Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy joe took this nice 10pt the last evening of our last hunt. We decided to skip the morning hunt Tuesday and brake camp as bad weather was supposed to be rolling in. After getting camp shut down, the weather still hadn't turned and looked like it wouldnt untill well into the early morning wednesday so we decided to do the evening hunt and head out right after.

Doe's were the story of the week, i was seeing anywhere from six to nine a day. They only gave out 800 tags for dmu66 on private land and all of us got in line too late too get one. This was the only buck seen between 4 men from the 15th till now. I heard the shot at 4:00, heard the quad fire up about 4:30. Said the deer was hot on a doe's behind. Needless to say we ended up staying the night and having a hell of a ride home Wednesday. 14hrs From Ontongan, a new record (long) for me. With the holiday weekend and being back to work i havent talked to Joe to see if he has got the specs on it yet. He has the better pictures also, but hasnt sent them. This spot was the one i Hunted the first couple years untill i found a "better" spot :lol: Its on an old railroad grade that cuts the back of the property. good line of sight with multiple trails cutting across. I've been razzing him to buy a bigger gun (than a 30-30) as the shots are anywhere from 60-100 plus yards. I'll bet dollars to donughts that gun will be hanging in the rack next year.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
What a beautiful rack!!!!! Nice and dark and symetrical.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
He'll look nice on the wall! Seems like your patience paid off as well. Great Buck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
snakebit67 said:
My buddy joe took this nice 10pt the last evening of our last hunt.
I can relate to your last minute hunting luck in the U.P. What ever the reason, we just didn't see many deer this year on private property in Menominee County. Opening day I spent 8 hours in our best blind and didn't see a thing. The next day I spent 6 more hours there and seen nothing again. I spent the rest of the week in and around our cedar swamp and saw only 3 does. On the last day to hunt, I gave my favorite blind another chance. First a small spike horn stopped by for 5 minutes before moving on. One hour later a 3 point came into view from the opposite direction. The neighbors and us have agreed to harvest 6 points and above plus any does we may need for camp. About 20 minutes later (11:00 o'clock) a large doe was leading an 8 point accross one of my shooting lanes. They stopped so close I had a little trouble getting the right target in my scope. In one morning my hunt went from somewhat uneventful to successful and I don't really know why. Most mornings we had fresh snow but not many tracks. What made the deer active all of a sudden is beyond me, but I'll take it. :)

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,385 Posts
Congrats to your buddy! Nice, dark UP rack. Sounds like you were too hurried to get it on the Y101 Deer Hunters Roundup - we always look forward to that.

Royal Whaler said:
I can relate to your last minute hunting luck in the U.P. :)
We call that "Bucks at the Buzzer" up here, and it seems to happen more than it should statistically - but I'm glad it does!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts