Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
221 - 240 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Guy just told me today all fish gone at 6th st lol. nice 1.

Reactions: slowpaya

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wont fish at 6th st dam anyway so he was warning away the wrong person. Plenty of tributaries and miles of river upstream for me without being bothered by so many folks.

It clearly is a good spot though, and it makes sense i guess because every fish upstream had to go through 6th st dam to get there.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I can't wait til the day 6th st is an extreme kayakers paradise! It will certainly put more fish in the upper and quicker!
Although I do agree with you there are a good amount of guys including myself that catch them ethically. The amount of fish caught by lowlifes does piss me off though.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Although I do agree with you there are a good amount of guys including myself that catch them ethically. The amount of fish caught by lowlifes does piss me off though.
Lol I saw a dude with just a 1 oz weight and a treble hook on when I was fishing Tuesday 🧐. Wonder what he was doing. Most people though do actually throw spawn bags or egg flies or beads and try to hook fish in the mouth, it’s not all bad down there.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Lol I saw a dude with just a 1 oz weight and a treble hook on when I was fishing Tuesday 🧐. Wonder what he was doing. Most people though do actually throw spawn bags or egg flies or beads and try to hook fish in the mouth, it’s not all bad down there.
I've always wanted to bobber fish 6th street with beads. Maybe we could meet up and u could show me some tips, places to start.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've always wanted to bobber fish 6th street with beads. Maybe we could meet up and u could show me some tips, places to start.
Pretty easy, parking on each side of river. Both lots by dam start right at dam. Depending when you go there at times they be spots up closer but I mainly walk down stream couple few hundred yards and fish from lot down. Bead bite really heats up from here in to December. From there up it’s fairly easy to float with in your casting range. It’s easy fishing opportunity but people well they’ll be people. Last year watched a guy in spring steel with flippers on his feet and in a tube float the coffer dams, man that dude hit that first shoot perfectly ohh man sometimes fun watching the crowd!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Pretty easy, parking on each side of river. Both lots by dam start right at dam. Depending when you go there at times they be spots up closer but I mainly walk down stream couple few hundred yards and fish from lot down. Bead bite really heats up from here in to December. From there up it’s fairly easy to float with in your casting range. It’s easy fishing opportunity but people well they’ll be people. Last year watched a guy in spring steel with flippers on his feet and in a tube float the coffer dams, man that dude hit that first shoot perfectly ohh man sometimes fun watching the crowd!
I second this, also I’d say invest in boot spikes for your waders as those rocks can be mad slippery

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
First off, tnks for the info gents. Is it possible to fish good areas from shore? If possible I would luv to fish from shore and still have a chance at good fishing. I really messed up my shoulder and back on tues loading and pulling my kayak on tues. Again tnks cats!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Maybe I need to buy a new rod to fish over there lol
Yeah, there’s good fishing to had from shore on the opposite bank of the fish ladder, but you’ll be fighting the 5 other guys also trying to fish the same spot lol, you can also fish the fish ladder side, but if there’s a bunch of people fishing illegally it’ll make it real hard to do it legally past the line because you’ll snag everybody.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If your gonna fish from shore the typical rig is a 1/4 oz-1/2oz weight depending on the current, to a three foot floro leader (I use 12 pound since the water over there is generally stained and you can get away with it) to a bead or egg fly or spawn bag

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I’d say long handle or hoop net is nice to have. I have hoop I typically carry for 6th st. 10# floro for steel or hos. I’ve definitely seen it crystal clear down there but probably not the issue with recent rains. Waders are not needed in most spots I fish, the boils right below dam you need them for but just not my cup a of tea. Might be to much water flowing at times to access it, not sure about today as it’s been about a year since I’ve been down there.
Ohh also keep your gear close to you with eye on, I heard and had couple friends with poor luck getting gear stolen, just never know…

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I need to learn the holes down below the ladder. been impossible to fish the boils from shore with 6 to 7 guys above the line and the waders right at the 30 foot mark if not even closer. the one morning I hit it no waders out and wow I was able to have a blast I can cast a mile so was able to fish the second good boil that day from shore.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Going again on sunday, maybe real far upstream like lansing area since I wanna be back home early. Will report.

Reactions: futility
221 - 240 of 266 Posts