·
Premium Member
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! Volume on.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Did I hear that right,mach 6.7? Sheesh that is almost 4500 MPH, that can't be right can it?

Reactions: on a call

·
Premium Member
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I hear that right,mach 6.7? Sheesh that is almost 4500 MPH, that can't be right can it?
Correct. 1967 no less.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Man, and I thought the SR71 Blackhawk was fast at a little over mach 3.

Reactions: on a call

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I saw an SR-71 at EAA Oshkosh back in the 80's. It isn't a very nimble aircraft and couldn't go supersonic in a residential area. Basically just flew back & forth a few times. Neat to see but...

On its final pass it pulled straight up and climbed out of visibility on a crystal clear day, very cool to see. About 45 minutes later they announced on the PA system that it had just landed in California!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Here is something for you to think about. On one of those 199 flights they broke the windshield. I do not know which flight but they landed the plane with a broken windshield.

It is funny I was talking to a relative about that flight within the week.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
I think you'll find that the SR-71 holds the record for fastest flight around the entire planet, while the XR-15 holds the speed record for fastest flight even though it was nowhere near all the way around the earth.

Technically, the XR-15 also wasn't an actual plane as it required a different aircraft (B-52) to get off the ground. It was basically just an air launched human guided missile with small stubby stabilizing wings/fins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts