Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
I am not a fan of an AR platform, at all, for hunting. I know guys that love them.

Give me a bolt action. More accurate, more reliable, built for hunting.

Now, on a range, for fun, an AR can be enjoyable.

I love when people are happy and confident with their weapon of choice, so I am good with anything and prefer more choices.

·
Registered
18,281 Posts
If you are already familiar with the platform , you'll enjoy it's use more.
AR's offer some versatility by swapping out uppers ect..

Not my cup of tea.
I'd run my less accurate AK first. It's familiar, durable , and will tolerate more abuse.

A turnbolt is my go to on multiple rifles for deer.
Familiarity. Proven accuracy. Tolerable to freezing rain ect. as demonstrated repeatedly.

At the end of the day , who cares what rifle is used if the results are an accurate well placed shot with a bullet designed for killing deer that performs effectively?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am not a fan of an AR platform, at all, for hunting. I know guys that love them.

Give me a bolt action. More accurate, more reliable, built for hunting.

Now, on a range, for fun, an AR can be enjoyable.

I love when people are happy and confident with their weapon of choice, so I am good with anything and prefer more choices.
kind of where I’m at. I gave it a shot and there good things about them for sure. I won’t be selling mine but I now have an excuse to buy another couple rifles.
Won’t lie I didn’t try it out on a good old fashioned deer drive. It could be just the gun for that I don’t know.

I have used an AR for hunting coyotes at night only once. It wasn’t my hunt and I wasn’t calling shots but I thought we would have killed more yotes with single shots and letting them come in closer. Running coyote at 300yards is tough even with an auto and multiple shooters. That was probably a dozen years ago and after hunting with that group I switched to hunting alone and a shotgun or my bolt 223.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Love the photo which started this thread.

Three years ago I didn't know what all the fuss was about with modern sporting rifles used for hunting, so figured I gotta find out for myself. My intent was to use my Savage MSR15 for SLP. I bought the Savage sharing your philosophy: brand matters because quality matters. But, the 350 Legend upper from Bear Creek had some feeding problems (3 jams in 45 round using 3 different ammo mfrs), so had to send it back to factory. Definitely not the CMMG magazine.

So, for 2020, my Savage 220F 20-ga slugger got the call. In previous years it was a Beretta AL390 with Hastings Paradox barrel. Neither has ever missed on a deer. Hopefully I can say the same thing with the 350 Legend next year.

But, I say use whatever goes "bang" and accurately knocks down the deer. Hunter numbers are dropping and that should concern us all. If a b&w photo with three hunting buddies and mean-looking military style rifles helps draw more yutes into hunting and outdoors sports, GREAT! And if that photo angers the liberals, BETTER!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You convinced me. Got my jx3 yesterday via ups. Excited to try it out. But what I really want to know is!! Why doesn’t that kid oil his 20 gauge? I mean, if your too lazy to oil grandads gun, do you deserve any sympathy???

101 - 107 of 107 Posts