Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if I am a bit niave here, but I don't really shoot much...

I have my grandfather's old JC Higgins pump 12 guage. It won't pump a shell into the chamber without using the release. The shells eject fine, but just won't load into the chamber without the release. Could the problem be that I am using the cheaper "chort brass" shells or does this gun just need to be taken apart and cleaned really good. I've always cleaned it after every shoot, but I have never taken it apart. Could there be debri causing this problem?

Any help would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
A few years back I had a Mossburg 12 ga. that you had to depress the button on to chamber the round, .. every round. I have given it to my step-son to shoot with. I found it to be a little aggavating for a second follow up shot.

I think that they incorporated it as a saftey feature of sorts,... sounds as if your JC Higgins has the same feature.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Most likely, your gun needs a new part. I agree with Sawcat...have a gunsmith give it a good once over.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Sorry, but I'm currently in the market for a new 'smith myself.....I've been disappointed in the last couple of jobs I've had done by my 'regular' smith.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts