Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

The Old Fat Guys 2015

7K views 120 replies 10 participants last post by  Sprytle 
#1 ·
Ok guys , we're all signed up and ready to go !

The Granddaughter came and stayed Friday night. We got up and went and listened Saturday morning. We seem to have a good population of gobbling turkeys again this year.
Tried to get the binoculars on some , but they seem to be feeding in the woods. Waited for about an hour and then had to get back and get ready for family functions all day.
Anyways , there was more gobbling than I expected with it being so cold. They were quite vocal.
And we even got to watch the eclipse !

Anybody else been out ?

#2 ·
Unfortunately, I have not been out. Been a very busy spring and it is looking like it will continue that way. I lost permission to the property I took my bird on last year, at least for the first season. No biggie, the owner wants to hunt with some of his friends and I have plenty of other places to go.

I am looking forward to trying out some new properties this year. I would really like to put a couple friends on birds as well as try to call one for the old lady. Counting down the days, should be a great year.

#11 ·
I saw 2 or 3 gobblers strutting on my way to work this morning. Getting excited and going scouting on saturday morning.

Where do you guys hunt? I will be hunting in arenac county. I live in saginaw and also might try around here as well.
Welcome to the team Tom.
Did anyone tell ya that the new-guy buys the first and last round at our post season get-together ?
:)
I hunt Montcalm & Lapeer Co.
L & O

#14 ·
The granddaughter and I will be out in the morning. Listening and glassing.
Got to get on top of the birds and stay on them.
The grandson is due home from Korea on May 6th. Says he wants to squeeze in a hunt before he has to report for duty at Fort Polk. Hopefully , he can tag one !

Anybody else going out?

#16 ·
I hunt Van Buren and Kalamazoo counties. I am setting a blind up this afternoon.

Just a week to go!

#17 ·
ALOT of gobbling this morning.
ALOT of birds in the same old roosting spots.
Rode around after daylight and saw quite a few strutters. A lot of them staying in the woods yet also. A lot of gobbles after flydown also.
I think it's going to be a good year !

#18 ·
ALOT of gobbling this morning.
ALOT of birds in the same old roosting spots.
Rode around after daylight and saw quite a few strutters. A lot of them staying in the woods yet also. A lot of gobbles after flydown also.
I think it's going to be a good year !

Almost here. I have 1st season (ZZ). I have listened in the morn behind the house for over a week now and haven't heard one gobble. I have a few other spots that I know are holding some good birds, I think I will actually "hunting" for one this year!!:lol:

I know we have a good team this year again!

Good luck all!

Bob

#19 ·
I know we have a good team this year again!

Bob

Good is the enemy of great and good got you a 9th place finish last year.;)
Be careful not to set your sights too high, you might hurt something.:evil:

See you next Thursday. The Snoods are off to NM to tune up our turkey slaying skillz! :woohoo1:

#21 ·
Been seeing a few strutters on my way home from work.
I'll be out in the morning scouting around , even though I have to work all week.
Good news is I'm only working 8 hr days , so I"ll be out hunting in the afternoons.
I enjoy mornings better , what ya gonna do? LOL
My granddaughter bailed on me this year , so it looks like I'll be hunting alone mostly.
Seems she thinks she's in love. LOL Dang kids anyways.

#25 ·
Set up in a food plot between 2 woodlots that were full of gobblers all weekend. Heard one tom gobble 3 times. Got one hen fired up and jabbered with her for awhile hoping to bring her in with that fat boy in tow. She shut up and probably took her man away from the competition. Too windy to hear much. Better days are a comin boys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.