Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it took me till yesterday, but I found em'. I kept going back to where I THOUGHT I found em last year......27.5' of water, but, the lake is obviously 2' low. I found them in 25.5' of water at 12-15' down. I believe it was actually the same place as last year, but, with no GPS.....going by water depth and land marks, who knows. Best bait was a small, white Mr. Twister, 1/16th? yellow jig head, tipped with dead minnow. The smallest out of the 10 I kept was 10.5". This tells me that I definately need a GPS.
Thanks to all for the tips!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
You forgot to tell us where :) Nice job. I'm waiting for someone to find that elusive 14'' or bigger this year. Crappie bite has been hot since this little warm up started. Interesting baits you used. They are on the feed bigtime (sunday morning they were crushing the minnows as hard as ive ever seen) ....but I still have troubles getting them on anything other than glow/minnow jigs. What was your best time for catching them? I fished 4-8AM the other day and it was feedbag time for the crappie!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hit them from dusk till about 7:30. I couldn't keep up with 2 poles they were hitiing so quick. They were still down there when I left at 8, but, they must have been full.
I'm going to save the 15" in hopes of a couple more for some nice mounts.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
Just remember those fish that are suspended like that are not relating to anything(most of the time) they are feeding on something and when the food moves, the fish move. These fish are alot of times the largest fish in the system, but can be difficult to stay on them. Ever since the thick ice and deep snow most of my good bites are very similar to what your talking about. Yesterday I caught some gill's and crappies 6ft. down over 20FOW very agressive and fun to catch, but hard to stay on.:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm REAL interrested to find out for sure, via GPS, if this is the same location they were at last year. There apparently in no structure here, which makes me wonder what the draw is? Is it temp., O2 level, food, a combo of all the above? I'm gonna try hitting it again tonight to see if they're there again.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Scoopy, sometimes when the fish under your hole seem to stop biting,....just move 40 yards and you can find new crappie that you haven't fished for yet.....I did that last week and it extended the night bite for another hour or two. Suspended fish are moving fish - to steal words from East bay Ed.

They are being drawn to baitfish, plankton, or blood worms that are coming from the soft mucky bottom. Its not unusual to find crappie with no structure around at all....where I fish them often, there is nothing, I mean nothing at all down there but muck and a slow, featureless drop off.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
It's food just like ScottyHoover said, He's exactly right you dont have to move far to get on them again, or different ones. these fish are always on the move the bait moves the fish move.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I confirmed (GPS) last night that it is the same spot, within a few feet, that I hit them last year........but, after Sunday nights action, I seemed to have attracted a few others......along with a few dogs. We started hitting them at dusk again, and two others showed up, drilled some holes 20' away. We caught a few more, then, the lights went out. They will usually go hot and heavy for a good 1 hr, but it only lasted about 15 min or so. Don't know if the late drillin chased them off or not? Don't get me wrong, I like to share the wealth, but it was a little irritating having the dogs falling in the holes and tangling in the lines.
The other guys did just what you said to do, they moved 20 yds away, hit a few more, moved again, and so on. All seemed to be nice fish. Biggest was a 14" last night. Didn't keep any myself, as I kept 10 from Sunday....can only eat so many.
I won't be able to get out for a few more days. Just hope there isn't a city out there now?
Gotta get me a GPS, I know that for sure. Makes it much easier to re-locate fish.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Scoopy, your story sounds all too familiar to me. Actually the same exact thing has happened to me this year, I found a different lake :) It's weird how that happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts