Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
High Fence operation. I believe from a high fenced operation they would be invalid entries from either of those books. SCI would accept it though, they don't mind canned hunts.:lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
All deer are from the native MI herd

From the Sanctuary website:
Unlike other ranches, the Sanctuary has never bought or sold deer and does not utilize breed pens. Our incredible harvest records are the result of almost three decades of intensive management of a native Michigan deer herd. All deer are born and spend their entire life in wild environment. Renowned biologist and outdoor writer Larry Weishuhn said that these were some of the smartest and most elusive bucks he has ever hunted.
Thought that was kinda cool. Still a high-fence hunt though.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yep, you are shooting them in a pen and no they are not recognized by B&C. I'm sure SCI would take you in though LOL.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
SCI will list animals taken from a ranch operation, but are listed in a separate category than animals taken under Fair chase.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
we were up near reemus and drove around till we found it...very impressive gate at the driveway entrance

mikie

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just don't get paying $thousands for a whitetail? I love to hunt and love big deer but come on shooting in a captive herd and being proud of it??? I guess I'm not cut from the same cloth...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
But Larry "Highfence" Weishuhn said they were smart and elusive! :lol:
I cant believe that guy calls himself a hunter.

I just don't get paying $thousands for a whitetail? I love to hunt and love big deer but come on shooting in a captive herd and being proud of it??? I guess I'm not cut from the same cloth...

I dont get it either. I just saw an ad in woods and water for deer hunts with the starting price at $200 per point!!!. I grew up 2 miles from the sanctuary... We used to drive by and see giants right next to the fence just watching you go by. They werent afraid one bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is this "sanctuary" you speak of in Stanwood? My buddy and I found a place there (Stanwood) about twenty years ago, they had the biggest deer I've ever seen! I'm talkin 200" plus, and at times there would be hundreds of deer in the feilds at one time( it was like nothing I had ever seen before). I dont know if they were "tame", but they had no problems with us glassing em from the truck. A few years after we discovered it, it seemed like a lot of the deer vanished! I mean you could still drive by and see some big bucks out in the field, but nothing like before. They also had some elk, not a lot, but some big a-- bulls. I'm wonderin if this is the same place. I cant remember the name of the road it was on, but I'm sure it was in stanwood. Sorry, I know this was "off the point" but, it just got thinkin.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yes it's right by stanwood and on the gate is an oversized muzzleloader like 10 feet long...........real high fence with fabric blocking your view of certain fields and open areas..........heck why not just pay for a big mount while you're in Aruba then comeback and photoshop your face by it..........hahah---------jon

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are a few of these high fence ranches in that area, the Sanctuary (gate) is on M-20 between Mecosta and Big Rapids. There is another one on 12 mile road closer to Stanwood. Funny thing happened about 10 or 15 years ago at the Sanctuary. A day or two before rifle season, high winds blew a large tree down on the fence and some of the bucks escaped. They ran a story on 9&10 news with mug shots of a couple of these giant bucks asking local hunters not to shoot them but to report there whereabouts. I always thought that was kind of funny.
My grandparents have a cabin near there so I've spent a lot of time in that area.
I too could never understand why someone would pay that kind of money to hunt at a place like that.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I cant believe that guy calls himself a hunter.

I dont get it either. I just saw an ad in woods and water for deer hunts with the starting price at $200 per point!!!. I grew up 2 miles from the sanctuary... We used to drive by and see giants right next to the fence just watching you go by. They werent afraid one bit.
I see deer standing at the road all the time, just watching me go by...Deer are not always intimidated by headlights.

They do have some monsters in there thats for sure. I have seen some monster turkeys walking around the sandy trail around the property as well. Just look at what management does, reguardless of it being high fence

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I used to hunt a bordering property and if you want to see something funny, take some rattling antlers up to the fence in late october and smack them together and within 1 minute buck will flock to the fence, often starting another fight in the process! They are wild deer for sure but there are so many and the ratio is right that it would be loike shooting a fish in a barrel!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
No, this place wasnt on M20. It was a little ways south.
Could be Itchiban on 5 mile. They've had deer, elk, buffalo etc. There was another Elk place on 7 or 8 mile but they have not been in commercial operation for 10-15 years now. Plus there is Cards Draw just south of M-20 and downtown Mecosta and north of 9 mile. You can see the fence from 9 mile and M-20. Roger Card owns this high fence operation.

The deer in the Sanctuary are certainly wild in a sense....these are not penned raised and released to be hunted in a larger enclosure, they are born and bred as wild as a captive herd can be I guess. I have not hunted deer there, but I have fished it and tukery hunted etc. Those deer get down wind of you and they are gone, just like any deer in Michigan. It's still a high fence operation, and the odds are heavily in your favor but it's a pretty cool place regardless. I have no desire to pay that kind of money to deer hunt there though

1 - 20 of 38 Posts