Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gong up last weekend of August through first week of September. Going to fish the state rec area. Terrestrials and bwo's I think. Pm me if you know if its better up by the headwaters or down near sage lake road. How about feeder creeks? Water temps OK this time of year upstream?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just fished the rifle both on the way to oscoda and on the way home this weekend. The water temp was about 62 at the shoreline. Fished northwest of Omer and at a canoe launch point (off maple ridge rd). Caught some chubs between my brother and I, no trout. We were fishing with hoppers, BWOs and Adams patterns. There were a ton of chubs rising all around us today around 2pm-ish. Saw a bunch of little silver streaks on the surface. I was hoping some of them were rainbows, but we never caught any. On friday, I saw what looked like white mayflies floating by. I didn't inspect closer since I knew I didn't have anything that would match it.

We were fishing much further downstream, but hopefully it has some nice trout in it for you up there. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the same upstream. Lots of little dinks rising during the day. I am getting bites but haven't hooked up. Those are white flies at night. Talked to a guy who yakked an unmentionable at night and had a couple of big battles while mousing

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
I used to fish the rifle and I used to catch big browns and bows all summer long. If you want the big ones use a steelhead float and a salmon egg hook with a small crayfish or live minnow. I fished different places between M-55 and Skidway Lake Road. I also caught some nice size pike and smallmouth doing this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts