Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Lmao off. It’s not even hot. 80’s in late June is super common.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I took this pic of the outside temp on the console of my truck coming back from town today - 99 at 1:16 PM. Didn't get a pic of the thermometer at the house but it was 93 in the shade on our porch this afternoon.

View attachment 838445

It isn't going to happen very often of course, but about 20 years ago, Iron Mountain was the hottest place in the country - something well over 100 degrees.
I am pretty sure I remember that day. Quiet riot and I think Ratt were playing in the Dickinson county national guard building. I got moved from the lab to the knock off block at Grede foundries, just for that night, due to call ins. It was so hot that our thermometer on the wall melted. But at break time you could listen the the concert.

·
Registered
15,579 Posts
Actually a high percentage did in what 2013? Ehd comes on from hot drought. Some areas were virtually deerless.
What high percentage of Michigan's whitetail deer population died from Ehd, brought on by drought, in 2013? There are roughly 1,800,000 deer in MI every year. That's a lots of deer. There are more deer in MI right now, than there were in the entire US, 100 years ago. Far more.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Does it even get hot in zone 1? If it does there is no comparison to zone 3.
It hit 103 here in Trout Creek yesterday, 92 right now. Was only 80s down in Jackson my dad said. Doubt it harmed the deer at all, but definitely wasnt expecting to EVER see 100 degrees again when we moved up here 🥵.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
This was from the evening news last night in Marquette:

World Television presenter Human Map News

and this was from Storm Radar this morning for my area in Dickinson County...Heat values of 95 - 102.

Font Terrestrial plant Parallel Technology Electronic device

Reactions: cmburr73

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What high percentage of Michigan's whitetail deer population died from Ehd, brought on by drought, in 2013? There are roughly 1,800,000 deer in MI every year. That's a lots of deer. There are more deer in MI right now, than there were in the entire US, 100 years ago. Far more.
Well maybe you enjoyed having properties that you couldn't hunt do to the stench and didn't have a deer on camera for 2 years where once you saw 20 a sit? There were areas in SW MICHIGAN that were void for multiple years. You must not have been around the southern part of the state or you would have a clue.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It was a honest question, I’m not a deer expert.

and hearing about how the 2000+ cattle that dropped dead in Kansas last week due to the heat made me ask the question.

Sorry @6Speed if I bothered you with my question, I didn’t mean to upset the fearless newly retired leader :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
It was a honest question, I’m not a deer expert.

and hearing about how the 2000+ cattle that dropped dead in Kansas last week due to the heat made me ask the question.

Sorry @6Speed if I bothered you with my question, I didn’t mean to upset the fearless newly retired leader :)
If we r being honest= I'm a deer expert & yes heat/drought affect deer. It was a good question/thread. Anyone that disagrees can go review post #10

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
The deer will survive just like they have the thousands of years before. Are a few 90 degree days even that unusual for summer time in MI?
I’ll be in Garden MI in the UP next week to camp. Temps are forecasted for highs in the upper 60’s and lower 70’s. Absolutely perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I don’t think the heat adversely effects the deer. They can find somewhere shaded with a little breeze that will keep them a little more comfy. Extended dry periods and drought probably have a much worse effect.
Down here in SC these deer live through 5+ months of oppressive heat and high humidity and they are none the worse for ware.
It’s actually been pretty dry down here and have 3 nice bucks I’ve seen a few times including one with a small drop tine off his left side.
The biggest of the 3 already has a rack as big as the one I killed in Michigan in 2020. Pic below for reference. And this guy still has 2 months of growing to do and is surrounded by beans fields. He’s gonna be a good one.
Television set Television Rectangle Font Tints and shades

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Reactions: Wild Thing
21 - 40 of 41 Posts