Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
I would like to say sorry that I didn't put up a report last week. I was on vacation last week. I had to do a little a fishing with maybe the nicest fishing lure I have ever bought.

PS thats not my hand. :lol:

Walleye:
Lake: The main lake continues to give up good catches of walleye. Most guys have moved out into the the deeper fairly weed free areas.The guys doing well have been generally been catching the fish in the mid to upper part of the water column on inline weights and harness. Popular colors have been Screw you, Purples, Copper Confusion, and other coppers, Golds and Blades with Blues on them such as Erie-Descent, CJ Speical, Rainbow Trout.

The most popular area I keep hearing is out on the shipping channel from fire cracker to the St. Clair Light with can's 25 thur 28 being the hottest areas.

River: The Middle and South Channels are still giving of up good numbers. Bottom Bouncers have been the prefer met hind for most with harness in gold or Copper colors on the business end. Those are are still jigging have been doing well in the South Channel and also up river from the State Park to Marine City I have also gotten reports from Port Huron also of guys doing well everyday jigging. Purple, Anti-Freeze, and jigs with white somewhere on them are what most people are using it sounds like.The guys that have been coming into the shop have also been stocking up on darker natural minnow colors in the plastics both Fin-S and Candy Plastics. Down sizing the over all look as been the ticket most days.

The North channel should be going soon if it hasn't started by now. I know every year near the Sturgeon Opener (july 16th) Walleye seem to be in that area pretty good cause we catch a limit some nights while targeting the Sturgeon.

Perch: Reports of large perch being the bi-catch of the guys trolling along the shipping channel leads me to believe there is still plenty of perch to be had along the ditch. Look on your graph for Pods of fish at or near the bottom. Throw a marker buoy our and then go over the area again and try to pinpoint the pod before anchoring. Drop anchor up wind and let the boat slide back over top of them.Fish vertical perch rigs or drop-shot rigs with at least one hook close to the bottom.

There is some reports still coming of guys doing well on perch in 4 to 10 feet of water. You are having to work for them while fishing the weed beds but once a nice group is found 20 to 30 nice fish can be taken home. Slip-bobbers are the weapon of choice here.

Gills and Sunnies: Anglers have been able to locate nice groups of them as of late in the 4 to 10 foot range, Waxwroms, Baby Crawlers and sometimes even small shiners have been the bait of choice for many.Another great tactic is to fish Foam Spiders behind a casting bubble. Try this in the early morning hours before the wind picks up this can be a very affective way to pull the really big gills out of the shallows that are to hard to fish with a bobber.

Muskie:I have gotten word of lots of double digit numbers of fish being boated.I even heard a rumor of a 55 inch fish but I have yet to see a picture of the fish so it may just be a rumor.

Catfish:Now with the recent rains the catfish should be making the runs up in the creeks and moving backwaters to feed. Salt river, Milk Creek, Black Creek, and the Spillway should have some cats in them now. Try fishing bottom rigs with Cut bait, Chicken Liver, or Night Crawlers.

I would also like to remind all you vets and current service men and women that Sportsmen's Direct offers a 10% discount to all of you guys everyday. Thanks for your service to this country and its people.

We also now have Minnow Chillers, they keep your minnows cool on those hot summer days. They are only 50 cents each.

Also our local Sturgeon for Tomorrow chapter will be giving a free seminar at the shop July 12th at 6:30 PM. They will be talking about the sturgeon population and how to go about catching them.This is a great group of guys that I have had the pleasure of fishing with a few times so come on out and join us.

·
Administrator
17,550 Posts
Thanks for the report!

Picked up two huge muskie in Algonac on a brown fluke and CLOWN-colored jig Tuesday before the storm sent me running for cover.

Yesterday, I had schools of NICE perch following my tube bait to the boat in the weeds between Goulette Point and Salt River. 6-8 feet of water.
<----<<<

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey thanks for the good report as always river rat... Can you or any one else tell me how early and late the dnr launch at crocker is open thanks guys

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the good report as always river rat... Can you or any one else tell me how early and late the dnr launch at crocker is open thanks guys

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I have yet to see them close the gate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts