Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search but didn't find what I was looking for. Can you guys tell me what is the most powerful .22 rimfire round and the gun you'd recommend for it?

I'm also interested in knowing what the effective range is for squirrels, wood chucks and yotes. I'm in the mood for a new gun...

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
22 Magnum in the Savage Model 93FVSS-XP. Good varmint gun. Les

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
CCI Velocitor 40gr 1400+/- FPS

Aguila Super max 30gr 1700+/- FPS

Now, speed and down range punch will be worthless without accuracy.

I think just about any .22LR can handle these but for cheap, accurate rifles, I've heard nothing but good stuff about the CZ 452.

Range for bushy tailed rats will depend on your ability and familiarity with the rifle you've chosen. With a 4X scope and some practice I can't see why a 100 yard shot would be impossible. I might not recommend such a long shot but it can be done with a .22lr.

Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

My main interest for the .22 is for long range squirrel hunting. I've noticed the squirrels on the property I hunt spend a lot of time on the edge of the corn fields and gunning for them at maximum distance sounds like a challenge.

I went squirrel hunting with my son the other day and the only ones we saw were 100 yds out on the field edge. With the right set-up, it'd be like prairie dog hunting ;) .

My .22-250 is just too much gun for them and way too loud for that situation.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Take a look at .17 Mach 2, I was looking for the same thing as you, a 22 with a little more range, but not so much zip that it blows apart your game. I'd say it does no more damage than a 22.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have a Ruger 77/22 .22mag bolt action. They are not cheap unfortunately, but they are super nice rifles. Triggers need work, but the gun is very accurate.

For some general info, check out www.rimfirecentral.com. All fimfires and some great info. You'll be simply amazed at what many are doing to all kinds of rimfire rifles these days. And really, building a super accurate rimfire can be pretty inexpensive...or god awful expensive if you choose.

I also have a Remington 597 laminated heavy barrel .22lr that is very, very accurate as well, but I have not spent much time with it at the range yet to really dial it in. My limited use though shows great potential.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
you should really look at the .17hmr, its basicly a .22 mag cartrage necked down to .17. the .22 long rifle will give you a bullet drop at 100 yards of 5.5 to 6.5 inches. the .17hmr will only drop 3/4 inch at 100 yards. its a tack driving squirrel head exploding beauty of a round.
bvanzalen said:
Thanks for the input.

My main interest for the .22 is for long range squirrel hunting. I've noticed the squirrels on the property I hunt spend a lot of time on the edge of the corn fields and gunning for them at maximum distance sounds like a challenge.

I went squirrel hunting with my son the other day and the only ones we saw were 100 yds out on the field edge. With the right set-up, it'd be like prairie dog hunting ;) .

My .22-250 is just too much gun for them and way too loud for that situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts