Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Why are you losing so many fish? 1 for 20, 1 for 10, 2 for 12. Not trying to be a dick at all.. just curious.
So fishing at 6th street is a lot different then anywhere else I fish, I essentially go through like 30 leaders and beads or spawn bags a trip, the whole dam is just lined with snags, and the boils make it really hard to land fish, especially when you hook a lot of kings, or when there’s like 10 other people around you, I’ve had my fish literally run through peoples legs before, it’s an experience for sure

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So fishing at 6th street is a lot different then anywhere else I fish, I essentially go through like 30 leaders and beads or spawn bags a trip, the whole dam is just lined with snags, and the boils make it really hard to land fish, especially when you hook a lot of kings, or when there’s like 10 other people around you, I’ve had my fish literally run through peoples legs before, it’s an experience for sure
Gotcha. I've never fished the grand so I just wondered.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gabe saw you on shore.
Fished around the area today in a boat. If you weren’t in the boils at the dam you were fishing not catching. Maybe 6-8” of visibility. Not many fish moving compared to Thursday.
fished 7:30-11 am and got two small cats in the boat with 3 guys fishing. There’s fish up there but what’s there is pushing hard to get to some cool water. Water temp was 64
Fished skein and beads.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Gabe saw you on shore.
Fished around the area today in a boat. If you weren’t in the boils at the dam you were fishing not catching. Maybe 6-8” of visibility. Not many fish moving compared to Thursday.
fished 7:30-11 am and got two small cats in the boat with 3 guys fishing. There’s fish up there but what’s there is pushing hard to get to some cool water. Water temp was 64
Fished skein and beads.
Definitely not as many fish as last weekend around, just weirdly warm for october

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Bedrock Reptile Natural material Rock Soil
⁹I got to my location at 650am, rigged up a spawn bag on a float, my first ever bag I tied with my own coho eggs. Decided I would throw it out and let it swirl around in the eddy while I tied a spinner on...didnt even find my spinner yet and my rod about got dragged into the water. It was on! A fifteen minute battle later...found it was a huge channel catfish. Guy weighed it for me at 13.7 lbs. I put another bag on and threw it out, looking for the spinner again, and bam! Zing zing real fast and it popped off. I put another bag on and tossed it out...halfway into tying on the spinner and my spawn rod was doubled over again. After a good battle landed....another channle catfish, maybe 7 or 8 lbs. Threw another bag out, held the rod this time, within 1 minute had another bobber down. Landed a 5 or 6 lb beat to hell buck coho. So this all took place about 7am to 745am. Never got another stinking bite until noon when I left, and only saw a couple salmon, both very dark. Water real high and dirty.

In summation, the coho run is waning. But if you have coho eggs go catfishing.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
View attachment 791478 ⁹I got to my location at 650am, rigged up a spawn bag on a float, my first ever bag I tied with my own coho eggs. Decided I would throw it out and let it swirl around in the eddy while I tied a spinner on...didnt even find my spinner yet and my rod about got dragged into the water. It was on! A fifteen minute battle later...found it was a huge channel catfish. Guy weighed it for me at 13.7 lbs. I put another bag on and threw it out, looking for the spinner again, and bam! Zing zing real fast and it popped off. I put another bag on and tossed it out...halfway into tying on the spinner and my spawn rod was doubled over again. After a good battle landed....another channle catfish, maybe 7 or 8 lbs. Threw another bag out, held the rod this time, within 1 minute had another bobber down. Landed a 5 or 6 lb beat to hell buck coho. So this all took place about 7am to 745am. Never got another stinking bite until noon when I left, and only saw a couple salmon, both very dark. Water real high and dirty.

In summation, the coho run is waning. But if you have coho eggs go catfishing.
Nice catch, n a very clean looking fish, way to go

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
very nice cat

Reactions: TroutFishingBear

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Nice catch, n a very clean looking fish, way to go
very nice cat
You both have been very encouraging and helpful for me. Couldnt have asked for two better guys to help. You guys are like the godfathers of the grand river... I Love our river and its tributaries. I live nearer the headwaters...slews for pike it looks like mostly...or smb....cant wait to dial those in too.

Steelhead here we come.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
You both have been very encouraging and helpful for me. Couldnt have asked for two better guys to help. You guys are like the godfathers of the grand river... I Love our river and its tributaries. I live nearer the headwaters...slews for pike it looks like mostly...or smb....cant wait to dial those in too.

Steelhead here we come.
thats a nice thing to say, if i can shortin your learning curve that's great, but remember i'm still learning at 76, good luck go gitum

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
thank you TroutBear...Uncle Bob catches fish.Uncle Bob talks to fish,and they talk back.Uncle Bob knows the better dog breeds for salmon sniffers.he walks out his house to his boats.like he said he knows every rock in the river.hell, he might talk with them.my catchrate pales to what he does.sure appreciate all the tips, info on current runs,river clarity ,on site water tutoring,etc.its a great river with plenty of room for all.love it,went out this afternoon ,a few smallmouth,no salmon.saw a few,bit warm.maybe next time

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
thank you TroutBear...Uncle Bob catches fish.Uncle Bob talks to fish,and they talk back.Uncle Bob knows the better dog breeds for salmon sniffers.he walks out his house to his boats.like he said he knows every rock in the river.hell, he might talk with them.my catchrate pales to what he does.sure appreciate all the tips, info on current runs,river clarity ,on site water tutoring,etc.its a great river with plenty of room for all.love it,went out this afternoon ,a few smallmouth,no salmon.saw a few,bit warm.maybe next time
now ya did it BILLY,,, it's bad enough that i have to worry about rain n cold weather with this thing in my neck (7 year trach) n also making sure that the the boat is tilted with the left side higher, when i anchor, so my broken back don't hurt so bad, n i won't even talk about the waves from other boaters, but now BILL,,i have to go to the work shop n make me a BIG HEAD HARNESS, something to support the weight of my big head,,, thanks bill ;)

241 - 260 of 266 Posts