Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will these high temps and little to no rain effect the deer this summer?

I know they are used to all the weather but it seems to be getting hot this year and the humidity is super high.

Just thinking that they might have issues with finding anything to eat long term if nothing is growing?

·
Registered
39,784 Posts
That must be happening somewhere else. It’s been overly dry and on the cooler side for the most part. We are currently having our biggest rain even of the season today. No burn permits have been available for a while with all the high dry wind. We had a heat advisory but the weather man could not have been more wrong, it never got out of the 50s in this area of the NLP.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
No, they will be fine. Plenty of food around in the woods. Deer eat 4-5 times a day with 2 or 3 feedings right where they bed during the day.

·
Premium Member
12,507 Posts
Will these high temps and little to no rain effect the deer this summer?

I know they are used to all the weather but it seems to be getting hot this year and the humidity is super high.

Just thinking that they might have issues with finding anything to eat long term if nothing is growing?

Yea, it's killing them by the hundreds every day. The deer in South Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Florida all used their stimulus money to buy air conditioning and TVs to watch Oprah and door dash for their kibble so they're cool...

It's hot, so what (that rythmes)! They'll be fine Dad but maybe we should drop them some cold beets and carrots this week? Maybe I'll start a Go Fund Me to help out!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
High temps could bring on EHD in the zone 3. Other than that they should be fine and be able to locate areas to cool. Not like cattle confined to a pasture. Even then haven't heard of any cattle in Michigan succumbing to heat like out west. My concern is higher temps usually encourages EHD outbreaks.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
High temps could bring on EHD in the zone 3. Other than that they should be fine and be able to locate areas to cool. Not like cattle confined to a pasture. Even then haven't heard of any cattle in Michigan succumbing to heat like out west. My concern is higher temps usually encourages EHD outbreaks.
Yep, hot & little to zero rain in the forecast. 2 weeks from now will be the ehd threads.

I believe this heat would be tough on a fawn that was already struggling with dehydration, whatcha think?

Reactions: Chriss83

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
That is the nice thing about having summer thermal cover and water holes on your property. We have a lot of different types of habitat on our property - notably our Sugar Bush with mature maple trees as well as other northern hardwood ridges that provide lots of shade and maybe even a little breeze for the deer on hot days. They can be quite comfortable just bedding there during the hot day time and then moving out towards the food plots in the evening. These ridges provide zero winter thermal cover but they are great in the summer.

There was no year round water on any of our 160 acres when we bought it but every time I had a bull dozer in here working on other projects, I had them open up a water hole or two - about a 5-10 minute job with a dozer. We now have 8 water holes located throughout the property as well as a larger pond we had excavators in to build.

Plenty of food, water and shaded thermal cover here so I am sure the current heat is no big deal for our deer.

Reactions: textox and pgpn123

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Yep, hot & little to zero rain in the forecast. 2 weeks from now will be the ehd threads.

I believe this heat would be tough on a fawn that was already struggling with dehydration, whatcha think?
Nope - Even fawns are smart enough to move to the shade when they get hot.

I watched this one do it 3 days in the same week when its mother left it bedded right outside our cabin. All 3 days the doe bedded it in the exact same place. On all 3 days, when the sun came up and started warming things up, it got up and moved on its own to the shade under the maple tree.

Plant Leaf Green Vegetation People in nature

Plant Tree Rodent Grey squirrel Fawn

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Does it even get hot in zone 1? If it does there is no comparison to zone 3.
I took this pic of the outside temp on the console of my truck coming back from town today - 99 at 1:16 PM. Didn't get a pic of the thermometer at the house but it was 93 in the shade on our porch this afternoon.

Font Line Gadget Display device Technology

It isn't going to happen very often of course, but about 20 years ago, Iron Mountain was the hottest place in the country - something well over 100 degrees.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Sure, the heat affects them….you think you’re hot? Add a fur coat and let me know how you’re doing! But, deer adapt to it like they do every other weather occurrence! They will shift their feeding and movement times, they will bed in cooler places, etc. good example was I saw a doe and fawn bedded not 20 yards off the road, in front of the neighbors house. They have a swampy area along the road and they lied along the waters edge in the cool mud in the shade with little side cover so the breeze also helped keep them cool. Any other time, this area is a deer desert, but when it comes to hot, they will lay where they can be cool and still escape if need be.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts