch start biting......LOL Also a friend of mine put his boat in at Catawba island yesterday and 2 guys caught 43 walleye yesterday and 20 jumbo perch.leaving for simcoe in the morning I'll P.M. you when I get back and let you know how we did.Taking some freash water shrimp with us.
Don't feel to bad Ray. Mark was the buddy in the boat with me last night, and he never had a hit. He did manage to assist in the circumstances that lost me two of the fish I hooked though. I told him at one point, that I'd have been better off with a sand bag holding down the front of the boat. :tdo12: :chillin: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Went out for 3 hours this afternoon in the nasty rain and boated 7 eyes.:D

Would have done better if our freezing hands could feel the hits. :sad:

The rain slowed down about 4 and then the wind picked up.Hate them white caps on a river.So we packed it in and came home.

Good Fishing.
Larry

·
Registered
428 Posts
What is the presentation this time of the year. Thinking about dropping the wife off at her parents in Freeland to visit and trying the river. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EYESON said:
What is the presentation this time of the year. Thinking about dropping the wife off at her parents in Freeland to visit and trying the river. Any help would be appreciated.

Eyeson.

If your fishing the Titt. while your wife visits, quarter casting from shore with a jig (or jig and twister) just heavy enough to just tick bottom as it drifts along, tipped with a shiner is the Motis Operendi. You'll find that river is still pretty high, so try to find places out of the main current in slack water areas.

If in a boat on the saginaw. Slipping the current is best. That is using your electric to keep equal pace with the river current so your jig stays straight down and on bottom next to the boat as you drift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts