Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading hundreds of various posts regarding the baiting ban....I see that a lot of pro-baiting members rationalize baiting because it will put people out of business, hurt farmers and other industries. However, I have not seen anyone admit they fear not getting a deer because of there skills are not up to par or they just don't have the time to really scout and learn. I hunted over bait for years, I enjoyed it too. My main reason was so I could have easier success, due to not having the time to hunt as much I needed too. I admit it. Will I miss baiting? Sure I will.... I will just have to re-prioritize and manage time better to get out in the woods. Many others will too.

I believe that this is a big concern for many....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I agree with ya, I also think IMO that "change" is a big fear, in general men arent too big on change IMO. With no bait going on some folks arent gonna not know what to do if they follow the law. This is a pretty drastic change for people who dont own land dont have time and so on and have banked on baiting to help get deer into range for many years.

Good luck this year!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I have seen many State about everyone else, and not about the effect it has on themself. This will change our way of hunting, we will see our numbers drop. Even the guys that did not bait on public land will be effected. all deer movement change in the fall when the bait would hit the ground.
I see the need to lower our deer herd and I will state that with this cwd and no baiting, I do not see that be possable. It a risk the dnr is taking and I believe it will cost us more in the end.
At this time we need to do all we can to help out the state and our fellow hunter. Together we can overcome this.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I see the need to lower our deer herd and I will state that with this cwd and no baiting, I do not see that be possable.
It's very possible if we shoot the right deer. Hard to decrease the population much when 80% of the harvest are bucks. If a much larger percentage of does are killed every year then the heard will still decrease even if the total harvest numbers drop. We can blame the DNR all we want but the hunters are the ones choosing what they kill.

·
Administrator
17,779 Posts
The most ominous fear factor in the equation shouldn't be about the inability to use bait. If they find one case in the 300 deer tested, the plan that has been enacted (No baiting, test 300 deer...etc.) calls for an attempt at eradicating the deer herd for 79 square miles around any positive found. They will test every 1.5 year old deer or older that is eradicated and continue to draw 5 mile radius circles until all tests are negative. They will kill the deer on your property by whatever means are deemed most effective. The eradication will continue until every last deer tests killed in each tangent (5 mile radius) zone tests negative.
Baiting.... who cares!
Cross your fingers that we do not have CWD in any wild population!
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
It's very possible if we shoot the right deer. Hard to decrease the population much when 80% of the harvest are bucks. If a much larger percentage of does are killed every year then the heard will still decrease even if the total harvest numbers drop. We can blame the DNR all we want but the hunters are the ones choosing what they kill.
That is the truth the dnr is not at full blame. We as a state have been the worst thing to the sport. We have allways given great credit to the guy that has a buck in the bed, and just a shrug of the shoulder for a doe. With the pass and present issuing of doe permit we keep this up. If we wanted true control of population a deer tag would be for a doe and permit system would be for bucks. Now we are going to take out newer hunter that bait is the most effective for them and have been the best at taking does. How many tags will go unfilled this year alone?
What is needed is an open season on doe and to be open untill the quote is reached.

64 Posts
I have used bait in the past because I owned a smaller piece of property that didn't warrant any real reason for deer to frequent it. It was a small strip along the freeway with no real feeding or bedding opportunities for deer. I worked a lot and usually made it home to only manage to get in my stand for an hour before dark. Bait afforded me the luxury of at least offering the deer a reason to travel onto my small parcel. Others also have small parcels or lack of opportunities to hunt much unless they take a nice drive. With the cost of gas, that makes it a little tougher. Sure, I could have just waited for the weekend to come and go hunt some state land, but I enjoy getting out as much as possible and it's always entertaining to see deer, even if it wasn't the quality of deer I was hoping to shoot. The first three years I lived there, I didn't bait and probably saw less than 10 deer total on stand while going out around 30 days each season. I started baiting a little with a feeder and ended up taking 1 decent buck and a few does off from the property in the next 4 years.

Were my skills in question? I guess you could try to say I didn't scout that tiny parcel enough. But heck, I could see most of it from my treestand while I was up there :lol: I tried everything including cover scents, mock scrapes, doe pee, deer calls, staying out of the woods well before season got going, not hunting a particular stand too often, etc... But you see, I'd had success prior to that on another property I first started hunting on, but the owner died and we lost the privelage to hunt it any longer. I'd asked people around me, but most were Amish and hunted heavily themselves. Most of the public parcels weren't very close. I managed with what I had. Bait was my best option. Since, I've moved and bought a property where baiting isn't necessary. I've seen many of the bucks around here right out my livingroom window. I see deer every time I enter the woods. Some don't have that opportunity though.

Lets face it, sure everybody wants a deer. Isn't that why many of us hunt? I love the outdoors in general and try to get out there as often as I can. Part of my enjoyment in hunting is just sitting there and relaxing as much as possible. But if I was simply out there to enjoy nature, I wouldn't bother with cover scents, camo or sitting on that narrow seat in my tree stand.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
After reading hundreds of various posts regarding the baiting ban....I see that a lot of pro-baiting members rationalize baiting because it will put people out of business, hurt farmers and other industries. However, I have not seen anyone admit they fear not getting a deer because of there skills are not up to par or they just don't have the time to really scout and learn. I hunted over bait for years, I enjoyed it too. My main reason was so I could have easier success, due to not having the time to hunt as much I needed too. I admit it. Will I miss baiting? Sure I will.... I will just have to re-prioritize and manage time better to get out in the woods. Many others will too.

I believe that this is a big concern for many....
now you will be deer hunting instead of the deer hunting you(bait pile)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am all for no baiting ever anyhwere for deer. Bait pile screw up the natural patterns of our deer. Easier for the 3 day a year hunter to shoot a spike horn, harder for the rest of us to pattern the big boys all year long. I don't necessarily agree for the reasoning behind this ban, but that is irrelevant to me. I am also betting that this will cause enough of a stir that the ban will be lifted before the youth hunt starts.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Change is tough. I've hunted bait piles. Not ashamed to say it. Taken a couple of nice bucks watching the does on em.

I also live in the UP, unaffected by the changes, but wouldn't be against the DNR to make that change up here. In fact, I'm a little surprised with the outbreak issues in WI that it hasn't ranged into this area too....

But the thing that makes this scary is not the actual fact that this is it. It's the change that makes it scary. Unexpected change. Change as with any situation is exactly that. Difficult? You bet. There's a reason there's that stupid saying about he ole dogs. If you've used it as a tool. Then it's huge.

Tactics change. Places you've hunted may have to change. Probably in fact.

But I'll tell you that if you put in your time and find their natural food sources....that will lead you to better hunting anyways. You'll see natural movement. You won't have them spook and pattern you as you get out of your blinds every night or entry in the morning.

All in all, IMO might as well go the whole state. Flat out, we'll be talking about this at camp this year in the UP. Of course with contrasting theories as you guys and gals go through it in the LP.

Even if this was only a caged event. The plan was put into place. Holy cow, the DNR had a plan for something. And that plan was implemented. I wish that progression in other areas would go just as fast.........

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I think the baiting issue is a sensative topic. Personally, I don't bait. I could also care less if other hunters bait as long as it's regulated to some degree. What concerns me is how divisive this issue is. Baiting is a controversial issue for whitetails, but an accepted practice for bears. Other than hound hunting, which is also controversial, there aren't many successful bear hunting methods. Taking this step further and banning bear baiting could eliminate a very successful bear management strategy, leaving the biologists and the general public with a difficult management situation.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
:hide:
I have seen many State about everyone else, and not about the effect it has on themself. This will change our way of hunting, we will see our numbers drop. Even the guys that did not bait on public land will be effected. all deer movement change in the fall when the bait would hit the ground.
I see the need to lower our deer herd and I will state that with this cwd and no baiting, I do not see that be possable. It a risk the dnr is taking and I believe it will cost us more in the end.
At this time we need to do all we can to help out the state and our fellow hunter. Together we can overcome this.

we could always make unlimited doe tags and go to a one buck rule :hide:

lol:evilsmile

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am all for no baiting ever anyhwere for deer. Bait pile screw up the natural patterns of our deer. Easier for the 3 day a year hunter to shoot a spike horn, harder for the rest of us to pattern the big boys all year long. I don't necessarily agree for the reasoning behind this ban, but that is irrelevant to me. I am also betting that this will cause enough of a stir that the ban will be lifted before the youth hunt starts.
For sure you wouldnt use food plots then. :lol:

·
Registered
7,479 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If Michigan has a good acorn crop and I know that the deer will be huddled around the big white oak in my backyard would I be poaching if I put a stand in that tree? Would that be considered baiting? What about the farmers who leave strips of corn standing for the sole purpose of hunting them? Is that baiting to?

I am 100% certain that this baiting ban will not effect me and my ability to harvest a deer. Nor will it interfere with my style of hunting. I do however feel a great sympathy for those whose hunting style was stripped from them without a vote or without a chance to fight for their beliefs!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
MuskyDan:
Thanks for the thoughts. I hunt the UP, so baiting for me is still ok for now. I live in SE Michigan. Due to family obligations, work schedule and gas prices, I cannot spend as much time in the UP as I would like. I'd live up there if I could, but I need my job downstate. The family hunting camp (since 1936) is a six hour drive.

Thorough scouting is all well and good-I really wish I could do more of it. I usually hunt over or near bait. Does this make me less of a 'sportsman' and less of a 'real' hunter? Probably, but hunting over bait is the only way I see deer. The truth is I spend less time in our woods than the poachers and theives that hunt our land without permission and steal our equipment. I don't like to admit that I have only seen one six-point buck on our property in the last ten years. I passed on the shot. I'm sure many more have been poached over that time. Local law enforcement simply does not care.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I always get a kick out of these bait/no bait debates. The same people that say that baiting is unsportsmanlike or unnatural are the same people using estrus scents and hunting oaks or food plots. I've used bait afew times to lure deer to a "pre determined" location much the same way people use funnels, oaks, food plots, water sources, and everything else available. Does it make you less of a hunter to change a deer's travel routes? I'd argue that it could actually make you a BETTER hunter if you are able to change a deers behavior. Food plots do the same thing. It always boils down to the egotistical feelings of a few people that think their way of hunting is the only way.

All that aside, right now we are possibly facing a crisis that needs to be addressed in a proper manner. Is outlawing baiting the solution? I personally doubt that what happens in the NELP will have any effect on what's currently going on in the SWLP and that if there is indeed any benefits to removing CWD through non baiting that it should be in the specific area of concern. I would propose a 100 mile radius from the point of where the CWD was found IF there was ample proof that baiting indeed promoted CWD. I'm still unconvinced that a bait pile is any more conducive to CWD than a crop field, food plot, or bedding area. But that is merely my opinion.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
The most ominous fear factor in the equation shouldn't be about the inability to use bait. If they find one case in the 300 deer tested, the plan that has been enacted (No baiting, test 300 deer...etc.) calls for an attempt at eradicating the deer herd for 79 square miles around any positive found. They will test every 1.5 year old deer or older that is eradicated and continue to draw 5 mile radius circles until all tests are negative. They will kill the deer on your property by whatever means are deemed most effective. The eradication will continue until every last deer tests killed in each tangent (5 mile radius) zone tests negative.
Baiting.... who cares!
Cross your fingers that we do not have CWD in any wild population!
<----<<<

Joe.....cloese but not quite.
Read the Contingency Plan again.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Those of us with family and employement obligations that don't allow countless hours in the field are no less "hunters" than those who thumb their noses at baiting. I have probably killed more deer in my life than most, both over bait and still hunting. I for one have never felt that any deer, doe or buck was any more or less for the method. We need to stand together as hunters on these issues. This kind of garbage is exactly what the anti's are waiting for. I will not put out any bait this year and will hope that my food plots will provide opportunity for my family and myself. It will be interesting to see how this affects the number of licenses sold in the state.

I always get a kick out of these bait/no bait debates. The same people that say that baiting is unsportsmanlike or unnatural are the same people using estrus scents and hunting oaks or food plots. I've used bait afew times to lure deer to a "pre determined" location much the same way people use funnels, oaks, food plots, water sources, and everything else available. Does it make you less of a hunter to change a deer's travel routes? I'd argue that it could actually make you a BETTER hunter if you are able to change a deers behavior. Food plots do the same thing. It always boils down to the egotistical feelings of a few people that think their way of hunting is the only way.

All that aside, right now we are possibly facing a crisis that needs to be addressed in a proper manner. Is outlawing baiting the solution? I personally doubt that what happens in the NELP will have any effect on what's currently going on in the SWLP and that if there is indeed any benefits to removing CWD through non baiting that it should be in the specific area of concern. I would propose a 100 mile radius from the point of where the CWD was found IF there was ample proof that baiting indeed promoted CWD. I'm still unconvinced that a bait pile is any more conducive to CWD than a crop field, food plot, or bedding area. But that is merely my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts