Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I find it troubling that so many people establish loads and components based on published crap instead of actual range time. I understand components are costly. There are some knowledgeable people on this forum that at times that appear to be ignored.....

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I hear what you are saying.I have known a few people over the years that believed that you had to burn 150 gr of powder in their muzzleloader because it was a magnum rifle.Personaly I have found that most of my rifles like the loads somewhere around 80 or 90 gr.But thats just my opinion.And everybody knows what opinions are like.

Reactions: 1dlamb

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry but I find it troubling that so many people establish loads and components based on published crap instead of actual range time. I understand components are costly. There are some knowledgeable people on this forum that at times that appear to be ignored.....
Musketman.........Do you mean that even if you're using a BDC scope you'll actually have to PRACTICE shooting at longer ranges?
P.S. John and I missed you at the Cadillac 500-600 X

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Musketman.........Do you mean that even if you're using a BDC scope you'll actually have to PRACTICE shooting at longer ranges?
P.S. John and I missed you at the Cadillac 500-600 X

X ............. good to see you back around.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea X reallity is out of respect for the animals we pursue we owe it to them to be properly prepared. 95% of the people on here would be well served to go with the tried and proven generic 100 gr of (blackpowder or suitable substitute) propellant and 240 - 275 gr bullet of your choice with a proven sabot. And no a powerbelt has no purpose other than a fishing sinker. Having attended so many deer rifle sight ins I'd prefer to not get into the topic of one's limit on effective killing distance. It's hard to expect people to get familiar with these guns with component prices so high.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Yea X reallity is out of respect for the animals we pursue we owe it to them to be properly prepared. 95% of the people on here would be well served to go with the tried and proven generic 100 gr of (blackpowder or suitable substitute) propellant and 240 - 275 gr bullet of your choice with a proven sabot. And no a powerbelt has no purpose other than a fishing sinker. Having attended so many deer rifle sight ins I'd prefer to not get into the topic of one's limit on effective killing distance. It's hard to expect people to get familiar with these guns with component prices so high.
After seeing your comments on powerbelt bullets and just getting into muzzleloading,I have been looking for a alternative to sabots as I will be using it in colorado for elk. What would you recommend out of a t/c 50 inline..seems to be a lot of opinions both ways..Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do they still have some unique projectile requirements there? I would suggest looking at some of the boresize lead bullets some have designed specifically for the Western States that don't allow sabots. Bob Parker at Parker Bullets comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Do they still have some unique projectile requirements there? I would suggest looking at some of the boresize lead bullets some have designed specifically for the Western States that don't allow sabots. Bob Parker at Parker Bullets comes to mind.
Yep no sabots, area we hunt(all bowhunting so far)all shots would be well under 100 yrds, no scopes either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a bullet I believe it was a Hydro-con. If you call Bob Parker I'm thinking he will steer you in the right direction....

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Yep no sabots, area we hunt(all bowhunting so far)all shots would be well under 100 yrds, no scopes either.
Problem solved. They will send you a sample package of different sizes to match to your bore diameter.

https://thorbullets.com/

·
Registered
230 Posts
5yrs running: 100 grains powder and 290 grains Barnes T-EZ in my Traditions. Accurate to 100 yards with plenty of knock down power.

·
Registered
755 Posts
5yrs running: 100 grains powder and 290 grains Barnes T-EZ in my Traditions. Accurate to 100 yards with plenty of knock down power.

Yup! Great load there. I've shot T-EZ and T-MZ with really no noticeable difference in accuracy. I shoot T-MZ's in the 290 flavor over 100 grains of BH209 and it's OUTSTANDING

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
The load that I settled on in my Remington 700 is 82 gr of BH with a Harvester crush rib sabot and a 300 gr Hornady .458 jacketed hollow point.

·
Registered
108 Posts
After seeing your comments on powerbelt bullets and just getting into muzzleloading,I have been looking for a alternative to sabots as I will be using it in colorado for elk. What would you recommend out of a t/c 50 inline..seems to be a lot of opinions both ways..Thanks
The Platinum Powerbelts are the Uno #1 Belt...... a real nice performer...... 270, 300 and the powerhouse 338.
Just too darn expensive for me. I'm a cheapskate that rides the 32 cent Hornady XTPs in 45-cal 240 mag, 250 regular and 44-cal 300 grain regular, which are the best bang for your half-empty wallet in sabot/bullets.

Getting back on-topic, never assume your ML will perform like the stat sheets say. If you want to know where your target holes are at 25-50-100 and 150 yards, you must shoot that ML to find out.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
The Platinum Powerbelts are the Uno #1 Belt...... a real nice performer...... 270, 300 and the powerhouse 338.
Just too darn expensive for me. I'm a cheapskate that rides the 32 cent Hornady XTPs in 45-cal 240 mag, 250 regular and 44-cal 300 grain regular, which are the best bang for your half-empty wallet in sabot/bullets.

Getting back on-topic, never assume your ML will perform like the stat sheets say. If you want to know where your target holes are at 25-50-100 and 150 yards, you must shoot that ML to find out.
Yup, they sure are........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts