Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being a rookie.. i was just wondering what you guys think..
estimates on when we'll be able to get out on the river (5+" of good ice) with the 'predicted' weather we're having?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Nice map southend. One of the best first and last ice spots that isn't on the map is the boat turn around on first st. just off Washington in Sag. Little or no current and still plenty deep. As always with the river be extra careful and good fishin!

·
Registered
70 Posts
is also suppose to start sometime soon and continue into the winter from wherever it is in Saginaw to the dumping site down by the Saginaw/Bay county line.

·
Registered
11,979 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
There is more current at first street than you may think..travel too far into the channel and it could be very dangerous...the cove at first street does produce but it is also full of sheephead.have patience the time will come

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that map should be sticky on here and the warm water forums
and i hear ya about it can be 5" somewhere and 1" somewhere else..
rule #1 ALWAYS CARRY A SPUD ON THAT RIVER

i'll probably be fishing this year mostly near the z-bridge, near vets, or near the river mouth.
but it all depends on the ice..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
nice map thanks :)

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
that map should be sticky on here and the warm water forums
and i hear ya about it can be 5" somewhere and 1" somewhere else..
rule #1 ALWAYS CARRY A SPUD ON THAT RIVER

i'll probably be fishing this year mostly near the z-bridge, near vets, or near the river mouth.
but it all depends on the ice..
I'll drop you a pm about fishing near B&G in B.C., Its narrow and faster current, will be a little later on freezing.

Nice map S.E. will probobly see ya off Cass sometime before too long.:D

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
can't wait to hit Cass and B&G club, but your right there is a crazy current down by the B&G club. I have to do alittle more work on the map but it is a nice start.

BY the WAY a freighter went through this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Eyewacka; We killed em on last ice a few years ago with the current rippen through open water all the way across the river. Still a solid 5" of ice in the turn around. Like I said earlier with the river ice, always be extra careful. Good fishin!

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can't wait to hit Cass and B&G club, but your right there is a crazy current down by the B&G club. I have to do alittle more work on the map but it is a nice start.

BY the WAY a freighter went through this afternoon.
you know the other side of the B&G club, it's a lot shallower and less current.. i wonder if you hit the shallower side of that island at night you might get a few...
but i'm just a noob
what do you think?

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
I've never had luck anywhere on that river at night through the ice. Used to try it every now and then when I worked 2nd shift and got out at midnight. Don't seem like the eyes bite at night through the ice or I just have had terrible luck. It isn't like the other times of year for some reason.:confused:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I agree Ralph. I've stayed as long as three hours after dark and have never done well.:confused:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I agree with all three of you. The bite does shut off. You'll have some lookers, but they just won't hit.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts