Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
can't disagree, but the .270 is also a great gun for michigan whitetails.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
i like all 3 but i personally love my rugar .300 win mag. theres going to be lots of opinions but what ever works for you and does the job i feel would be the best round.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Whatever you can shoot well and will put down a deer.

Me .243win Remington 742

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
All the above are great choices, but I'd have to go with the .30-06. It's also one of the easiest cartridges to find in a small sporting goods store.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
This question has been debated a few times before. Usually, the best round for Michigan deer hunting boils down to the longest range you expect to shoot. That is, in a swamp where you may only see 50 yards, _____ works the best, but hunting over a large bean field where you can see half a mile______ is the better round. No matter if it's 40 yards or 400, the SHOOTER has to make the shot, not the rifle.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I own and shoot all of the above (except for the .358) and they all will do the job.It's always a big decision which rifle to use. If I could only have one allaround rifle I'd draw straws between 30/06, .270,
7X57, and 7mm/08.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I shoot a 7 mag. and it does the job...maybe a little much for Michigan but...oh well. I also shoot a .243 sweet rifle. Great MI gun would have to be the old trusty 30-30. Wish I knew how many a deer have been harvested with that caliber here in MI over the years.:cool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
50% for the 30/30 dream on. Maybe in the 1950's. Maybe for the 30.06 but not the 30/30. I have been around plenty of hunters and none of them use a 30/30 (Some have them but don't use them). But probably 75% of them use a 30.06. I personally use a 300 WSM. But i agree with WalleyeVision that the 30.06 is one of the easiest cartridges to find in a small sporting goods store

·
Registered
585 Posts
I shoot a 7mm Mag...Its a lil much since my uncle makes the dies for remington and he loads me some beefed up shells. I'm shoooting a 160 grain bullet at 3100 fps. lil excessive for my 40 yard shots.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
A 30-30 would out-shoot most of the -06's in Michigan from 100 yards down, because the -06's are usually sighted in for 200+. ;)

10,812 Posts
When considering a firarm for the title of best deer gun/caliber in Michigan, centerfire rifles must be excluded becasue they are not legal weapons in 1/3 of the state. That basically leaves us with eithor a 12-gauge shotgun or a muzzleloader. I just tested a Savage 10-ML muzzleloader and found it to be the best muzzleloader I've ever used. It shot sub, 1" groups at 100-yards with several bullet and charge combinations. The 10-ML might just be the ultimate all-around deer gun in Michgian.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I sighted in my 30-06 semi-auto and my 12 gauge bolt action at 100 yards (in the field) and was getting the same groups (2-3"). Then during the season I ran into a monster at 25 yards. I left him a scar with the rifle. If I had the slugger, he would have been down. I lost confidence in the little bitty bullet that rifles deliver. Nobody likes a marginal hit and if there happens to be one, i'd rather have it come from a big ol slug.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts