Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 1 full year of clearing trees, pulling stumps,plowing and discing,I have finally got to put in the IWC seed and this is what it looks like now. Just waiting for the rains to come! :D

------------------
"the finding and killing of the game is after all but part of the whole. The free,self-reliant,adventurous life,with its rugged and stalwart democracy;the wild surroundings,the grand beauty of the scenery,the chance to study the ways and habits of the woodland creatures-all these unite to give to...the hunter...peculiar charm.The chase is among the best of all national pastimes;it culivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation,as in an individual,the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone."...Theodore Roosevelt

·
Administrator
35,858 Posts
Wow that will be quite the picture when the clover comes in. Please send us some update pictures when you can. Looks like lots of nice trees for treestands too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,I will take some pictures when the clover comes in and keep you all updated. The clover should do very good the soil test came back with a PH of 7.3 and Calcium of 7582 lbs. a acre!!! The soil has a C.E.C. of 23.2, very compacted. There is also a flowing spring about 20 yards from the plot.If this spot works really great I will expand it some more.Will have to see if it gets over browsed.
If you look in the center of the photos you will see one of my tree stands with the climbing stick atached to the side of a tree.Hope to have some clover by the end of October :D...SnS

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I planted part of an old road about 30x120 w/ No-Plow. After 3 applications of Round-Up I put the seed down about 10 days ago. I was up this weekend and it's already sprouted. I was very surprised to see a million little clovers growing. This was with no soil prep, no tools just using a hand spreader on the ground. I limed it and fertilized this weekend and after the Monsoon that came thru yesterday I can't wait to see it in 2 weeks.

[This message has been edited by The Nailer (edited 09-11-2000).]

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Hey, pictures look great! Wow I am amazed that you have a 7.3 ph in the woods. You must of limed it. I have grown Imperial clover (ladino) and have had great results. As long as the soil sample is good and you are in a spot that isn't to high and dry. I always roll over the plot with a lawn roller before and after I broadcast, to get a firm seed bed.
I planted another plot this fall. I dragged in Field RYE, then planted Ladino. The rye grows fast and was 3 inches tall in 7 days. It will provide green browse this fall. The clover is a little slower and will be ready next season. The rye will mature next July and I will cut it and let the clover come up.

I would not recomend hunting over the stand, you will probably have them spooked off your plot fast. Better hunting runways leading toward the plot. Good Job
Good Luck

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bishs,Thanks for the advice, I might have to move the tree stand,good advice! I never limed this area, just scooped up some soil in about 5 different spots and took it in for the test, and all they told me that it needed was a little Boron (about 5 lbs.) and just Potash and the PH was excellent for giant white clover.They were very surprised also, at first, before the test they told me I would need lime.
I applied the Boron this last spring along with some Potash,but it kept staying to wet to get the tractor in there and work it so I could sow the seed.
I was just able to get back in to work in the last 2 weeks and I kept working it with the disc every other day for about a week. Then Friday I spread some more Potash and worked that into the soil with the disc and then hooked up my 7 1/2 ft. cultipacker and kept working that over it until it was hard like blacktop.Then I sowed the seed with the spreader and ran over that with the cultipacker again.
The plot is right next to a large swamp and the soil is very dark and holds a lot of moisture and peat, that might be why the PH is like it is. Are soils in the woods usually acidy? ..Tony

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
StrutnSpur, Your plot looks great did you have to cut a lot of trees? It looks like you put a ton of work into it. That's going to look real pretty when the leaves start turning this fall.

I think you got lucky w/ the ph, I think most places where there are a lot of leaves on the ground it tends to be acidic or at least that's what I've been told. I hope you got the rain we did this past weekend, that would help a bunch. Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by The Nailer (edited 09-11-2000).]

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Nice work, no doubt that took some hard work, and I'm sure it will pay off. I like the advise bishs gave, the stand location right now has no back drop (your sky lined). Move down wind of the food plot a little and find your self some cover. I don't suppose that there's any turkeys in the area that will use that field either. Good Luck...

Dennis

[This message has been edited by mechanical head (edited 09-11-2000).]

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Typically wooded land has a high acidity. Oak leaves and decaying pine needles create this type of soil.

If for some reason your clover looks a little sparse this fall you can frost seed. Broadcast the seed in March onto the frozen ground. The freezing and thawing of the soil will settle the seed into the soil. This is a good way to plant wet areas. Also helps if you have a cover crop of rye or wheat to help attach the seed to the soil.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got back from looking at the plot and I already have growth coming up. :D They are little 1/8" to 1/4" tall primary leaves,but they could be the Jumpstart in the IWC.I also put a 2' diameter by 2' tall wire cage in the plot to see how much it will be browsed.We got 1.62 inches of rain here since Sunday.
I did have to remove a lot of trees mostly dead Elm and some live Elm,figured they would die anyway,also alot of wild grape vines. I kept all the Burr Oak, Maple and Ash.
I had 3 big brush piles to burn in the opening plus one large stump about 3' to 4' in diameter,but it was pretty rotten from being cut a long,long time ago.
I wish I had taken a picture of the area before I started work on it,but if you look at the first picture that I have posted and look at the background,this is what it looked like before I started.That is the reason the treestand is still there,because I left it there, and when I put it up, there was a ton of cover, and grape vines every where.
Is this the Jumpstart coming in now or is it the Ladino clover starting already too?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Did you take your soil samples before or after burning brush? If it was after that may be part of the reason you had such a good ph level.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great!!! You plot looks like a highly likely spot for a quality habitat food plot. Lime is the key to the forages such as Imperial Whitetail Clover and Imperial Whitetail Alfa-Rack alfalfa. We now carry a liquid lime and a liquid organic fertilizer that will make the more remote food plot locations more accessable for soil improvement. Our organic fertilizer has no impact on environment and no run off from rain... granulated fertilizers may have in excess of 80% run off into the water table/ground water. This may be used on lawns also.

------------------
http://www.deerclover.com

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nailer,I burned the brush about this time last fall, then I plowed it under and then disced it.I then waited until the middle of March to take the sample and I took most of the samples away from the burning area,but may have got 1 sample out of 5 that was close to that area.Hope that didn't make the soil test results inaccurate.
I will have to see how it comes up,might not hurt to put some lime on it anyway though.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I would not add any more lime, your Ph is high, even if it was because of the burning. My brother had a garden with a 5.5 Ph, he added too much lime and now he has a 8.2 Ph! he can't grow anything!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts