Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a spot on the Kalamazoo River today. Smack dab in a rural setting... Not what i prefer but its close to home. I immediately realized how low the water was in this stretch and that i forgot my tacklebox at home. Bad start to my day fishing. On my ultra light rod i already had a tube rigged up on a 1/8 jig. I located a big rock just under the surface of the murky water and tossed the jig about 10 feet over. As soon as i got close to the rock on my retrieve something smashed it!! The drag was just starting to peel line on the first run when it all went slack... The 6# line had busted! I just wonder if it was the trophy smallie ive been after...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont think there are snags that can run that fast! :) honestly i was thinking it could be a pike. Rather that than a monster smally....

·
Registered
699 Posts
always eats at me when I lose a nice one...you can always go back and try again, pike and smallies are both quite aggressive and especially in low water conditions can be very territorial. wouldnt surprise me if you caught whatever it was that broke you off...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its rough losing a nice fish. But yeah i figure ill go back in a few days when his lip is healed. It was defintely taking refuge near that boulder. But the ones that get away are what keeps me fishing it seems like. And of course the keepers:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
you can usually tell it was a pike if the end of your line where the break was is rough. there teeth usually leave some nicks to cut off before you re-tie. bass usually break clean.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts