41 - 61 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
well the river finally locked up by me, now i really feel trapped

·
Registered
577 Posts
Anybody catching em in there at all? Been silent on here except for my skunks... I may try fishing tmrw afternoon for a few hrs. I know it's a long shot, hell I got a better chance of getting a musky in a puddle... but I dont have icefishing gear and I got cabin fever.

Reactions: DoubleJ1929

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
well the river finally locked up by me, now i really feel trapped
well the river by me moved, but mother nature didn't do it, the fire departments big air boat moved it, they run along shore upstream from riverside park to about 3 miles above north park bridge, then came back down threw the center, a whole lot of ice moved down stream n has stopped how, there's no open water, just big pieces of broken ice,, talked to a couple of neighbors they haven't heard of any kind of rescuers ( it would b the first ice rescue here in the 25+ years i've lived here) ,, i sure hope they didn't just take the boat out for a run, their r better places to do that, instead of just above a know ice jam area, time will tell, i hope they didn't make/give old man river a toe hold to make a bad ice jam, at spring breaku, :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
yesterday took a ride n talked to more of my neighbor's upstream n down the river, well my buddy up river, said they went past his house n then turn around n headed back down, he couldn't figure out why they drove up here he seen no rescues, well my neighbor down stream, seen them come up, n on there way down, watched n saw there boat take a **** in the middle of the river (by mill creek) two guys were pole pushing trying to get out of the ice flow n get to shore, the third guy finally got the boat running again n the left, well, i believe they made BIG trouble for us river people by joy riding in such a bad place,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i can here them now "mother nature caused the ice jam at north park bridge",, not us,,,,,,,,,,,,bs, i've lived most of my life some where along this river ,,,,,,, what they did was very foolish

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Any ice flow reports? I was in the Grand Ledge area yesterday. Shocked to see river froze completely across. Got the gears turning what to do Sunday. Icefish or get the boat on the river somewhere. ...
If any one has eyes on the Ionia Saranac area, that would be helpful. But anywhere will help with what to do.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any ice flow reports? I was in the Grand Ledge area yesterday. Shocked to see river froze completely across. Got the gears turning what to do Sunday. Icefish or get the boat on the river somewhere. ...
If any one has eyes on the Ionia Saranac area, that would be helpful. But anywhere will help with what to do.:D
She's locked up tight over by Comstock Park still. Ice is melting quickly though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Grand was frozen over at GR Sunday morning; not sure if there is any melt/breakup yet. Usually that happens around the first week of March.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Was at Weber yesterday and all the flood gates were closed and the water was down close to 2’. Consumers repaired the break wall separating the turbine side and gate side. I can attest that there isn’t a fish holding within a mile of that dam because the deports water is 2’ at best. Driving thru Lyons I noticed it is locked up tight as far as I could see. Next week I’m thinking the Tribs will be fishable in that area.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for the river report on that area. Last summer/fall that entire wall was removed and the new one built.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Was at Weber yesterday and all the flood gates were closed and the water was down close to 2’. Consumers repaired the break wall separating the turbine side and gate side. I can attest that there isn’t a fish holding within a mile of that dam because the deports water is 2’ at best. Driving thru Lyons I noticed it is locked up tight as far as I could see. Next week I’m thinking the Tribs will be fishable in that area.
Hasn't been a fish below webber since I started fishing there in late nov..
Literally no sign all season...lol. and tribs wont have any fish either unless a fresh push comes over 6th st dam.

Anybody have a feel for how long it takes steelhead to swim from 6th st dam to webber?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hasn't been a fish below webber since I started fishing there in late nov..
Literally no sign all season...lol. and tribs wont have any fish either unless a fresh push comes over 6th st dam.

Anybody have a feel for how long it takes steelhead to swim from 6th st dam to webber?
A Steelhead can travel over 30 miles in a day. Impressive creatures.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What they CAN do and what they ACTUALLY do is ,of course, two different things. Under ideal and urgent travel conditions maybe they get there in 2 or 3 days. But i feel conditions are too complicated to make them predictable. Now coho are a different animal. My rule-of-thumb for them is a week.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
i would think a couple days when the river n water temps r right, right now i got a piece of ice about 75+yards wide n about 3+ mile long right out side my window, it mite move from west to east sunday night n start moving down stream tuesday n i should be back on the river next sunday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at lease i'm hopeing so,,,,,,,,,,,,, bad case of cabin fever

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
i would think a couple days when the river n water temps r right, right now i got a piece of ice about 75+yards wide n about 3+ mile long right out side my window, it mite move from west to east sunday night n start moving down stream tuesday n i should be back on the river next sunday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at lease i'm hopeing so,,,,,,,,,,,,, bad case of cabin fever
I need to just get with the program and put my icefishing stuff away, get on with cleaning up the garage and get to the other projects I've been working on before we had ice. Its due for some serious cleaning!!! Was going to fish this morning but light rain out the window told me to sleep in.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
well took a nap from 3 to 6 the big piece of ice in front of the house is gone (goes ta show ya what i know ) i'll be fishing sooner then i was thinking, goody,goodie

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mid trip update

Was gonna hit up below bs dam but the low water made me reroute to a grand tributary, 4 hours in no bites no sign, although I did catch a line with a brand new countdown rapala and nice new little Cleo on it...enjoying a brew across the street at third nature brewing with my 50 bucks I won on a 2 buck ticket this morning...Will fish the trib another hr or so, then drive the 20 min to 6th st dam on the grand...no good there will hit another trib on the ride back to owosso...

Been a lucky day so far except for fish...but luck comes in threes so I am optimistic

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
You deserve a 6 fish day TFB!!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mid trip update

Was gonna hit up below bs dam but the low water made me reroute to a grand tributary, 4 hours in no bites no sign, although I did catch a line with a brand new countdown rapala and nice new little Cleo on it...enjoying a brew across the street at third nature brewing with my 50 bucks I won on a 2 buck ticket this morning...Will fish the trib another hr or so, then drive the 20 min to 6th st dam on the grand...no good there will hit another trib on the ride back to owosso...

Been a lucky day so far except for fish...but luck comes in threes so I am optimistic
0 fish 0 bites. Spoke to couple guys same story. Water very fishable and accessible everywhere I saw fwiw, just no signs of life.

Tried bouncing bags, jig, hot n tot, lil cleo.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
seen no big ice coming down the river today, i would think it;s boatable from 6th. st. up to the rogue, maybe farther, thinking about getting the boat in tomorrow ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,free,,,free at last

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Always the weird type of season when your winter fish in the river push and hit the gravel and exit at the slightest increase in water temp and flows..then the waiting period for the main spring fish to arrive. I always struggle this time of year. Some years less than others but it seems pretty common.....on most rivers that is. I've had some reports that have been total opposite but each river has its own attitude I guess

41 - 61 of 63 Posts