Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone trying this and is it working? It seems like it could work, however I don't like the fact that you're ripping the fly out of the fish's mouth in order to hook him. The other thing I'm thinking, if you were to catch a fish with this system, would it be considered a legal fish?

For those who haven't seen it: http://www.moffittangling.com/control/howItWorks

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
That fish looks like it's hooked "outside to the inside" and if it is, had bettered be released. IMHO Why don't they just slide the "fly" down the line so it's closer to the hook, and use a little scent. Capnhook

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
I 2nd that, out side the mouth is not legal, and sounds to me to use this rig like its designed to, in reality your SNAGGING!
I dunno, theres a ton of methods that work that ARE legal, so why take the chance!

BD

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't feel safe with this. Looks like snagging with a dummy.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you removed the big circle hook from he end of the leader and added a fly it seems like this would just be a quick way to assemble dropper rigs. The flies added above the circle hook are just attached with a polymer knot it looks like.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess if you're using this rig you are already planning on a release but I would hate to have a CO interpret it the wrong way. I was thinking this would work better if the fly was attached with a rubber ring or something to allow it to slide down the line to the hook, I feel like the fish might bolt if you rip the fly out of his mouth....

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
You should all try to remember that it may be illegal in Michigan to keep a fish hooked on the outside of the mouth (which I think is rediculous. but I don't keep fish so I don't really care). Go south or west and you could keep that fish in MANY states. So... before you condemn the system remember that they didn't design it for JUST Michigan waters.

That said... I'll just keep bass fishing the way I've been doing it for 30+ years!

·
Registered
360 Posts
HH, my understanding is snagging is hooking the fish anywhere but the mouth, inside or outside the mouth doesn't matter as long as it's in the mouth. A friend is a DNR officer and that was his opinion. To me this isn't much different then using a dropper except the dropper has material attached. I bet we have all caught fish on the dropper when infact the fish went after the top fly.

Jim

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
HuntinHorseman, according to you it says "...IN the mouth...". JTC, I'm guessing we've all snagged a fish inadvertently, but they still have to be released. IMHO Capnhook

·
Super Moderator
37,512 Posts
Just a plain old attractor and snag rig.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
In the mouth is in the mouth. You can get a ticket for a fish hooked on the outside of the mouth.

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
In the mouth is in the mouth. You can get a ticket for a fish hooked on the outside of the mouth.
Hard to say really? As i have been reading the Fishing Handbook my entire life NO where does it say you will be ticketted for a fish hooked outside the mouth!
In the mouth is considerably different than INSIDE the mouth
Most laws are ment for Interpitation!
If you are uncomfortable with keeping a fish not hooked INSIDE the mouth then by all means release it, I have hooked Steelheads in the tip of the jaw as well, and that is NOT INSIDE the mouth, I think its a matter of personal preference, I do however use a dropper and some accuse it of being SNAGGGING and say all we do is LINE the fish then set the hook outside the mouth, but IN THE MOUTH it is, weather its inside ot outside?

BD

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
No matter where you grew up.......
Any time someone gets punched between the nose and chin , and both cheeks , it's always stated/written , and understood , as " in the mouth " , when , in fact , it could be " outside the mouth ".

Maybe someone should explain where it is written that , when catching fish , it means something else.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Looks a lot like the "fly fishing" I see every fall while I'm fishing for smallies or cats, guys w/ streamers "fishing" for salmon. :evilsmile

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
No matter where you grew up.......
Any time someone gets punched between the nose and chin , and both cheeks , it's always stated/written , and understood , as " in the mouth " , when , in fact , it could be " outside the mouth ".

Maybe someone should explain where it is written that , when catching fish , it means something else.
I would love to see that excuse used with a CO. I don't understand what is so difficult about hooking a fish inside the mouth? Do you guys really snag that many fish outside the mouth where you need to keep them? I really can't think of a legitamite fishing technique where you would often hook a fish outside the mouth unless you are outright snagging. Sorry guys it sounds like a lot of you are looking for ways to legally justify snagging or lining a fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts