Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
421 - 440 of 963 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Remember a few years back I was deer hunting the first week of Oct. along a smaller creek in Manistee County. I was all nessled in a carefully picked out tree and enjoying the peace and quiet of nature. Sounds like squirrels chattering ,birds chirping and the sound of the creek rushing by heading to its destination ,you get the picture.
When all of a sudden I hear a noise of splashing, yelling and cussing coming my way and getting closer. WTF is this I said to myself. Then I see it, some A$$ bag chasing salmon swinging a hammer and He had a machete in the other. This show went on for about a half hour or so. He would swing away crazilly while yelling at the fish. He wasn't very successful in his attempt at least from what I saw.
The "Dude" never had a clue of me witnessing his fine fishing skills. People do some crazy stupid stuff for a half dead fish .
Holy crap! That takes the cake.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
There definitely was a lot of traffic going west on 55 last evening.
I headed back east about 8:45pm. Good line of traffic headed NW down 115 and across 10. Not much traffic going east, lol.

Arrived to set camp up Wednesday afternoon. Cut grass, and had a few hours to fish so a local friend and I decided to hike in. Told him I’ve been scouting a spot for last 4-5 years and love to check it out. Tough two track ahead and knowing we have a long hike and at the time high water could be gamble. Lol Ohh man we ended hiking areas where most won’t, even in salmon season, lol! Seriously huge meadows, tail grasses like 4’-5’ in a lot of it. We hiked like 3 of them. omg worse than snow.

Water was to high to see most crossings areas but felt confident on what I scouted, so slowed my friend down and mentioned the ridge line along the meadow areas for travel. We found small deer/game path along side of it, turned out to be awesome 4+ mile hike in and out to the scouted spot. The intended crossing point was a little sketchy but finally made it there. We approach spot and can see two runs and looking for a way down bank through grass. I tell my friend, I’ll start up top and head that way, and he walks to lower part. Almost immediately I hear him yelling and see grass moving all over place. He yells, I set backpack and rods on ground bee’s nest!!!

it took us, like 45 minutes using long branches to retrieve backpack and two fishing rods. Sadly only thing lost was his and my skein that fell out back pack when he was stung getting it out. Pretty much tucked tail having no gut to run, friend stung a few times. We did see one wake while there also. Definitely a salmon sized one. I did cast some hardware there before we left.
Hahaha salmon season type story’s lol.

Also we dropped in my boat for good river ride checking some early spots. Couple chases of our lures and a few surface rolls is about all we seen but beautiful morning. A looking very salmon looking day with fog rolling off river.

Friday we pushed off like 5am for a jig knowing we could possibly get a small boat out to big lake.
harbor was 69, drove all over looking for a pod to jig and only found small one nothing bit except a rock bass lol.
With sun coming up and most big boats past pier heads we headed to jig main lake, marked very little bait and big fish so we headed back in pier heads. As soon as we hit them marked some fish.
Bite was tough mid/late morning but did mark some coming in and managed my first hook up of season. Lost the dang thing but had another pop of quickly and few other rips. Buddy had the one good hit, but mid afternoon marks slowed and arms did too. Pulled the plug and had time to get what I came for, salmon roe to start my season.
check list done this trip,
-get camp set up for fish season
-find new spot
-hook a salmon
-skein
Food Ingredient Animal product Recipe Cephalopod

·
Registered
686 Posts
I headed back east about 8:45pm. Good line of traffic headed NW down 115 and across 10. Not much traffic going east, lol.

Arrived to set camp up Wednesday afternoon. Cut grass, and had a few hours to fish so a local friend and I decided to hike in. Told him I’ve been scouting a spot for last 4-5 years and love to check it out. Tough two track ahead and knowing we have a long hike and at the time high water could be gamble. Lol Ohh man we ended hiking areas where most won’t, even in salmon season, lol! Seriously huge meadows, tail grasses like 4’-5’ in a lot of it. We hiked like 3 of them. omg worse than snow.

Water was to high to see most crossings areas but felt confident on what I scouted, so slowed my friend down and mentioned the ridge line along the meadow areas for travel. We found small deer/game path along side of it, turned out to be awesome 4+ mile hike in and out to the scouted spot. The intended crossing point was a little sketchy but finally made it there. We approach spot and can see two runs and looking for a way down bank through grass. I tell my friend, I’ll start up top and head that way, and he walks to lower part. Almost immediately I hear him yelling and see grass moving all over place. He yells, I set backpack and rods on ground bee’s nest!!!

it took us, like 45 minutes using long branches to retrieve backpack and two fishing rods. Sadly only thing lost was his and my skein that fell out back pack when he was stung getting it out. Pretty much tucked tail having no gut to run, friend stung a few times. We did see one wake while there also. Definitely a salmon sized one. I did cast some hardware there before we left.
Hahaha salmon season type story’s lol.

Also we dropped in my boat for good river ride checking some early spots. Couple chases of our lures and a few surface rolls is about all we seen but beautiful morning. A looking very salmon looking day with fog rolling off river.

Friday we pushed off like 5am for a jig knowing we could possibly get a small boat out to big lake.
harbor was 69, drove all over looking for a pod to jig and only found small one nothing bit except a rock bass lol.
With sun coming up and most big boats past pier heads we headed to jig main lake, marked very little bait and big fish so we headed back in pier heads. As soon as we hit them marked some fish.
Bite was tough mid/late morning but did mark some coming in and managed my first hook up of season. Lost the dang thing but had another pop of quickly and few other rips. Buddy had the one good hit, but mid afternoon marks slowed and arms did too. Pulled the plug and had time to get what I came for, salmon roe to start my season.
check list done this trip,
-get camp set up for fish season
-find new spot
-hook a salmon
-skein
View attachment 847843
Adventures like that are such a big part of why I do this stuff and still go home happy even without a fish. Also makes the good fishing days that much more fulfilling.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Well, I fished through the monsoon for three hours yesterday. I'm not quite sure if I just love searching for early salmon or am I just really crazy, either way....struck out. This was actually the first trip out I haven't at least hooked up once. No bites, no strikes, didn't even see any fish moving or rising. Got soaked to the bone. Time for a different rain jacket lol. Going to head back out today to see first hand what all this rain did to the rivers.

Anyways, people want some fish pics. Here's two we've already gotten this August, both river kings.
Food Salmon-like fish Plant Fish Fawn
Water Vertebrate Fish Fisherman Fish products

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
was surprise no one is fishing this morning at 6 street.
was sure there would be a few lookers this morning after the rain.
well time to get home, and get gear ready for the comming season for us shore anglers.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
IMO its to early for 6th street. Water is wayyyyyy to warm. Can’t compare the grand or Muskegon to the pm and manistee with their super early runs. Even if there was a push from the rain you wouldn’t see them already. Takes a minute to make it what, 30+ river miles? Again just my opinion I know we are all ready to pound some fish but you got awhile yet man........

·
Registered
365 Posts
At Tippy now. Been here since last night. There are some Kings, but very few. Seen a couple jump here and there, but not much action. The best action has been at night. I had one on, but he wrapped himself up in (my 9ft leader) and snapped off.
I haven't seen or heard from anybody else catching anything.
Although, you can visual see (some) in the holes, but they're not taking nothing.

I did watch a guy pull a 30+ft trailer up that hill on one of the worst roads to an unmentionable spot. (I guess I can't mention the spot by name)

Watching that guy bring that thing up that hill was insane.

He made it though.

421 - 440 of 963 Posts