Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
381 - 400 of 963 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Every year somebody hates my methods. This is not flossing.
All my fish I've caught with this technique is in the internal mouth.

With an approximate 3m length leader you're covering approximately 27m^3 of area (in theory) depending on river outflow conditions etc.

To make a point, I'll tell you a story from just last year.

There was a guy on the Big M using 1/4 ounce weights with a 3ft leader. He was not catching fish.
I explained to him his pencil weight was creating the most pull and most likely pulling his fly down the River. I told him to up his weight and leader...he asked me first.
Then I see him again, but now he has the right weight on, but his leader was still...3ft if that. Which means now the leader with the fly is under the fish.
The leader is now dragging the weight under the strike zone.

Big leaders doesn't mean flossing.
I don’t need some roundabout story as to why you use a 9’ leader. I run my 1’ leader and whack kings all year with skein. It’s not hard to catch a fish with skein and a short leader. The fact that you’re using this method with a fly tells me all I need to know. 😂

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don’t need some roundabout story as to why you use a 9’ leader. I run my 1’ leader and whack kings all year with skein. It’s not hard to catch a fish with skein and a short leader.

Well I had to clarify it. No pun intended.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts

With an approximate 3m length leader you're covering approximately 27m^3 of area (in theory) depending on river outflow conditions etc.

There was a guy on the Big M using 1/4 ounce weights with a 3ft leader. He was not catching fish.
I explained to him his pencil weight was creating the most pull and most likely pulling his fly down the River. I told him to up his weight and leader...he asked me first.
Then I see him again, but now he has the right weight on, but his leader was still...3ft if that. Which means now the leader with the fly is under the fish.

It's all good, cowboy. I'll be out they're flossing with you (as well as 98% of the other river guys that aren't just blatantly snagging).

Actually, the 9' leader on my 10' pole is how I fish the Maumee walleye run and on days when I can properly dial the weight to the river's flow, I double the number of hookups of the rest of the line.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I don’t need some roundabout story as to why you use a 9’ leader. I run my 1’ leader and whack kings all year with skein. It’s not hard to catch a fish with skein and a short leader. The fact that you’re using this method with a fly tells me all I need to know. 😂
You're arguing with him, yet you're both bottom bouncing for kings? Won't share my opinion, because it doesn't bother me how others fish, but some would say you're both 'flossin' regardless of the length your leaders. No need to poke at someone for using essentially the same method.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This thread goes in this direction every year. Battles with kings are going to come wether it’s chunk of skein under a float, some type body crank, spinners and or lined as well. And yes outright snagged. Most know at the start season the fish are going to paste a variety of baits on methods. As it progresses and they get concentrated and get more in to doing there thing. Yes there will be some dental procedures going on. Stay between the lines and have fun. I would think with ale population in LM , some of the adults put on a few additional pounds this summer. Hopefully.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Been watching old fishing vids I've saved. Got one of Al Lindner fishing platte bay. Love that one! The drone footage of all the fish stacked up in the river is awesome. I've think I've watch it 10 times now.
Also signed up for HBO live so I could watch the Lions Hard Knocks last night.
Suffices to say I'm feeling the autumn itches.

·
Registered
22,721 Posts
Sorry folks.
Check the updated regulations.

Designated trout streams North of 96 and any tributaries that flow West or East have been closed for the duration of the upcoming season.
Those recent heavy rains caused a severe drowning of fish.
Those not up from the lake yet are being preserved for brood stock.

Now you've something worth bitchin about! And just about worth as much as any other thing you don't like about salmon fishing.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Been watching old fishing vids I've saved. Got one of Al Lindner fishing platte bay. Love that one! The drone footage of all the fish stacked up in the river is awesome. I've think I've watch it 10 times now.
Also signed up for HBO live so I could watch the Lions Hard Knocks last night.
Suffices to say I'm feeling the autumn itches.
Certainly has a fall feel today here on southern Lake Huron. Stiff north wind off the lake. But it won’t change anything here. Really no lake flips this far south so water here is at 72.8 and will hover around that mark for a long time yet. But if NW Mi has the same wind I would think it’s just what everyones looking for.

·
Registered
22,721 Posts
Certainly has a fall feel today here on southern Lake Huron. Stiff north wind off the lake. But it won’t change anything here. Really no lake flips this far south so water here is at 72.8 and will hover around that mark for a long time yet. But if NW Mi has the same wind I would think it’s just what everyones looking for.
We've had a couple nights in the 50's.
Even with springs and inlets feeding cooler water in streams/rivers that have them , it's not going to be very cool water a while.

Scouting makes sense as always as early arrivals will turn up.
And by river , runs vary.
My traditional haunts are a month away yet probably.
And some clear up to Halloween!

Might have been mid Sept. one year on a balmy evening I was doing the usual , annoying the trout routine but not expecting salmon yet. Too warm.
Several salmon porpoised close in a couple minutes time. Or the same fewer repeatedly.
I looked up and down the river far as I could see and no one else was in sight.
Of course I didn't have salmon tackle or a rod with more backbone that evening.
Tossed and drifted multiple unsuitable offerings they ignored.
Funny event. Had them fresh all to myself on a well know stretch of river, and couldn't even get a hook up!

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're arguing with him, yet you're both bottom bouncing for kings? Won't share my opinion, because it doesn't bother me how others fish, but some would say you're both 'flossin' regardless of the length your leaders. No need to poke at someone for using essentially the same method.
What??? I never said I bottom bounced for kings. I only float skein for them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've watched SOOOOOOO many fishing videos on dat ol u tube dere late. I've got the itch so bad right now

You're not the only one. I'll be up there Sunday through Monday (scouting mostly then throwing out my 9 foot leaders). At this point even if I only catch a damn bass will be fine........for the moment.

Reactions: Macs13

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
We've had a couple nights in the 50's.
Even with springs and inlets feeding cooler water in streams/rivers that have them , it's not going to be very cool water a while.

Scouting makes sense as always as early arrivals will turn up.
And by river , runs vary.
My traditional haunts are a month away yet probably.
And some clear up to Halloween!

Might have been mid Sept. one year on a balmy evening I was doing the usual , annoying the trout routine but not expecting salmon yet. Too warm.
Several salmon porpoised close in a couple minutes time. Or the same fewer repeatedly.
I looked up and down the river far as I could see and no one else was in sight.
Of course I didn't have salmon tackle or a rod with more backbone that evening.
Tossed and drifted multiple unsuitable offerings they ignored.
Funny event. Had them fresh all to myself on a well know stretch of river, and couldn't even get a hook up!
Early scouting rarely pays off, but when it does, there's nothing better because usually no one else is around, or at least with salmon gear. It's already paid off a few times for us this year.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I agree, I use minimum 6-9ft leader for kings depending on the current especially in clearer water

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree, I use minimum 6-9ft leader for kings depending on the current especially in clearer water
Yeah there is nothing wrong with it.
I mean I don't only bottom bounce. I also float and throw hardware too just like most people.
On here though there are some that consider themselves elite Orvis Anglers and if you don't float skein from a Centerpin then your technique is immature at best.

Of course that's until the next trend comes around then they're the first ones to jump to that. Rinse and repeat lol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
One of the most impressive things I’ve ever saw fishing was a guy with a centerpin. We had been fishing the Big M for most of the afternoon steelhead fishing. Since steelhead have a personal agenda against me we didn’t really have much to show. We just figured that we have pure timing and the run was either early or late. If I had a buck for every time I heard “should been here last week” I could probably put a deposit down on a nice truck. I’m watching him and within 5 minutes he’s hooked up. He also appears to forgot his net so I go down and net a dandy steelhead for him. We chat for a few and I’m walking back to my spot and I don’t have my line in the water and he’s hooked up again. I net that fish for him as well. I watched him hook close to 10-15 steelhead putting most to hand or net. This was in the span of late evening into dusk. Dude has his craft down on the pin.

I always enjoy watching the specialized guys employ the craft. Dudes like oh-yeah who can bomb a Spey cast 100 ft across the river. Or the guys that can bomb a fly 80 ft into the wind just out in front of a bonefish. Hell even the bass guys that can skip a frog under 20ft of tree are fun to watch.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah there is nothing wrong with it.
I mean I don't only bottom bounce. I also float and throw hardware too just like most people.
On here though there are some that consider themselves elite Orvis Anglers and if you don't float skein from a Centerpin then your technique is immature at best.

Of course that's until the next trend comes around then they're the first ones to jump to that. Rinse and repeat lol.
You guys have it all wrong. I just use a net. All the savings not needing a rod and reel, tackle, and lost tackle more than makes up for any tickets. Plus if they confiscate my net who cares it's just a net.

If you think catching a chicken is tough...

381 - 400 of 963 Posts